Author Topic: Rabbit Urine odor  (Read 9261 times)

Offline PVTNate

• My dumbo rat Daisy is in this picture!
Rabbit Urine odor
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
Hello, I you may have seen my post a while ago about me complaining about my female rabbits urine odor. Its really bad! Ive owned many other pets before but Ive NEVER smelled anything this bad! I keep her cage clean and i usually dont have a weak stomach when it comes to animal smells but when i change her cage the smell seriously almost makes me throw up! Ive looked into spaying her but to be honest, I'm a junior in highschool and I dont have the $300.00 its going to take to do the surgery. I love my rabbit so i definitely CAN NOT get rid of her! I dont have the heart to do that and it isn't fair. I also dont have the heart to put her outside or anywhere other than in my room! She is only a year old, so she has a while to go! Sometimes when you walk in my room it smells so bad and i know its coming from her cage because when you step up to it, you can smell it for sure! It sometimes smells like cigarettes, Body Odor, a sour smell, and when you clean it, is smells like sausage mixed with urine! I know thats a weird combination but thats what its like lol.. Well please give any advice and if you know of a vet around my area (Columbus, Ohio) that does spaying for cheap please let me know! Thank you so much!
Father of...... 3 rats (Josephine, Daisy, and Sandy), 1 Guinea Pig (Goldey), 1 mouse (Sue), and 2 gerbils (Romeo and Juliet)
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
Re: Rabbit Urine odor
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
Hi there!

Well, you kind of already hit it on the head: spaying will help with the odor; anything else is just covering it up, at best.. I know that money can be tight, and there is no good way to say this, but rabbits can be expensive pets to have.
I learned the hard way about GI stasis, but in addition to stasis, rabbits can also be prone to teeth problems as well as other problems. Why I am saying this is that somehow you will need to have a vet fund on hand for emergencies; with rabbits, there is a good chance one will arise.
Additionally, an unspayed rabbit (like unspayed rats and other animals) have a much higher chance of reproductive problems later in life, and you will not only be facing $$$ then but emergency surgery on an older animal, a situation that is much more expensive and much more dangerous for your rabbit.

Back to the problem at hand: I would look around or ask your local House Rabbit Society if they know of a reasonably priced rabbit savvy vet: http://www.columbusrabbit.org/
It is important to find a vet that works with rabbits; not all vets are familiar with their sensitive systems. Here is a list of the Colombus OH's HRS vet list, there are a good amount on it:
http://www.columbusrabbit.org/vets.php

This is a good time of year to see if people will make donations to your vet fund in lieu of holiday presents! That is one way you can start a fund.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:19:27 PM by Eileen »
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline PVTNate

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
Well thank you very much for that information! I will deficiently be looking into those websites! I'm not sure if it mentioned this but I'm in a pre-vet tech class and my teacher wants me to bring in a urine sample to make sure there isn't a problem with her. The good thing is, if i do need medicine of some sort my teacher can call a vet we work with and they dont make you have a exam they just give you the medicine!
Father of...... 3 rats (Josephine, Daisy, and Sandy), 1 Guinea Pig (Goldey), 1 mouse (Sue), and 2 gerbils (Romeo and Juliet)
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
Call around, definitely.

I'm in Dayton. The humane society down here that works with the Dayton House Rabbi Society has a mobile unit that spays rabbits for $40. Give them a call, they have an incredible success rate, they're very good and cheap.

It's less than an hour from Colmbus, too.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
I hope this isn't too old to reply to - I use this:

http://www.petco.com/product/10591/Marshall-Pet-Good-Bye-Odor-Small-Animal-Waste-Odor-Reducer.aspx?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_SanitationCleanUp

and it works like a champ. Not cheap, but you don't use all that much and it makes a huge difference. It says it takes about a week to notice, and I found that to be true. I've been using it for six months now and wouldn't want to be without it. It even worked before I had my boys neutered, and when they hit puberty the mess was pretty bad, with them marking everything all over the place.

There are also other brands out there - cost about the same and work about the same. The only thing I stay away from is the stuff they make specifically for ferrets - I don't know if that's different or stronger somehow, so I stick to the one for small animals.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
Another way to reduce the odor (and help with digestion) is to give apple cider vinegar. I retired from the show world almost a year ago. Right before retiring there was an article in the domestic rabbit about the benefits of using apple cider vinegar. 1 was aiding in digestion, the other was reducing ordor by neutralizing the amonia in the urine (the other benefits all have to do with breeding so won't go there). Anyway, I have 14 rabbits including 2 fosters. Most of the 14 are fixed (have 5 more to go) and there is little to no smell in the rabbit room.

I use 2 TBS per gallon of water. So 1 TBS per half gallon.

(PS - seems to be helping with the ratty odor too!).

I also want to comment on the expense of bunnies. I do not find them that expensive to keep. I probably spend as much on the 14 rabbits as I do on the 15 rats as far as food and litter go. Less on toys as rabbit toys last longer. Also, we just did our end of year expense list for vet care and we spent more on the ratties then the rabbits, dogs, cats, parrot, and horse put together. Some of my bunnies (but current and those that have crossed the bridge) only went to the vet twice - once to get altered and once to be pts. Most of my bunnies have lived to be 10ish, have lost bunnies as young as 8 and as old as 12 (but usually they seem to make the 10 year mark... though I have one right now who won't be 8 until June, he has a tumor attatched to his brain... doesn't seem to be affecting his quality of life but 2 different vets have recommended not operating. He's already had 2 tumors removed, my poor Noah :( )
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
I'm going to give that a go myself! If it's as effective as the No Odor, bonus. I have 25 critters in my office, and there's no odor here, either. Everyone but the finches get it. Cider vinegar would cost nothing next to that!

I haven't found my buns to be expensive, either. I get a good timothy/meadow grass hay from a local farmer for $3 per bale, good pellets aren't very expensive. Ten rats, 11 finches and the two buns all get fresh veggies and I still only go through a couple of heads of romaine, a small bag of frozen veggies and a couple of carrots a week. The only vet bills for the buns have been for neutering.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »
I should mention that it goes in their drinking water.

Also, if you have a rabbit that won't drink, it helps entice them to drink their water.

I use baking soda and regular white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean with (my own house mostly too). I have allergies to everything scented and bleach is so harsh it just works better for me.

~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »
I should mention that it goes in their drinking water.

Also, if you have a rabbit that won't drink, it helps entice them to drink their water.

I use baking soda and regular white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean with (my own house mostly too). I have allergies to everything scented and bleach is so harsh it just works better for me.

Right, I assumed drinking water. They both drink just fine --- just not out of a bottle. Never could get them to do it. Never had a critter before that wouldn't.   :-\  When I brought them home in August it was pretty warm, and I'd give them bits of ice cube when I got home - they went crazy for them. I thought it was the heat until I noticed the bottle wasn't going down. Tried leading them to it, letting them take drops off my finger next to the spout - was not happening. They'd go all day and just drink nothing. So I use the small dispensers now and they work fine if I can keep the toys out of the water.  :P It will be easy to mix vinegar in those.

White vinegar I've been meaning to pick up. I have a gallon of Healthy Habitat cage cleaner I've been using that I'm very happy with - low odor and really works on buns, birds, rats and degus alike, but pricey when you're cleaning as many cages as I do. A good alternative I can make myself will be great.

I really appreciate all your tips!

Offline PVTNate

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 02:59:38 AM »
Thank you for all your tips! I try to use the good bye odor but jeesh its expensive! So i will try the cider! I'm not sure if i mentioned this but i did make an appointment to get my rabbit neutered! I'm so excited!!:) two more weeks and the sent will hopefully be gone! Haha, funny story... For about 1 1/2 years which is my rabbits age i thought Lizzy was a female because two people told me he was! Well last month i was clipping its nails and this time i had him on his back and i saw his male parts and i then figured out my Lizzy is a boy! I tried changing his name but i just couldn't! Poor rabbit! He probably has low self esteem! I hope the other rabbits dont make fun of him at the vet;)!
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*

Offline DebraY

• Ritten
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:05 AM »
I just transfer in our new house. And same as you, I had experience that on my first day in our new house. There is a stinky smell which I cannot identified. It is really disgusting when I smell that unbearable odor. It will surely adds up to your mood for the whole day. Who wants to live in a home that smells bad? I'm sure no one! As this, I have read an article here. Well, it somehow help my problem. Thank God!