Author Topic: Kitten with URI  (Read 651 times)

Offline LittlePaws

• Posts Too Much!
    • Little Paws Rat Rescue
Kitten with URI
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
We regularly foster kittens for our local Humane Society. We took our four last foster to the HS to be spayed and put up for adoption on November 17th. After a week my mom and I decided there was one little girl that we just needed to adopt. She fit into our family perfectly, so we went to pick her up Wednesday night (just before Thanksgiving). Well, in that time span she managed to catch an URI. She came home with some antibiotics: Clavamox (.3ml BID) and then Gentamicin eye drops. By Saturday it was clear that she was getting worse, not better. Her nose was completely stuffed up and she had troubles breathing and eating. So, she went back to the vet on Tuesday. This time they gave her Doxycycline (.1ml BID) and Terramycin eye ointment.

It's been a couple days and she seems worse. Again. She has now lost her appetite completely (she won't even accept treats), all she wants to do is nap, and her eyes are getting gooey now. At least with the initial antibiotics she was attempting to eat (though having troubles because she couldn't breathe properly) and her eyes were just watery.

I don't know if we should let the antibiotics work a little longer or give the vet a call. I just feel so bad because she looks miserable now. At least before she was acting like a kitten.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Kitten with URI
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
As a general rule, if it's been more than 3 days and the antibiotics aren't working, she needs a different antibiotic, or a different treatment altogether.  A kitten that age not eating is a serious issue.  If you can get any liquidy canned food (add water or KMR if you've got it) into her via syringe, it might make it a bit easier on her. 

Good luck!  I hope she's feeling better soon.

Offline LittlePaws

• Posts Too Much!
    • Little Paws Rat Rescue
Re: Kitten with URI
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:19:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Of course, after this post I was able to get her to eat some wet food mixed with warm water and KMR. One of the benefits of fostering is that we almost always have it on hand. Haha. But, she did eat and drink for me. Now she's climbing all over things and trying to eat my dinner. I guess she's not as sick as I thought she was.