Author Topic: Feeding Insanity  (Read 647 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Feeding Insanity
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
The girls have been doing much better on most of their issues, but are regressing on feeding. I have to trick them in order to feed them. I make them think they are getting fed in one area, close the door, prepare their food, set it down in a different area, and then release the psychopaths to feed. They become frenzied when it's time to eat. It's down right ridiculous. Right now, I'm managing them with the trickery and the trusty water gun when they get REALLY crazy, but I'm hoping to find a solution that will work permanently. They had been doing perfectly well and now that they've regressed, I'm worried that they will once again be perfect and then regress again as adults that will be much bigger, stronger, and harder to control. I'm thinking it may be an environmental trigger, but I can't figure out what the trigger is for them. There are no new cats to the neighborhood. There are also no new dogs. Something has them feeling their food is threatened. So any suggestions guys?

1. What could be freaking them out?
2. What's the best way to avoid another regression once I get them through this bout?

* Side note: To demonstrate just how bad it's become, my male dog who has completely ignored them since their arrival with the exception of going to get them if they get in trouble and let't double trouble do whatever they want to him, pinned Miss O like a Mama Dog would pin a disobedient puppy because she was so completely out of control trying to climb up my leg using claws and teeth to get to the plate of food in my hand.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Feeding Insanity
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
Sounds like maybe you should let your dog handle it!   :yelcutelaugh:

Seriously, though, I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions.  Has anything else changed in your house recently?  New decorations for the Holidays maybe?  Some cats don't deal well with change in general, so anything could make things worse again, just by virtue of being different.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Re: Feeding Insanity
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
There are decorations, but they aren't in an area the girls are allowed to go so they haven't seen them.  And he was PISSED, apparently his limit is teeth on Mommy.