Author Topic: I can't save them all, but hopefully I can save this one...  (Read 8507 times)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
I can't save them all, but hopefully I can save this one...
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
On Friday I was testing soil in an empty farm field behind a local Walmart for my work.  It was a 20 degree morning here.  While I worked I noticed I was being watched by this:

He sat there at the edge of the field all morning.  During a break, I walked over to see him and figured he'd just run off like a normal feral cat.  He didn't even move.  After I talked with him for awhile, he began 'talking' back and I finally got him to come up to me.  Only then did I really get to see what kind of shape he was in.  He looks fluffy, but he's completely skin and bones and has double cauliflower ear.  He seemed sweet, so I asked my fiance to bring a cat carrier to my site.  I couldn't leave him there.  I told myself that I'd just drop him off at my vet later that night so that he could either get care or at least be put out of his misery.

When I got home with him, I set up a play pen for him in my reptile room and bathed him right away.  He was covered in dirt and burrs, and had 3 full ticks on him.  While grooming him and getting him set up, I realized that he is a neutered male and an absolutely cuddle bug!  His purr-er doesn't stop for anything! I'm pretty sure he was raised in a loving home until the last few weeks/months.

Bath time!

Skinny boy!

Spine :(

We got to the vet Friday night.  Everybody absolutely loved him!  He was sweet and happy with everyone through all the tests, poking, and proding.  He was tested negative for feline leukemia/aids, got a full blood work up, was checked for a microchip, got his first dose of dewormer, started on Clavamox, was dosed with Revolution, was injected with fluids, and was given an appetite stimulant.  The big surprise was he only weighed in at 7 pounds!!!  My two healthy girls are around 9 lbs, and he should easily be a 12 lb+ cat. 

We were given the choice of leaving him there, where he would be given care and then adopted out - or we could pay for the vet work that night and take him home.  He came home with us.  Fiance payed for the vet bill as part of my Christmas present.  ;D

The next surprise came yesterday when we decided to introduce him to the dogs.  He loves to just sleep on your lap or curl up next to you, so I hated to just leave him in his temp pen all day.  I let him view them on opposite sides of a baby gate first.  After no bad reactions from any party, they were allowed to sniff him while I held him, let him on the bed near them, let them walk around together, etc.  He tolerates the nosy dogs with ease!  He had to have been raised with them.  My two girlie cats are very skittish around the dogs and stay away from them at all costs, so my dogs are loving that this kitty doesn't run from them and their cold noses!  :P

Basically he moved right in.  He's not out of the woods yet, though.  His blood work came back showing his liver levels are extremely high.  They should be at 50 and they're at 300.  This could be due to trauma, a tumor, or lack of eating.  I'm betting it's the lack of eating, but it could be trauma as well.  It's possible he was also hit by a car.  His gait isn't quite right, he can barely use his back legs to jump up, and walking/sitting is done very gingerly.  For now I can't tell if all that is due to a previous injury or just current lack of muscle.  His leg muscles seem non-existent.

He is eating and drinking *somewhat* and everything has been working its way back out.  He's slightly picky about food.  I feed EVO wet and dry here.  So far the EVO wet got a 'huh?' look, pureed tuna was snubbed, and EVO dry was barely tolerated.  He only ate just under 1/3 of a cup on his own between Friday night and this morning.  Due to that, when I went grocery shopping today I picked up a few of the standard crap foods that people normally give to see if he'd like them better - So far the winner is *gag* Alley Cat.  :icon_puke_r:  Anything to get weight on him though.

Here's a few more pictures from yesterday:

This kitty likes me!

I love kitty.

Safe and warm.

So, as of right now, it looks like I have another cat.  For now he's been dubbed 'Happy', but I'm not sure if that will stick.  Everyone (except Fiance) keeps telling me "You can't save them all."  I agree.  But maybe I can save this one.  Good thoughts our way please!  :)
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: I can't save them all, but hopefully I can save this one...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
I hope you're successful in getting more weight on him quickly.  He looks like a Happy cat.  ;)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
Thank you.  :)  I am also supplementing what he eats on his own with a mash of tuna/wet food/nutri-cal that a syringe feed him.  He takes it without too much trouble. 

He is such a sweetie.  We keep joking that he's going to end up being the best cat I've ever had.  Even if he doesn't make it, at least a gave him a good ending.  :)
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Sidders

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
My male that I took in from outside was also only 7 pounds, and now he's a healthy 11.8 lbs.! Although he was never a picky eater. He loooves kibble, but doesn't like wet cat food very much. He'll chow down cat kibble, dog kibble, ferret kibble, doesn't matter to him. Strange boy. ::)

Best wishes for Happy to get healthy soon! He hit the jackpot. ;D

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
My Isis had liver failure so bad that she turned bright yellow (hers was a rare reaction to her thyroid meds), and we brought her back from that with metronidazole and prednisone, so it's certainly possible for him to recover.  Cat livers are pretty resilient things.

Offline KylaMissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »
Glad he found someone nice to take him home and get him on the road to recovery. Here's hoping he puts on weight and his liver levels go back to normal!

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
Isn't it awful to see them so skinny like that? Charlie, the last stray that I found a home for, weighed in at only 7 pounds too. His body is as long and as tall as my 14 lb female so it made my heart hurt to see him so skinny like that. Part of Charlie's problems were that he was pretty beat up when we found him. He had deep bite wounds and a pretty nasty infection, which might have been burning up anything he put into his system just trying to stay alive. I'm so glad you found a place in your heart for Happy. My fiance has given up telling me that I can't save them all. When something comes up, he just tells the person to call me and I'll find a way to fix it. You can't save them all, but I'm damn sure going to try.

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:15 AM »
Here are some interesting names that I got when I stuck 'happy' into google translate  :BlueDumboSmileTongue: I love odd names so Idk... tought maybe these would give you ideas if you wanted to change the name of the lucky guy

rád (czech) & rad/radosny (Polish)
boldog (Hungarian)
senang (Indonesian)
felice/ contento/ lieto/ beato/ buono/ propizio (Italian)
Felix (Latin)
Feliz (Portuguese & Spanish)
Memnun/ mutlu/ kutlu (Turkish)
Hapus (Welsh)

Okay... so most of these are kind of off the wall.... sorry for the odd names
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
Thank you everyone! :)  It's really great hearing about other cats making it through after being like Happy (or worse!).  We have a follow up appointment for another weigh in and blood work on Monday.

So far, he's doing better and better.  He's eating well now that I started letting him have Purina dry food and Friskies wet.  I bought a few other cans of better wet foods to have him try, but with his picky butt, we'll see. 

He's also starting to show more of his personality.  He's water crazy!  He loves to play in and with it.  I made the mistake of showing him that water comes from the bathtub faucet when I was worried he wasn't drinking.  Now he loves to jump in the tub and paw at the faucet until you turn it on.  Then he'll just gaze at the water and let himself get soaked.  Weirdo.   :)

And thanks for the list of names MomofJixi!  I love different names too.  He's already starting to learn Happy.  This name is probably going to stick just like my older girl kitty is named Stinky.  She was a feral kitten that smelled horrid when I brought her home.  She learned Stinky before I could think of what else to call her.   :P

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »
He looks so lonely in that first pic. Its great that he found a good home.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:01 AM »
What a lucky boy, your Happy!
I'm keeping him in my thoughts, I hope that everything turns out well.  :heart:

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
Well, we had our follow up appointment on Monday.  My normal vet saw him this time (since it was a last minute appointment last time, we were just able to get in with another random vet in the practice).  She fell in love with him like everyone else.   :heart:  All we did this time was a weigh in, another run of deworming, and blood work just focusing on his liver.  Turns out, he put on half a pound and his liver levels dropped from 300 to 80.  She agrees he wouldn't have lasted much longer outside and still has a way to go with gaining weight, but after he does, he should be a healthy happy boy.  ;D 

Now our only issues are going to be introducing him to the girlie cats and working on my border mix's behavior with him.  She is one of those dogs that is dominant and very intelligent, so she knows all the rules of the house.  When any other animal does something she sees as breaking those rules (jumping on the table, going near our dinner dishes, etc), she warns them to stop.  If they don't, she makes them stop.  Up until now, she's only done this with the basset, because he's the only one she's with constantly.  She's now trying this with Happy, but he of course doesn't know 'her' rules.  They aren't allowed any time together without me there, because of this.

She also tries to herd Happy back in the room if he goes to leave and she doesn't want him to go yet.  He's getting annoyed with her pretty quick.  So we're working on that.  :-\

For now, though he stays in a cage I made out of those Target shelves that are used for C&C cages while I'm at work and at night.  He loves it and will go back to sleep in there, even when he's allowed free roam.

But anyway...more pictures as soon as my busy fiance has the time to get them off his camera.  He stalked Happy with his dslr one day and took a bunch of adorable ones, but he's been working 14+ hour days this week.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes.  It looks like I got to Happy just in time.  :)

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
Hooray!  I'm glad his liver levels are normalizing! 

Good luck sorting out all the "other animal" issues with him.  :)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
A Happy Update!   ;D

He's still doing very well.  He now plays, grooms, talks, and everything else a normal cat should do - all of which he didn't when I found him.  He's also still a purr machine.  We all love him.

He refuses to tolerate the dogs anymore, but was fine when he met the girlie cats.  The only one with an issue was my youngest girl, Lila.  Her reaction to him was to hide in a corner and meow or hiss a warning when he came near.  She was just warning him, though, and he understood the warnings and gave her space. 

Our very last issue is getting weight on him.  I feel like he's not gaining fast enough, but that could just be me overreacting.  I dropped off a stool sample at the vet's this week to make sure he was completely de-wormed and it came back negative.  So, we'll do another true weigh in at the vets in another few weeks.  For now, I've just been checking him by holding him on our home scale.  It hasn't gone higher than 8.5 lbs - which is still much better than 7. 

But enough of the boring stuff.  Pictures!!!

So Regal.

Back before he started grooming himself.  He had a bit of a drooling issue, too.  :P

Just hanging out in the bathtub.  Pretty normal for this weirdo.

Observing his new fountain.  Oh, and check out the extra toe!  I forgot to mention he's a poly!!

I'm not sure about this thing, Mom.

How about you just rub my belly instead?

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
My cat Trinity has that lovely longish hair on her belly too! It love to rub her tummy.
He is looking, soso much better.

As for that weight...maybe he just isn't that large of a cat?

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
Thanks! :) I'm still really thinking he could use a few more pounds.  Even though they're not as prominent as before, I can still see his hip bones when he stands.   My girls are each around a healthy 9 lbs for their size and he makes them look downright chubby.  :P. Hopefully he'll slowly get there.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
If he's had a drooling problem, did the vet check his teeth?  It might be related to the weight gain issue.  The other question would be... Did any of the bloodwork check his thyroid?  Those are two things that I could think of that would cause a kitty to not gain weight when on a good diet. 

He looks pretty darned content, though.  :)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the extra ideas!  The drooling has stopped since he became stronger and his teeth appeared to be fine during his check-up, BUT I'm not sure if his thyroid was checked.  I wasn't told what exactly was checked. 

Sooo, I just checked the bill and it says 'SMA CHEM (ALT, ALP, BUN, GLU, CRE, & lytes)' - liver, kidney, glucose, and electrolytes (correct me if I'm wrong!).  So, nope.  If he hasn't gained more in a few weeks, we'll definitely get that checked.

I honestly didn't even think of that.  Actually, my old cat had thyroid issues toward the end of her life, so that's something I should have thought of.  Thank you!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »
Yeah, they just did a blood chemistry.  For thyroid testing, they usually have to send it away.  The tests they did can usually be done in house.  If his weight won't go up, no matter what he's eating, the thyroid is definitely worth checking!  Were they able to give you a guess on his age?

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
Between his general appearance and teeth, my vet was figured around 5 years old.  Seems to be about right, so that's what I'm sticking with.  :)

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
If that's close, he'd be a little young for thyroid issues.  Usual age of onset is between 9-11, sometimes later.  It's probably still worth checking other blood levels if nothing else turns up as an issue, though.  :)

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
Wow, he's really cool looking! I love how his front paws are crossed when checking out the water fountain.

My eye got caught at when you said he looked regal. I looked up names that mean "regal" and one came up so I thought I'd tell you: Alaric! Just in case you are looking for a name..
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline JustJessii

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 03:22:36 AM »
He's very handsome.  I'm not sure why, since most of what you said about him is the total opposite, but, he reminds me of my cat, DC. I think its the way you described him, as if you have a lot of respect for him and he returns it. Either way, I'm very glad you found him.

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Hi everyone!  I just started coming back around here a bit more often again, so I thought I'd update on the Hap man.  Basically, he has deigned himself king of the house.  He goes where he pleases and does what he pleases.  And we wouldn't have it any other way.  :)  He's turned out to be a truly awesome cat.  He jumps over all the baby gates so he has full reign.  He handles the dogs with ease and tolerates the moody girlie cats. 

He turned himself into a little fatty.  Yes, I said he did it - though, it was my fault be being oblivious.  Once he got up to around 12 lbs, I changed him from free feeding to the same strict diet I have the girls on (just a little more than the little 9lb-ers get).  He, however, had other ideas.  I had purchased a small bag of natural balance food when I was still worried that he wasn't liking our EVO.  He didn't like that one either, so I rolled up the bag and put it in the back of a shelf (you can already see where this is going...).  One day I noticed that the bag wasn't rolled up anymore AND there was only about 1/4 of it left!  The bag was removed that day BUT he had already ballooned to 14.5 pounds!  Little jerk was very angry at me for removing his midnight snack.  We still fight about how much food he gets to how much he thinks he deserves, but he is currently back down to a tolerable 13 lbs.

The good part is I've started using his food addiction for good.  He currently being clicker trained along with most of my other kids.  He took to it as fast as the dogs.  So far we've only done "Come" since that's the biggest thing I wanted him to know.  He will target to wherever I point my finger when I say come.  He likes to go out in our backyard, so the 'come' cue was very important for him.

Enough of the talk - PICTURES!!

Out for a stroll.

Do you mind?

He can be so awkward when he sleeps.

They take over the bed as soon as we get up for work.

I heart him.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments on my special little man.  We definitely were meant to find him.  :heart:

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
WOW!!! He looks soooo much better. He looks amazing!
Good job :thumbsup2:

♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Aww! He's looking so good! Yay
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
He looks quite contented to be king of your house.  :)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:51 AM »
Wow he looks just like a little panther!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 04:00:21 AM »
I love him happily turning his face to the sun with squinty eyes.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Meatball

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »
What a handsome man!!!

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »
Thanks again everyone!  :)

I thought I'd share a little Hap story from a few days ago.  I leave for work first and my fiance about 15 minutes after.  As he was heading to his car, he glanced back in our driveway and sees a black cat heading towards our house from past our garage.  After a double take, he realizes that's OUR black cat.  The only thing is - I had just let OUR black cat into the basement to hang out with the girl cats as I was leaving for work.

He called to Hap and told him to come while pointing to the ground.  Hap came right over - yeay training!!  Hap didn't appear to have an injuries, but he was completely poofed and agitated (something I've never seen from this laid back cat!).  He got Hap back in the house and then went in the basement to try and figure out what happened and make sure the girls were still there!  Luckily, both girls were accounted for, but Mike found a pane from our old basement window literally pushed outward into the driveway and broken into two pieces.

We believe that an outdoor cat that had previously been coming around and fighting with our girls through the window came back again.  Our big tough Hap man charged the window, popped it out, and then chased that mean other cat off of our property!  Also, it looks like he was headed back home when Mike found him.  He does love us!  :heart:

I'm still very grateful that Mike noticed him heading back to the house.  Because of that this story still has a happy ending!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
Hopefully that outdoor kitty has learned his lesson, and will stay far far away now!   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
It's awesome that he came back! That is such a big fear of mine.
I know my cats love me...but, how much? If they got out...would then come back?

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
Haha! I hope so Marybelle!  My chasing him off sure didn't work, but now we busted out the true muscle of the house!  :yelcutelaugh:

One my kids getting out and not finding their way back home is a huge fear of mine too!  I could never have an indoor/outdoor cat.  I'd be too worried about where they are and what could be happening to them.  Hap is actually my first cat that has an interest in going outside - he demands it, actually.  I ablige him, but only with a collar and harness on in our fenced yard. 

If it had been one of my skittish girls that ended up outside, though, I'm worried I wouldn't see them again simply because of their own confusion and fear.  :-\

Offline Lynke

• <3
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
Happy is too cute <3 I love how his face and ears look XD my old 2 cats were indoor/outdoor but I would never do it again. They would pretty much give us no choice, being ferals before, after the busted screens up several times and found a way outside from inside the house(which we never did figure out x.x) we gave up. Our current cat kalvin thinks he wants to be outside but... e.e he actually is terrified once he gets their on a harness and leash. Best of luck with hap :D it seems like he found the perfect human :3

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
It's always awesome when you can save a homeless kitty, or any animal. There is a gorgeous kitty near my apartment. I tried so hard to earn her trust so I could bring her in and give her a warm home before it got too cold outside, but I never accomplished that. I have been putting food out for her, but she doesn't seem to be coming around anymore. I hope somebody else saved her because it breaks my heart thinking she's out there in the cold. But, the kitty I have now is one I found outside, so that makes me happy.