Author Topic: What hammocks have you made lately?  (Read 169993 times)

Offline alexyay

Re: What hammocks have you made lately?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 01:38:05 AM »
I'm going to have to post some sets once I finish them. Chelsea, I really wish I could afford all those nice fleece colours! I have a ridiculous amount of flannelette stuff but they just don't stand out as much without the contrasting fleece. After I looked at the hammocks from the US and my city actually got a decent fabric store I started using flannel - it's amazing. Cotton has cute patterns but it gets too creased, is quite thin and freys a lot easier - the flannel stuff that I've been using is perfect and works as an inner too if I don't have any fleece or are reversing hammocks.
The boys: Ferbuson, Calcifer, Alduin, Oscar and Topher :)
Rest in peace, Victor baby <3

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
I just finished a hammock I tested out. It is like a wrapped candy hammock. (Also, I hand sewed it)

candy hammock by RatNook, on Flickr
~Alyssa

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
That's adorable Ratnook! You could sell those if ratties like them.
I wish I could think of new hammock designs..

So my no-sew hammocks didn't really work out,  I'll just have to wait until I get my machine looked at, then I can start sewing again!

Offline Suzanne81

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
Here are some hammocks I made (lately)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
Those are awesome, Suzanne!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
WOW! You have so many awesome designs! I love the last one, I would buy it if I could. :D
Do you have a hammock shop? Your designs are so awesome i'm sure people would buy your stuff.

Offline Suzanne81

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »
No I don't have a shop, I just make them for my own rats.
On this site you can find tutorials, it's in dutch but maybe you can make them by looking at the pictures, the person who owns this sit keeps on making more tutorials, very nice site I think.
http://www.jollyrats.nl/kruisbuis

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Since I don't have a working sewing machine anymore and I have very little patience for hand-sewing, I have been crocheting wool hammocks and then felting them in the washer/dryer. No holes to catch little toes, and they're a favorite in the cage since they're so warm. Sometimes I'll brush one side with a stiff wire brush to make it fuzzy - it makes it softer and warmer. Perfect winter hammocks  :BlueDumboSmile: They have five of them, and I think I'll start another one today.
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
@Penny, I recently got into felting and I was wondering if felted hammocks would be a good idea! I'd love to see some pictures if you have any. As soon as I got some wool yarn i'm going to make some! Lol i'm excited now :D

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
No I don't have a shop, I just make them for my own rats.
On this site you can find tutorials, it's in dutch but maybe you can make them by looking at the pictures, the person who owns this sit keeps on making more tutorials, very nice site I think.
http://www.jollyrats.nl/kruisbuis
Thanks Suzanne. Hopefully i'll be able to figure out how to make them.

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
@Penny, I recently got into felting and I was wondering if felted hammocks would be a good idea! I'd love to see some pictures if you have any. As soon as I got some wool yarn i'm going to make some! Lol i'm excited now :D

They make wonderful hammocks! I don't have any pictures unfortunately, I don't know where the damned camera cord is or how to use it. :doh:

I'm fond of Fisherman's Wool. ;) It felts wonderfully, comes in 400+ yard balls, and it's undyed (this is a plus for me as I also dye yarn). I also like Paton's Class Wool and Alpine Wool.

Also, remember that when it felts it becomes smaller and denser! Make 'em really big and fairly thin. Once I made the stupid decision to use three strands of worsted wool and crochet with my largest hook. I swear it was hard as a rock when it was felting. My rats won't even use it since it's so ridiculously thick!

Also, if you are crocheting these, I suggest bordering them and when you reach the corner, chain 10 or so to create loops from which to hang the finished hammocks. They will felt, but won't disappear like your stitches. I hope that made sense.

Have fun!
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
Thanks. I think i'll probably knit them. I only recently started learning how to crochet so i'm not very good at it lol!

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
That's an amazing idea. I've crocheted quite a few hammocks with just regular yarn but switched to sewing fleece for the winter. I figured regular yarn wouldn't be warm enough but I never thought to use wool. Could you recommend any felting instruction website? Its sad because my dad owns several sheep but they are the shedding kind and dont get sheered. I'd love to own a good wool sheep or two someday...

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
Here's a link about felting http://thecrochetdoctor.blogspot.com/2008/05/felting-crochet-how-to-do-it.html
It's really easy to felt. Basically you knit/crochet something REALLY big and shrink it to the size you want.

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
Thanks~ I'll give this a shot once I find some good wool. I have a front load washer so I hope I can use it.

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
Lots of great hammock designs!   :bow:    Most of which are above my skill level.

I decided to make a pocket hammock today since I was going to clean cages and I'm low on not-yet-chewed-up ones:

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
Oh I like that! It's different then I make my pocket hammocks but It's really nice. :)

Offline Suzanne81

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »
Nice fabric!

I was wondering, that little rings (don't know what they are called) stay in the fabric when you put them in the laundry? I have different types of them here but I loose half of them in the laundry  ;D

Offline Suzanne81

« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:05 AM »
Christmas set

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
Nice fabric!

I was wondering, that little rings (don't know what they are called) stay in the fabric when you put them in the laundry? I have different types of them here but I loose half of them in the laundry  ;D
I call them grommets but not sure if that's the right term. I don't have any trouble with them coming off in the laundry, but they sometimes come out if the cloth gets chewed around them.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »
Nice fabric!

I use grommets, some people use eyelets also. I used to use grommets that came out super easily because the setter I had was total junk! It didn't set them tight enough so the fabric would pull through easily. I recently got a new setter that's amazing ! It sets them so tight, It's pretty much impossible for them to fall off. These are the setters if you're interested: http://grommetworld.com/setters.aspx
I got the size #0 since I use size #0 grommets :D

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
Christmas set

Cute! I got 2 yards of fabric for Christmas ( ;D) so when I have my sewing machine fixed i'll make a big set. I'm going to make a set of liners, and a bunch of hammocks!

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
A hammock I made a few days ago that I forgot to post pictures of :)

Hammock by KD4714, on Flickr

Annd this isn't a hammock but I got some fabric for Christmas that I LOVE. Isn't it pretty!

Fabric by KD4714, on Flickr

Fabric by KD4714, on Flickr

I am so upset that I can't use the fabric now.... My machine seems to be jammed.. I have to take it to the shop first :(

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Great hammocks everyone! :thumbsup2:

RatNook: Your candy hammock is super cute! :heart:

Suzanne81: Your hammocks are simply beauties! :heart:

Offline Suzanne81

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
Today I made some new hammocks