Author Topic: What hammocks have you made lately?  (Read 170748 times)

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
Re: What hammocks have you made lately?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Well I finally made some stuff and am in the process of redoing my cage. Here are a few pics and I'll post the whole thing in the critter nation thread. I need to add a couple more things but its coming out nice. I also made some bunkbeds and liners too.

Offline SchönDers

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »
Well I finally made some stuff and am in the process of redoing my cage. Here are a few pics and I'll post the whole thing in the critter nation thread. I need to add a couple more things but its coming out nice. I also made some bunkbeds and liners too.

random, but you have the same tv remote that I have!!

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
    • Etsy~
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
It is a darn good remote.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 10:56:32 PM »
I love the colors of those hammocks, Nari Caution!

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
    • Etsy~
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
I love the colors of those hammocks, Nari Caution!

^-^ thank you. I couldn't find any cute boy patterns so I went with my favorite colors. I woulda used purple instead of blue but I think I made the right call. I'm folding matching origami to string up and then I think my new set-up will be post-worthy and im pretty proud of it. the solid greens and tiedye blue all came from the remnants bin along with some terrycloth plus the 50% off fleece sale at joanns, I only paid $30 total and still dont know what to do with the rest. Anyone have suggestions on what to make? Right now im making just some pieces of fabric to clip to the side of the cage. I made tubes but they'd always squish them and go under them so I figure if they just want a blankey, I'll make blankies then.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
Well I won't post order pictures since that's kind of like "cheating" (lol), but I have made some new hammocks for my mice recently :)  Pretty much any time I cut up orders, I'm left with scraps that are too small for rat-sized items, but too big to not feel guilty throwing them out, so now that I have mice, I just use those scraps for their hammocks!  Which means they now have eleventy billion hammocks  :P

<~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
Chelsey! I need to learn to take pictures like yours! All mine look like squished balls of fleece!
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
Well I won't post order pictures since that's kind of like "cheating" (lol), but I have made some new hammocks for my mice recently :)  Pretty much any time I cut up orders, I'm left with scraps that are too small for rat-sized items, but too big to not feel guilty throwing them out, so now that I have mice, I just use those scraps for their hammocks!  Which means they now have eleventy billion hammocks  :P

Ooh your hammocks look so pretty!! I'm glad you're participating in this thread, that way I can drool over the cute mice hammies!

What size do you usually make mice sized flat hammocks? I have some scrap fabric that I want to see if I could make mice sized hammocks. I don't have any mice but I could give them away or something. I don't want to waste the scraps that are too small for rats either!

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »
@lea, even if you only make very basic hammocks we'd love to see them anyway!

LOL, well OK, I'll show you what I mean about how Jack "decorates" his hammocks. This is a plain flat hammock, to which he has added several pieces of fleece chewed to the appropriate degree and a plastic food dish placed at a jaunty angle just right for wrapping his tail around.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
@lea, even if you only make very basic hammocks we'd love to see them anyway!

LOL, well OK, I'll show you what I mean about how Jack "decorates" his hammocks. This is a plain flat hammock, to which he has added several pieces of fleece chewed to the appropriate degree and a plastic food dish placed at a jaunty angle just right for wrapping his tail around.

LOL! He looks so proud of himself!

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud mama of Rat Town!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
it's not a super good view of it, but i made this simple flat with some cute flannel i forgot i had lying around. it's for the boys and they have no idea what flats are for, but tonight, i finally caught lamb chop sleeping in it!

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
it's not a super good view of it, but i made this simple flat with some cute flannel i forgot i had lying around. it's for the boys and they have no idea what flats are for, but tonight, i finally caught lamb chop sleeping in it!

Is the red fabric flannel and the printed fabric cotton?

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
nope, the red is fleece! the printed fabric is some really adorable flannel i got at hobby lobby last year before i even got the rats haha. i have so much of it that i figured i better start using it for something. this is the first hammock that i used fleece loops for the hanging hooks instead of ribbon too, and i like it so much better than ribbon.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
Oh I see. I was just wondering because I want to try to make some hammocks that are cotton and flannel because I like working with flannel better then fleece. But maybe the rats wouldn't like it very much? I just thought you might have done that and then you'd have some input on the subject.

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
i've never actually done that, no, but i understand not liking to work with fleece. i actually hate the feel of it. it makes my skin crawl ahdlakhda, but i find that the rats do love it because it's so soft.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »
i've never actually done that, no, but i understand not liking to work with fleece. i actually hate the feel of it. it makes my skin crawl ahdlakhda, but i find that the rats do love it because it's so soft.

Yeah flannel is kind of soft, but they probably prefer fleece.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
Whee hammocks! There are so many pretty ones on this thread...

I really only make simple flat ones (because my boys chew up anything else  :doh:), but I've done cubes and tubes before. If those weren't shredded, I'd post pictures of them as well! Haha

Flat one:

Flat one with odd corners:

Pockety thing (I don't expect this one to survive till morning >.<):

As you can see, I had an abundance of holly fabric. I even had more, so I made a liner and ramp cover:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
I love that set Roorat!
I'm going to make some no-sew flat hammocks today (hopefully today). I'll post them!
Does anyone know how to make no-sew hammocks other than regular flats?  :'(

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
I love that set Roorat!
I'm going to make some no-sew flat hammocks today (hopefully today). I'll post them!

I got pocket ones from my secret santa!

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
    • Etsy~
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
I love that set Roorat!

I think if you cut the edges of the fabric into strips you can tie the strips together to make no-sew pocket hammocks and tubes. Maybe even a cube, but I'm not sure how sturdy it would be. Bunk-beds are easy enough, just a square and then a bigger square and paperclip the corners together. My guys seem to prefer bunk-beds and pocket hammys since it's chilly now and those are the coziest. Hopefully someone else with more no-sew experience can help you out.
I'm considering offering a different kind of hammock-making service but it might be too much trouble. I was thinking I'd have people cut out the fabric how they want it and mail it to me, I'd sew everything up, and mail it back. I'd probably only ask for a couple dollars per item plus return shipping which shouldn't be too expensive. That way people get exactly what they want, get to pick out and cut their own fabric, but just don't need to do the actual sewing. It sounds like there could be some complications to that though and I'd need to photograph everything before and after to cover my bases. But it might be a nice option for people who WANT to make their own hammocks but don't have a sewing machine since hand-sewing takes forever.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
I love that set Roorat!

I got pocket ones from my secret santa!
Do you know how they did it?? My fosters LOVE pocket hammocks.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »
A pocket hammock? You just fold a long standard so that both ends meet in the middle and sew into place, or if you're doing no-sew you'd have to cut strips along the long sides and tie into place.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Thank you. I know how to make sewn pocket hammocks but no-sew hammocks I wasn't sure about.
If you just tie them wouldn't they not be very sturdy? If I was going to give to people or donate i'd want them to be nice. And awhile from now I may want to sell them (Not now though).

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
I love that set Roorat!

I think if you cut the edges of the fabric into strips you can tie the strips together to make no-sew pocket hammocks and tubes. Maybe even a cube, but I'm not sure how sturdy it would be. Bunk-beds are easy enough, just a square and then a bigger square and paperclip the corners together. My guys seem to prefer bunk-beds and pocket hammys since it's chilly now and those are the coziest. Hopefully someone else with more no-sew experience can help you out.
I'm considering offering a different kind of hammock-making service but it might be too much trouble. I was thinking I'd have people cut out the fabric how they want it and mail it to me, I'd sew everything up, and mail it back. I'd probably only ask for a couple dollars per item plus return shipping which shouldn't be too expensive. That way people get exactly what they want, get to pick out and cut their own fabric, but just don't need to do the actual sewing. It sounds like there could be some complications to that though and I'd need to photograph everything before and after to cover my bases. But it might be a nice option for people who WANT to make their own hammocks but don't have a sewing machine since hand-sewing takes forever.

Thank you, my problem with your ideas is if I give them to people, sell, donate ETC, i'd want them to be very nice, instead of using pins and such. Thanks though! :)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »
Thank you. I know how to make sewn pocket hammocks but no-sew hammocks I wasn't sure about.
If you just tie them wouldn't they not be very sturdy? If I was going to give to people or donate i'd want them to be nice. And awhile from now I may want to sell them (Not now though).

I guess it all depends, I've never done it before, but I'd probably do a double layer and tie all of the layers together with square knots, then fold them 'till the ends meet in the middle and tie with square knots again, the strips on the longer sides would probably have to be longer because they're tied twice. Here is a popular no-sew site/page: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy