Author Topic: thinking about breeding hamsters? thoughts opinions & advice?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Purplezebra

thinking about breeding hamsters? thoughts opinions & advice?
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
First of all, sorry if this is the wrong board. I'm bad about putting stuff in the wrong board.  :doh:

Second of all, i just hope no one gets mad at me putting this. I know that some people don't like intentional breeding, but just hear me out.

Okay, so I'm only 15 (16 in March) but i really want to breed hamsters. Winter whites and robos, to be exact. I want to be a good, knowledgable, reputable breeder. My mom and I raised hamsters from when I was five till I was about nine. I obviously didn't know a lot back then, it was just my job to feed them, clean their cages, etc. I LOVED it. She is also a (reputable) dog breeder. lately I've pretty much made it my job to do all of their care, i even do most of the care for the puppies. I love animals with a passion, I want to do some career with helping and taking care of animals. Ever since my  :heart: rat passed away in November, I've been obsessed with animals, spending most of my free time caring for them and whatnot.

I would breed the hamsters for temperament and personality, obviously. I've never owned winter white or robo hamsters, but I've owned Syrians and Campbells dwarves, so I imagine the care is similar to campbells (obviously I can research and learn more). Now, i know one argument against breeding is, "there are shelters overflowing with animals! go to the nearest shelter and adopt there!!" The problem is, there are no hamsters whatsoever in any local shelters as far as I know. On petfinder, the nearest hamsters are in Ohio (I live in western Kentucky). I think the reason people get rid of dwarf hamsters is because they buy them at the local petstore and they are untame and they want to get rid of them. In my opinion, dwarf hamsters MUST be tamed at a young age or they will most likely grow up and be biters for life. I want to breed hamsters that you can actually play with and enjoy.

I already have all the supplies I could ever need, including cages (aquariums and dozens of wire cages), toys, bowls, etc. The only things I would have to buy after I begin breeding is bedding and food. I think I will be able to dedicate a large portion of my time to the hamsters. After all, I only plan to have a litter or two at a time. I have a HUGE bedroom (bigger than most master bedrooms) and another room that is connected to my room that is roughly 3/4's the size of my room that can be my pet room (gotta love being an only child in a house that was built by Amish!)

I really want other peoples opinions and advice. I know I can provide quality care for all the hammies. Theres only a few problems though. First of all, I'm not completely sure of how I'm going to acquire my first hamsters. The nearest breeder I found was in Tennessee, but she hasn't replied yet, so it'd be helpful if anyone knew of some hamster breeders near the south. Secondly, I'm not sure how hard it is to re-home hamsters. Robos and winter whites are rare around here, but I'm not sure how many people actually want them. Anyone that breeds any rodent (rat, hamster, mouse, etc), do you find it hard to find homes for the babies? How far would you personally be willing to drive to adopt a new pet? I'm hoping that I could actually become a well known breeder because I have a good idea of what I'm doing and I'm extremely interested in genetics and how traits are passed on and how you can breed two different colored animals together to get a completely new color. Another thing I'm worried about is my age. It'll be a while before I start (if I do), but i don't know if people would take me seriously if they know I'm only 16. Can someone give me opinions on young breeders? Would you be comfortable adopting a hamster from a sixteen year old breeder? Even if they seemed like they knew what they were doing and the hamster was healthy and tame?

Again, I really want to do this and I just want to make it clear I'm not just buying random animals and breeding them. I'd try to get at least two breeding pairs and start off with that. My mom has to make pedigrees a lot, so she can help with the aspect of keeping everything organized and making sure I'm breeding the right hamsters together. I'm doing this for temperament and personality and because I really love hamsters xD. I personally believe a problem in the hamster world is that people don't want dwarf hamsters because they were never handled as babies and they grow up mean and untame. If I bred hamsters with good personalites I believe people would enjoy them and take good care of them. I would really like thoughts, opinions, or advice on this. Thanks! :)

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
Re: thinking about breeding hamsters? thoughts opinions & advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »
I would breed the hamsters for temperament and personality, obviously.

Temperament and personality... the same thing? I think health would be important.

I've never owned winter white or robo hamsters, but I've owned Syrians and Campbells dwarves, so I imagine the care is similar to campbells (obviously I can research and learn more).

Breeding animals you have never even owned is not a good idea.

Now, i know one argument against breeding is, "there are shelters overflowing with animals! go to the nearest shelter and adopt there!!" The problem is, there are no hamsters whatsoever in any local shelters as far as I know. On petfinder, the nearest hamsters are in Ohio (I live in western Kentucky).

The same 5 hamsters have been sitting in my humane society for months and months now, I would adopt them, but I don't need any more pets. People rarely adopt hamsters... they buy them at pet stores. When a parent decides to get a child a hamster, or a person decides they want a hamster, 998 out of 1000 are heading to Petsmart, Petco, or their local pet store or chain. I made that statistic up, but besides the members of online communities like this one... how many people really consider a breeder or adoption when they are looking for a hamster for their 7 year old? Especially in the south. I live down here too and I know how little people think of "pocket pets". This would likely be the hardest area of the country to breed small animals which is probably why there are no good breeders (at least not within a few hundred miles of me.)

I already have all the supplies I could ever need, including cages (aquariums and dozens of wire cages), toys, bowls, etc. The only things I would have to buy after I begin breeding is bedding and food.

What about thousands of dollars in medical bills... water bottles/cages/bowls/tubes/toys/etc when they get chewed up... Or the fact that hamsters have to be separated at a young age, meaning if you can't find homes for them, you may end up with dozens of hamsters; each needing it's own cage/water bottle/toys/food/igloos/chews/etc

I think I will be able to dedicate a large portion of my time to the hamsters.

You are 15. What happens when you get busy with school work.... decide to get a 1st job.... get a boyfriend/girlfriend..... decide you want to do a sport or club at school... or simply get bored or frustrated looking over tons of hamsters?

After all, I only plan to have a litter or two at a time.

That is a lot.

I have a HUGE bedroom (bigger than most master bedrooms) and another room that is connected to my room that is roughly 3/4's the size of my room that can be my pet room (gotta love being an only child in a house that was built by Amish!)

Space isn't really the issue here, I don't think.

First of all, I'm not completely sure of how I'm going to acquire my first hamsters. The nearest breeder I found was in Tennessee, but she hasn't replied yet, so it'd be helpful if anyone knew of some hamster breeders near the south.

No good breeder is going to give a 15 year old breeding stock. No good breeder will just "give" anyone breeding stock... they will require you to have a mentor, know what you are doing, have the money to meet the financial obligations of breeding, etc.

Secondly, I'm not sure how hard it is to re-home hamsters. Robos and winter whites are rare around here, but I'm not sure how many people actually want them. Anyone that breeds any rodent (rat, hamster, mouse, etc), do you find it hard to find homes for the babies?

Good breeders have waiting lists. They don't advertise on craigs list, ebay, the newspaper, etc. They have done the research and know there is a market for the animal they are breeding... they know that there are dozens of potential local homes out there with responsible owners. They initially breed litters and keep them ALL to be able to track the health of the animal throughout it's life. They don't just grab 2 animals, throw 'em together and put some pictures on craig's list of whatever pops out. How will you even know what the personality or health of your hamsters would be if you have not experienced the life cycle of hamsters from that line? Honestly, I really don't know how *most* breeders get started as far as having a line to work with and keeping the offspring because I have never bred, but I imagine that this would be necessary if you are truly breeding for any reason other than to just breed. 

How far would you personally be willing to drive to adopt a new pet?

I would drive pretty dang far, I went from SC to PA to pick up a rat this summer (well, I was heading up north anyways, but it was still hours out of the way.) However, like I said before... most (and by most I mean close to 100%) of people who want a hamster are not willing to drive farther than the nearest pet shop.

I'm hoping that I could actually become a well known breeder because I have a good idea of what I'm doing and I'm extremely interested in genetics and how traits are passed on and how you can breed two different colored animals together to get a completely new color.

Yes, putting two animals together to get a new or interesting color is likely pretty interesting, however, these are little lives and while aspiring to be a well known and respected breeder is an awesome thing to strive for, I don't think it's something you should consider starting for at least a few more years and many many hundreds of hours of research.

Another thing I'm worried about is my age. It'll be a while before I start (if I do), but i don't know if people would take me seriously if they know I'm only 16.

I can tell you right now that they absolutely won't take you seriously at all. Not only that, but it is illegal for a minor to enter into a binding contract in most states so you won't even be able to have your adopters sign an adoption contract that will hold them to the level of care I expect a professional breeder would require of their potential homes for their pets.

Can someone give me opinions on young breeders? Would you be comfortable adopting a hamster from a sixteen year old breeder?

Absolutely not. Never. I don't adopt from breeders because there is nothing but back yard scum around here, but if I were to adopt from a breeder and travel the distance to do so it would be after a TON of research, recommendations, references, etc. And they would be an adult. Not to mention that breeders lose a LOT of money. If they are doing it correctly, breeding costs them thousands of dollars a year because the cost of caring for their breeding stock and the offspring FAR outweighs what little they get in fees when they adopt an animal out.

Even if they seemed like they knew what they were doing and the hamster was healthy and tame?

No.

Again, I really want to do this and I just want to make it clear I'm not just buying random animals and breeding them.

I am glad that you are seeking advice first, that is very responsible.

I'd try to get at least two breeding pairs and start off with that. My mom has to make pedigrees a lot, so she can help with the aspect of keeping everything organized and making sure I'm breeding the right hamsters together.

The fact that you may not breed the correct animals together without the help of your mother is really pretty horrifying.

I'm doing this for temperament and personality and because I really love hamsters xD. I personally believe a problem in the hamster world is that people don't want dwarf hamsters because they were never handled as babies and they grow up mean and untame. If I bred hamsters with good personalities I believe people would enjoy them and take good care of them. I would really like thoughts, opinions, or advice on this. Thanks!

I am pretty sure some breeds of hamsters can not really be "tame". They are fast little biters who are never going to cuddle with you like some other animals. This is just their nature. People don't take care of their pets because they have good personalities... they do it because they are good pet owners. I am sure thousands of very sweet animals with great personalities die everyday due to neglect from irresponsible pet owners.

I know some of this was kind of harsh, but sugar coating it isn't going to do anything. I think if hamsters are something that you love then you should start your research now. Once you are an adult with a decent paying job and the available funds to care for dozens of animals and the medical care than comes along with that, then you should start working with a good breeder who is willing to be a mentor to you. Once you have the experience and the knowledge and the finances, then go for it. This is not something you want to jump into. And trust me, I remember being 15 and people telling me I was to young to do something and man, it made me so mad. However, now that I am in my mid/late 20's I can see that they were absolutely right. Even the most mature 15 year old with unlimited money has no business bringing animals into this world. It sounds like you really care about hamsters so make sure you go about this the right way. Personally I have never bred anything because the responsibility is more than what I am willing to take on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:44:27 AM by Oleander »

& 17 Hermit Crabs + 3 Crazy Kitties: Jack, Sullivan, & Bennett  <3

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:57:28 AM »
Do you plan on going to college after high school?

How do you feel about taking care of 30 hamsters that have to be in separate cages for the rest of their lives?

How does your mom feel about you having 30 hamster cages for several years?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »
What about the aggressive hamsters you end up with? The sickly ones? Do you have the space to keep all those, plus babies if they don't get adopted? Hamsters don't do well in large groups. Even dwarves need to be in smaller groups. And some never take to groups at all.

Also, this is a good question...

What do you know about winter whites and robos? Genetically speaking? Temperamentally speaking? Common health problems? Rearing young? Cage requirements? Nutrition requirements?

Offline Purplezebra

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:55 AM »
Thanks for the answers. I don't mean to sound smart or anything, just clearing stuff up.

Temperament and personality... the same thing? I think health would be important.

Sorry I mean health too. All the good stuff..obviously I'm not going to breed half dead hamsters with bad health traits together.

I've never owned winter white or robo hamsters, but I've owned Syrians and Campbells dwarves, so I imagine the care is similar to campbells (obviously I can research and learn more).

Winter whites and Campbells are, from what I understand, the same thing. Winter whites are just unique from Campbells (which i've owned for years) because their coats moult and turn white.

Now, i know one argument against breeding is, "there are shelters overflowing with animals! go to the nearest shelter and adopt there!!" The problem is, there are no hamsters whatsoever in any local shelters as far as I know. On petfinder, the nearest hamsters are in Ohio (I live in western Kentucky).

The same 5 hamsters have been sitting in my humane society for months and months now, I would adopt them, but I don't need any more pets. People rarely adopt hamsters... they buy them at pet stores. When a parent decides to get a child a hamster, or a person decides they want a hamster, 998 out of 1000 are heading to Petsmart, Petco, or their local pet store or chain. I made that statistic up, but besides the members of online communities like this one... how many people really consider a breeder or adoption when they are looking for a hamster for their 7 year old? Especially in the south. I live down here too and I know how little people think of "pocket pets". This would likely be the hardest area of the country to breed small animals which is probably why there are no good breeders (at least not within a few hundred miles of me.)

Yeah thats what my concern was. But thats why I was so curious, how do people get them adopted? There ARE good well known breeders in the south with waiting lists. I just don't know how they do it, but I guess it could just be what area you're in.

You are 15. What happens when you get busy with school work.... decide to get a 1st job.... get a boyfriend/girlfriend..... decide you want to do a sport or club at school... or simply get bored or frustrated looking over tons of hamsters?

Yes yes I understand all that..again not trying to be smart or seem disrespectful but I am a straight-A student, active in jrotc and band, made first chair in an honors band clinic, have a boyfriend of about ten months (who thankfully actually likes and doesnt mind my pets, unlike most guys my age), and am playing varsity tennis this year. Most of these are year round things that I have been doing for the last year or so.

Okay well hearing some opinions on it made me think a little more, I guess it was just a little fantasy I had. Hopefully you don't think I'm too immature or irresponsible, now that I look back on it I guess it may have seemed that way. I really am a lot more mature than I may seem and I really do care for the welfare of all my animals and animals in general. Please don't think I'm just some stupid teenager :P

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 02:04:16 AM »
Active in ROTC, band, Tennis, and have a boyfriend. Sounds like you're a busy person already. I would definitely take a few years to think on it. Good breeders take years of studying genetics and learning about the animal, as well as mentoring under reputable breeders. You ahve plenty of time.

Offline Oleander

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Connor <3
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
Thanks for the answers. I don't mean to sound smart or anything, just clearing stuff up.

Sorry I mean health too. All the good stuff..obviously I'm not going to breed half dead hamsters with bad health traits together.

Winter whites and Campbells are, from what I understand, the same thing. Winter whites are just unique from Campbells (which i've owned for years) because their coats moult and turn white.

Yeah thats what my concern was. But thats why I was so curious, how do people get them adopted? There ARE good well known breeders in the south with waiting lists. I just don't know how they do it, but I guess it could just be what area you're in.

Yes yes I understand all that..again not trying to be smart or seem disrespectful but I am a straight-A student, active in jrotc and band, made first chair in an honors band clinic, have a boyfriend of about ten months (who thankfully actually likes and doesnt mind my pets, unlike most guys my age), and am playing varsity tennis this year. Most of these are year round things that I have been doing for the last year or so.

Okay well hearing some opinions on it made me think a little more, I guess it was just a little fantasy I had. Hopefully you don't think I'm too immature or irresponsible, now that I look back on it I guess it may have seemed that way. I really am a lot more mature than I may seem and I really do care for the welfare of all my animals and animals in general. Please don't think I'm just some stupid teenager :P

I don't think you are a stupid teenager at all! I think you are 15 and you should concentrate on enjoying those few years you have left before you have to deal with all the crap that comes along with being an adult. I wish I could be 15 again for a few weeks. Just have fun and don't get involved in something as overwhelming and time consuming as breeding. If its something you want to do in the future then you can revisit it in a few years, but seriously, enjoy being a teen while you can!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:08:56 AM by Oleander »

& 17 Hermit Crabs + 3 Crazy Kitties: Jack, Sullivan, & Bennett  <3

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »

Actually the opposite. You are mature because you are able to look at it subjectively and see how it might not be a good idea right now.
And most impressive...without getting bent out of shape. Some adults cant even manage that.  ;)

Its difficult to find homes for animals. Especially if you live in a rural area. I took in 4 strays with the intention of finding them homes. All 4 have been here over a year. I haven't found a suitable home for any of them. I now have a total of 8 cats.

Three have birth defects and would have to go to special homes without children. The girls have funnel chest where their sternum curves into their heart, their brother has a heart murmur and coughs regularly. So far no unusual medical bills but who knows what the future holds.

Offline pinkie1205

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jack says you don't need thumbs.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:09 AM »
Also a lot of people who decide to adopt hamsters do so on a whim for their kids.  I was in Petco a few years ago and the girl said there was a hamster who was there for OVER a year because no one wanted to adopt it.  That was the tamest hamster I have ever seen in my life because it was handled by the employees.
It's all just bricks in the wall

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 05:24:50 AM »
Purplezebra, let me begin by saying I am only one year older than you, and want to share my perspective.

At this age, you will be so fascinated in something one day, and the next want absolutely nothing to do with it. Remember when you were younger and you wanted to play a musical instrument? You begged and begged and begged your parents to, and said that you are sure you want to play it? So they went out, and got one for you. How long did you stick with it? If you weren't one to go through that stage, and went through something else, you catch my drift. You're still young and still are looking for what you truly are interested in, and what's just a phase.

Now I am not saying this is a phase, I'm saying it could be. You most definitely should not start breeding right now, and actually couldn't ethically. At your age I actually considered breeding rats but knew I couldn't until many years from then.. and guess what? A month later I frown upon that idea, and would never ever start breeding animals. There are just too. many. Without homes, so many are being killed everyday. Even if someone is breeding for health, I think the world needs to take a break from creating things we have too many spare of. It's cruel to bring a life into the world when it doesn't need to be here because then it just suffers.

What I think you should do right now, is focus on school and such with hamsters still being your interest. Take your spare time to learn about them and find credible resources. Perhaps get the ones you're interested in as pets but do not even consider breeding them. You can take this time to learn the things you'd need to know for breeding but have health your main focus if you decide to in years from now.

My obvious point, and suggestion is wait. You're stilling finding who you are so you are going to go through so many ideas, interests, etc. Less than a quarter of your interests right now will actually stick.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:10 AM »

I already have all the supplies I could ever need, including cages (aquariums and dozens of wire cages), toys, bowls, etc. The only things I would have to buy after I begin breeding is bedding and food.

What about thousands of dollars in medical bills... water bottles/cages/bowls/tubes/toys/etc when they get chewed up... Or the fact that hamsters have to be separated at a young age, meaning if you can't find homes for them, you may end up with dozens of hamsters; each needing it's own cage/water bottle/toys/food/igloos/chews/etc

After all, I only plan to have a litter or two at a time.

That is a lot.

I have a HUGE bedroom (bigger than most master bedrooms) and another room that is connected to my room that is roughly 3/4's the size of my room that can be my pet room (gotta love being an only child in a house that was built by Amish!)

Space isn't really the issue here, I don't think.

First of all, I'm not completely sure of how I'm going to acquire my first hamsters. The nearest breeder I found was in Tennessee, but she hasn't replied yet, so it'd be helpful if anyone knew of some hamster breeders near the south.

No good breeder is going to give a 15 year old breeding stock. No good breeder will just "give" anyone breeding stock... they will require you to have a mentor, know what you are doing, have the money to meet the financial obligations of breeding, etc.

Secondly, I'm not sure how hard it is to re-home hamsters. Robos and winter whites are rare around here, but I'm not sure how many people actually want them. Anyone that breeds any rodent (rat, hamster, mouse, etc), do you find it hard to find homes for the babies?

Good breeders have waiting lists. They don't advertise on craigs list, ebay, the newspaper, etc. They have done the research and know there is a market for the animal they are breeding... they know that there are dozens of potential local homes out there with responsible owners. They initially breed litters and keep them ALL to be able to track the health of the animal throughout it's life. They don't just grab 2 animals, throw 'em together and put some pictures on craig's list of whatever pops out. How will you even know what the personality or health of your hamsters would be if you have not experienced the life cycle of hamsters from that line? Honestly, I really don't know how *most* breeders get started as far as having a line to work with and keeping the offspring because I have never bred, but I imagine that this would be necessary if you are truly breeding for any reason other than to just breed. 

How far would you personally be willing to drive to adopt a new pet?

I would drive pretty dang far, I went from SC to PA to pick up a rat this summer (well, I was heading up north anyways, but it was still hours out of the way.) However, like I said before... most (and by most I mean close to 100%) of people who want a hamster are not willing to drive farther than the nearest pet shop.

I'm hoping that I could actually become a well known breeder because I have a good idea of what I'm doing and I'm extremely interested in genetics and how traits are passed on and how you can breed two different colored animals together to get a completely new color.

Yes, putting two animals together to get a new or interesting color is likely pretty interesting, however, these are little lives and while aspiring to be a well known and respected breeder is an awesome thing to strive for, I don't think it's something you should consider starting for at least a few more years and many many hundreds of hours of research.

Another thing I'm worried about is my age. It'll be a while before I start (if I do), but i don't know if people would take me seriously if they know I'm only 16.

I can tell you right now that they absolutely won't take you seriously at all. Not only that, but it is illegal for a minor to enter into a binding contract in most states so you won't even be able to have your adopters sign an adoption contract that will hold them to the level of care I expect a professional breeder would require of their potential homes for their pets.

Can someone give me opinions on young breeders? Would you be comfortable adopting a hamster from a sixteen year old breeder?

Absolutely not. Never. I don't adopt from breeders because there is nothing but back yard scum around here, but if I were to adopt from a breeder and travel the distance to do so it would be after a TON of research, recommendations, references, etc. And they would be an adult. Not to mention that breeders lose a LOT of money. If they are doing it correctly, breeding costs them thousands of dollars a year because the cost of caring for their breeding stock and the offspring FAR outweighs what little they get in fees when they adopt an animal out.

Even if they seemed like they knew what they were doing and the hamster was healthy and tame?

No.

Again, I really want to do this and I just want to make it clear I'm not just buying random animals and breeding them.

I am glad that you are seeking advice first, that is very responsible.

I'd try to get at least two breeding pairs and start off with that. My mom has to make pedigrees a lot, so she can help with the aspect of keeping everything organized and making sure I'm breeding the right hamsters together.

The fact that you may not breed the correct animals together without the help of your mother is really pretty horrifying.

I'm doing this for temperament and personality and because I really love hamsters xD. I personally believe a problem in the hamster world is that people don't want dwarf hamsters because they were never handled as babies and they grow up mean and untame. If I bred hamsters with good personalities I believe people would enjoy them and take good care of them. I would really like thoughts, opinions, or advice on this. Thanks!

I am pretty sure some breeds of hamsters can not really be "tame". They are fast little biters who are never going to cuddle with you like some other animals. This is just their nature. People don't take care of their pets because they have good personalities... they do it because they are good pet owners. I am sure thousands of very sweet animals with great personalities die everyday due to neglect from irresponsible pet owners.

I know some of this was kind of harsh, but sugar coating it isn't going to do anything. I think if hamsters are something that you love then you should start your research now. Once you are an adult with a decent paying job and the available funds to care for dozens of animals and the medical care than comes along with that, then you should start working with a good breeder who is willing to be a mentor to you. Once you have the experience and the knowledge and the finances, then go for it. This is not something you want to jump into. And trust me, I remember being 15 and people telling me I was to young to do something and man, it made me so mad. However, now that I am in my mid/late 20's I can see that they were absolutely right. Even the most mature 15 year old with unlimited money has no business bringing animals into this world. It sounds like you really care about hamsters so make sure you go about this the right way. Personally I have never bred anything because the responsibility is more than what I am willing to take on.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Offline Emma_and_Jean

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
I think the biggest issue with breeding at your age is that you are a minor.  That means you cannot enter into legally binding contracts, including adoption contracts. 

The second biggest issue is that if you are planning to go to college, you're going to have all of these pets that you have to leave behind as the vast majority of dorms do not allow pets, and many of those that do, do not allow rodents.  My dorms were all fish-only, nothing larger than a 20 gallon.

I would recommend finding a breeder to mentor you until you are on your own with a steady job and enough money to breed these hamsters.

I remember being 16, a very mature 16, but still 16.  But I was not the same person at 16 that I was at 18, at 20, or now at almost 24.  You really underestimate how much you develop and grow as a person in your late teens/early twenties.  Spend the next several years learning and you will be a better breeder for it.  :thumbsup2:

Offline Jesslynn

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
Please dont breed.

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
I recommend that teenagers don't even own pets until after college. If you have animals such are your sole responsibility (as opposed to family pets), many things are denied to you. Study abroad opportunities, internships that require moving frequently or living in pet-unfriendly places or frequent travel, jobs that are important for advancement but don't pay well, etc.

I adopted my first cat at 16 and had a menagerie by 18,and have missed out on easily two dozen golden opportunities that many people would greatly envy: trips to Japan and Korea, internships with the Army Corps of Engineers and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, leisure travel, and so on. Now I'm having to plan every place I live and work based on where I can rent a house large enough and private enough to have animals, and jobs that pay enough for vet bills.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »

I have a suggestion:  look into getting a well-bred hamster or two and showing them at pet shows. 

This could give you a window into what goes on in the hamster breeding world.  You can learn more about what makes a good hamster good, not just personality and outward signs of health, but bone structure, longevity, the various genetic diseases.  These are all important considerations for breeding animals.  If you do well showing your hamster, you might get to meet and talk to some reputable breeders who might be willing to help you later (after college and all).