Author Topic: The Dwarf's New Home  (Read 1345 times)

Offline RattyMonday

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rats and Life
The Dwarf's New Home
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:59:49 AM »
So... About a week and a half back we had quite the accident here at the Monday house.. I had one of my two chinese dwarf hamsters out, showing my uncle, when I heard the biggest crash ever... Upon entering my room, I realized I forgot to push the tank my hammies resided in back, and the dog had knocked it off. If a panic I began looking for the second hammy, who had been in the tank during this accident.

Luckily he was fine. But I was forced to house them both in a 5 gallon tank for a week :(. I hated the smallness of it, and wanted to be able to give them more to do... So, thank God for grandma's, because I got mine to buy my a new home for them.
I'm not sure if I like it.. And I kind of wish I would have just gotten another tank.. But it'll do. And they DO seem happier than they were in the 5 gallon.

Any suggestions on what I could do to make it look more fun? Or any suggestions on a better cage? Or better yet.. Do people here prefer wire cages or glass tanks for their hammies?

Offline Randomrat

• Posts Too Much!
    • Dashing Hamsters
Re: The Dwarf's New Home
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:13:12 AM »
Well hamsters need floorspace over height. So I highly recommend looking into a cage that has much more floorspace. Especially since you have a pair, where it isn't uncommon for one hamster to become territorial over one level of the cage and fights break out. Try watching ad websites like kijiji or craigslist for used tanks, you might find a great deal. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 20 gallon long aquarium (360 square inches of floorspace).

Perhaps check this out: Housing Multiple Hamsters

Oh and random fact, Chinese hamsters aren't dwarf hamsters. They belong under a whole different genus! ;)

In the meantime stuff for them to climb on, food to forage, and some bedding to dig in can give them a little something to do.

Offline RattyMonday

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rats and Life
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:15:27 AM »
Thank you so much for that site and info! I will definitely be looking into getting them a better home. I will say no fights have broken out since this new cage. But I definately want whats best for them. If I were to keep the cage I have them in now after getting them another new home, can anything live in it at all...?

Offline Randomrat

• Posts Too Much!
    • Dashing Hamsters
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Some people might say a mouse, but I personally believe they need more room as well. That would be up to you. ;)

Offline della luna

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
Looks like it could be a good hospital or quarantine cage for a mouse.
It's a full house!! 3 horses: Pixie, Tucker, and Bailey; 4 cats: Adam, Cassie, LuAnne, and Chester; 4 dogs: Friskie, Beau, Jemma, and Ruby; 3 rats: Pickle, Pepper, and Pretzel; 2 mice: Kirby and Lionel; 1 duck: Quackers; 1 hamster: Pancake