Author Topic: I finally got a ferret :)  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
I finally got a ferret :)
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Percival is a dark sable. He was born September 25th 2011. He will be soon getting a friend. The story on how I got him isn't at all how I had planned on getting ferrets, but he is here and I can't change that fact. My boyfriend was attempting to console me after Losing my rat Bea during her spay last week, and he went to Petco and got him. :( It's hard to be completely angry with him for doing this since I have told him several times how I feel about pet stores, but I know he did it out of love.
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
Re: I finally got a ferret :)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
I told my boyfriend he will now have too look into ferret rescues or craigslist to find Percival a friend. I was proud of him for buying everything Percival needed, although I plan on switching him to raw, the marshall food stinks and so does his poo. I have joined the holistic ferret forum so I can get all the info on raw feeding. My boyfriend also was correct on getting a dark sable boy, so that part he listened too. He said the pet store lady told him to use pine bedding, but he knew better.
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
He bought me seven fleece blankets to cut up into liners and hammocks. I haven't decided whether I will keep him in my single level CN or my large puppy kennel(cage bars are squared and 1/2 inch in space). So far Percival is doing great. Eats well and plays well. No biting as of yet. We've been at my moms and mom inlaws and I've taken Percival with us... I want to have the best chance of bonding with him. I also made myself a no sew carrying sachel to carry him around in.. he loves it :)

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
Congratulations on Percival; I have a ferret by default. Someone let her loose in my neighborhood and we found her running up to people and their dogs. Turns out she has ferret insulinoma disease so she is on medication twice a day, probably why her previous "family" let her go :(
So now she lives with us and is very funny.

Sounds like Percival has quite the life with you, post some photos when you get a chance.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
Congrats on your boy! Marshall's ferrets tend to be one of the more docile mill ferrets. They're generally pretty chill. Of course, there's always exceptions. I love that ferrets don't chew their bedding like rats, makes it easier to spend lots of money on them. :P

Offline della luna

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
Congrats on your new family member!  I hope you have lots of fun with him :)  I am very jealous as I would love to own ferrets one day.
It's a full house!! 3 horses: Pixie, Tucker, and Bailey; 4 cats: Adam, Cassie, LuAnne, and Chester; 4 dogs: Friskie, Beau, Jemma, and Ruby; 3 rats: Pickle, Pepper, and Pretzel; 2 mice: Kirby and Lionel; 1 duck: Quackers; 1 hamster: Pancake

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
This is Percival on new years eve.. the next photos are on the day I got him (december 23rd. I see a pretty big difference in his looks in just a short time. the next photos will be in next post to this thread. Posting first picture as a test to see if Im doing this correctly

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »
Here he is on the day I got him..

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:43:48 AM »
I just love his fur color. Percival has a very wonderful personality. He has already learned to fetch. He is still on Marshalls ferret food, with a small amount of raw. So far he loves chicken, especially the fat and skin. Im still nervous about giving him raw chicken bones. My last ferret died because of an obstruction in her intestines so now I am so paranoid about what Percival eats. I think maybe once I hear of others letting their ferrets eat the raw bones I will hopefully feel more assured. Since am a stay at home mom Percival will get alot of attention. I have been carrying him around in the no sew satchel I made for him. Since we have been on the go during the holidays I have taken him everywhere with me. I took an extra medium size dog kennel(plastic kind that he can not get out of) to my moms house, plus I have a cat carrier to use as a traveling cage. At home he has the single level CN for now. I still need to decided whether to keep using the CN or use my large puppy kennel. I like the kinnel because it has a pas similar to the bass pan where an the CN just has it's original flat pan. The kennel is 30''x40''x30'' in size. The entire top folds open and there is two large doors in the front. Im thinking about having my boyfriend remove the clamps that hold the floor so that I can just set the cage over the bottom pan, making it easier to lift and clean. Right now I would have to lift open the top door, remove the shelves, hammocks etc, to get the pan out. I used the kennel for the rats for a while and it was a pita to clean that way. More then likely I will get the CN add on unit so I have room  for when we get Percival a buddy.

Offline Dynamisa

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Percival looks like a real sweetheart ! Have you found a friend for him by now ? I really hope so, he would love it I think...
I have myself 3 ferrets, and I love them so much :heart: ! I've posted some pictures in another thread :).