Author Topic: Converting a 29 gallon aquarium into a mouse home?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
Converting a 29 gallon aquarium into a mouse home?
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
Hello. I've been thinking about this for a while. My betta of 3 years passed away recently :( so now I have an 29 gallon tank. Still some plants in there, though. I never used chemicals in my tank (always bottled water) so I think it'd be safe to use for mice. But is there any special cleaning I should do? Or can I not use it at all?

I was thinking of getting three female mice - would the 29 gallon be to small for them or just enough space? Dimensions: 24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H
Would I need to use a cover for such a tall tank? Could they jump out of a 16 inch tall tank? Anyone have decoration ideas for tanks?

Can I use normal dish soap to clean the tank? I use normal dish soap -unscented- to clean my DCNs for my rats without a problem. Is carefresh a good bedding for mice? They're social animals, right? Is a trio good enough for them in your experiences?

Most Important Questions: Should I buy from a good, reputable breeder? And can mice transmit diseases to my rats?
Thorn & Fat Foot
My love for all my other babies - I miss you all so dearly!

Offline peter01

Re: Converting a 29 gallon aquarium into a mouse home?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
When i first got my mice i kept them in a tank. I bought it from someone who kept fish in it before but was downsizing, i never asked if he used chemicals and my mice were fine, i just washed it out before i put them in. Female mice are very social animals and a trio sounds good. You would need a cover as mice like climbing decorations so they would obviously be quite high up. Just make a lid out of some wood and mesh. Mice like hidey huts, tubes, climbing things, wheel and mine LOVE digging tubs of soil. I don't see why CareFresh wouldn't be suitable, i use EcoPet bedding but i'm in the UK. When i had a small group i just used dish soap on everything but no i have a larger group i use disinfectent, but if i can't get that or run out i use soap. I would say get your mice from a good breeder or a rescue. I got all mine from a pet shop as you don't get many mice breeders or any in rescues where i am. My oldest 2 girls are 1.5yrs and still healthy, Although 2 of their sisters died at about 1 year. Also i don't know about passing on any diseases but i would guess not (Thats just my opinion. I have pet chipmunks and they have never passed anything to eachother). Hope this was of some help ;D
I have..

6 Mice
8 Chipmunks
2 Dogs
1 Cat.

RIP to all my animals in animal heaven xx

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
I do think mice can share the same diseases as rats.  Just as hamsters, guinea pigs, etc can bring those same diseases into the house.  You'll want to QT the mice, just like you would with bringing in new rats.

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
Thank you guys; the advice and information is very helpful! I'm setting up my cage now. I'll take lots of pictures when I'm done :)

I stumbled into a problem of the water bottle. Due to my tank's height, I had to buy a bungee cord from martin's to use. xD I also decided on the Small Triple Traveler (T-84) as a temp cage when I clean out my tank every weekend. I've done a lot of reading on mice. There's a mousery about 3 hours away but a shelter 1 3/4 hours away which has 1 neutered male mouse. I'm very tempted to go to the shelter and see if the mouse is as tame as the shelter says. I've read that it's best to adopt very young mice - 5 weeks old - to be able to tame them well. I don't mind an older mouse, I'm sure with some time they can become tame enough.

I've read mice can transmit Sendai (spelling?) to my rats so I will qt them first.
Thorn & Fat Foot

Offline peter01

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:50:23 PM »
Sounds great, The male mouse might already be tame when you get him. For the water bottle in my tank i took and old toilet role tube, put a hole in it, cellotaped to the side of the tank and slipped the bottle in. Obviously i made sure it was at the right height for my mice and it worked fine. Good luck with the mice :)

PS. I have no idea about passing on anything. Probably best to qt them anyways!
I have..

6 Mice
8 Chipmunks
2 Dogs
1 Cat.

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »

I was able to hang a water bottle luckily :) That's my tank! I want to add a few more things but I think it's okay. :) I'll be picking up my mice this Friday! Woot.
Thorn & Fat Foot

Offline peter01

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
Looks good, they like lots of stuff. Put a small tub with soil in it for them to dig in, mine go mad for it, they love digging ;D
I have..

6 Mice
8 Chipmunks
2 Dogs
1 Cat.

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:47 AM »
I remember when I was a very young and not very smart rat owner and was keeping my rats in a tank(a large one, but still a tank), I found a water bottle that stickied onto the side of the tank. Dunno if they still make them like that but it's worth keeping an eye out if you don't want one dangling. :)

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline furbabyfurniture

• Furbaby Furniture
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
What type of soil did you get for them to dig in? 

Offline peter01

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
I'm in the UK and i just use plain soil from a shop. It doesn't have anything (chemical wise) in it just good old plain soil. I use it as my mice's bedding now for their whole cages/tanks. They love digging in it and its nice and soft for them. Its cheap and easy for me to dispose of as i live around lots of fields and i'd say it keeps the smell down a lot more than other beddings i've used :)
I have..

6 Mice
8 Chipmunks
2 Dogs
1 Cat.

Offline blackdragon110583

• Gotta love my Ratties! and piggies! and Hammies!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
You can also use velcro with the sticky back to attach the water bottle.
Ratties: Jinx, Gus-Gus and Cookie
Piggies: Cupcake, Care Bear, cleo, snickers and rayne
Ferret: Spaz, Bruno, Bruce, Panda, Princess, Kilo and Baby
Dog: Winnie, my golden retrieved/basset rescue from TCAR.