Author Topic: 4Health?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
4Health?
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
What do you guys think about this as a middle of the line food? I've got my mutts switched over to TOTW, but we're a bit too tight on funds to get food that expensive for our, now, single cat. B.c. (Blind Cat) isn't very finicky at all and it will be exceedingly easy to switch over to another brand.

A few years ago I had an Ag Teacher that I greatly respect tell me that he loves Purina brand foods and insisted that they were the best, so I fed my cats Friskies without really looking at the ingredients. I've known for quite awhile now that the brand isn't very good, but we pretty much live pay check to pay check, so I had to wait for the right opportunity to ask about getting her better food.

B.c. is around 4 years old, I rescued her from beneath my house when she was only a few weeks old and she is my second cat; ever. I originally fed her 'Special Kitty', but I switched to Friskies when she was 6 months. She is a pretty active cat, but due to our constant rearranging of furniture she doesn't run often.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 4Health?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
It's definitely better quality that Friskies.

This site gives it a 4/10 as opposed to the 0/10 that Friskies gets. http://asksusanpeters.net/cat_food_rating.html

I've fed it before to the strays we get dumped off. It's not bad, and for about $1/lb, it's not all that much more expensive than Friskies.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
I've never come across that review site before, it's really neat and will definitely come in handy. Thank you.

If I can I'll try to get something a bit better, probably Roasted Venison and Smoked Salmon TOTW, but I don't believe we'll have enough money set aside for it.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
I think 4Health is better than what a lot of people feed. If you can add some raw scraps here and there too, it'd be even better. That's what I do with my parent's cats.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
How would I get my cat to eat raw bits? My dog scarfs down anything I hand her, but Blindy.... isn't as enthusiastic. Would I have to puree it first or should I just keep offering her bits here and there untill she accepts them? I think I read somewhere that raw and dry food shouldn't be mixed because the bacteria from the raw will spend too much time in the digestive system and has a higher chance of getting them sick.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
I have one boy who thinks raw meat is the best treat ever, and I've never had a bacterial issue with him.  His main diet is TOTW dry and right now we're on some of the grain free Friskies canned varieties.  They did CORE for the longest time, but then decided it wasn't worth eating.  I need to see if I can get TOTW canned now, too, but we're dealing with one cat with hyperthyroidism, so it's all been pretty much whatever he will eat. 

I said all that to say that a cat's gut transit time doesn't change dependent on the food, as far as I know.  So, raw as a treat isn't going to hurt her.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
There are a lot of things people say regarding raw and dry food. I will say that I have done a mix of kibble and raw (And know many people who do) for nearly 2.5 years now, and I've never had any issues with my dog, my mum's dog, or our two cats. Plus the foster kitten we had.

Cats can be super picky. Mine eat... ANYTHING. You could try cutting the raw very small and putting it into wet food. I've found that quickly pan seering it sometimes gets them more interested. Also, variety. I have one cat that will eat cornish hen wings and drumsticks with no issue. The other cat prefers little to no bones. They seem to like the ground venison and ground turkey a lot, too.

And don't give up! It's just try, try, try again. And be glad you have a doggie garbage disposal.  :yelcutelaugh:

Until you find something they both won't eat. Both the cats and dogs here are REALLY not fond of certain types of fish.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
She turned up her nose at the bits of raw I've been offering her for the past few days, she is not a fan of it. We went to Tractor Supply today and ended up getting a bag of TOTW, which she loves, so I guess it doesn't matter much that she doesn't like raw as long as she'll eat the TOTW.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
There has been a gigantic change in Blind Cat now that she's been on TOTW. She has gained weight, she is more active and alert, even her fur has grown thicker and feels much softer. I had no idea there'd be such a big difference in so little time. She has even gained muscle mass because of how active she has been, and she's no longer as whiny which is a bonus.

Offline abazoo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Sorry, this is late:
4health was really an improvement over "chicken soup for cats" for my new kitty taken in as a stray. She was having soft stools after a bag as a begining food so I mixed the last with indoor 4health, and already saw an improvement! I think the lower fat is better and higher fiber since she is just so limited being in an apt.
I was still woried about quailty tho so I'm trying a bag of Solid Gold (w/grains)..she pounced at that, just waiting to see the stool/coat changes, if any. 4health seems really cheap to be quality, but the ingredents do look good... I know my two kitty experince is that it takes a long time to build their systems back to the high protein of grain-free, so I've stuck to basic even tho my ferrets are on grain-free! My kitty Edy would purge eating their food tho  :-X