Author Topic: Replacing Critter Nation pans.  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Kitzira

• Lost and Prone to Wandering
    • CollectiveKitz
Replacing Critter Nation pans.
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »
Does as it says in the title.

The Critter Nation I use at the shelter for rats/ferrets/kittens needs new plastic pans.  It was donated to us (Thanks NTRR!), so it already went through some use before it even got to us.  The top pan is wavy & warped.  The bottom pan is cracked on the corner and about to be cracked down the middle!

So where's the best place/price to get new plastic pans?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: Replacing Critter Nation pans.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:42 AM »
ferret.com has them.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »
Instead of buying plastic pans that would break again, why not bass pans? I've never got them so I don't know where they can be bought, but they seem like a better idea.

Offline AshleyM

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »
The Bass pans can be bought here: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

I recently bought one for my CN. Really is a nice, sturdy addition that should last for a long time (with proper primer and paint).

Offline Kitzira

• Lost and Prone to Wandering
    • CollectiveKitz
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
Let me pick my jaw up off the ground.  The Plastic pans are more expensive than the metal bass pans?  I would of thought the opposite way around.

Do the metal bass pans scrape up the inside of the cage at all?  We clean the critter nation everyday, no matter what's in it. So the pan would get removed & replaced often.  Does it still make it to where you can use towel/fleece bedding easily on the bottom as well?  As I thought the bass pans were good for putting litter in and keeping it from spilling?  The rats are actually get adopted quicker being in towel/fleece bedding with a litter box instead of the typical multi-tier cage with bedding in the bottom.

Offline Miz

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
I would say they should scrape it up too much as long as your don't bash it around trying to get it in or out lol.

My Pretty Girlies ~

Sparrow, Panda, Bonnie and Cara.

Rest easy my past babies. :heart:

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
You also have to remember that you'd have to buy primer and paint to make them really useable. I would look up the cost for that as well and add it in. It is true however that the bass pans would last longer, which is good for a rescue. Plus, they look really nice in my opinion, though it's up to you.

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline Miz

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
Plus, you can still use a towel / fleece blanket or whatever in the bass pan. Could even clip it to the sides with bulldog clips if you want.

My Pretty Girlies ~

Sparrow, Panda, Bonnie and Cara.

Rest easy my past babies. :heart:

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
You could try giving midwest a call directly and telling them that the pans warped and cracked easy. They are known for shipping out new parts for free if they are damaged even if the cage has been owned a while. When one of my wheels snapped I called them and they sent me a new one for free.

The bass pans are made to hold litter. You could use liners that just rest in them, but idk if there is a way to secure them to the pans since they are 3in tall. And like others have said you have to paint and prime them because they come galvanized. Then wait an additional 2 weeks before you can use them.

Offline AshleyM

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
The primer and paint together cost me less than $20.

Edited to add that my pan came with a bent corner but we were able to easily "shape" it back (for lack of a better verb lol).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:13:09 AM by AshleyM »

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
I know you mentioned that you want to use liners, but a very cheap option for replacement pans (that requires not painting, but a little bit of work) and are highly replaceable would be to get cement mixing bins.

I got mine at Lowes, they were the largest size available (36"x??") and fit perfectly inside of a FN/CN.
They are approx. 14$, and all you need to do is use a saw or some seriously heavy duty shears to take off the top rim. The doors don't close otherwise. I also used some sand paper to file down the edges afterwards;

I would suggest still putting something down underneath them (cardboard, plexiglass, in my case the old pans) as the rats can and will occasionally get down and walk around the perimeter of the bin. It's not much space, adults seriously have to squeeze, but they still do it.  ::)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
Cool, Applecavy! BTW do I recognize the precious Robinette sisters?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
Cool, Applecavy! BTW do I recognize the precious Robinette sisters?

Yep! That picture was from several weeks before they went to their forever home.