Author Topic: Real world guinea pig life span  (Read 13506 times)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
Real world guinea pig life span
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »
When I look at various sources, the average lifespan is all over the place.  I've seen 3-5 years, 4-5 years, 5-8 years.  Those of you that have had cavy herds for a long time, what is your experience with the usual lifespan for a boar?  We adopted Javelina in June 2008 and the rescue thought he was about a year old then, so he's getting up into the listed ranges.  I just kinda want to know what to expect.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Real world guinea pig life span
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
When I was really little (kindergarten) my Mom got my sisters and I each a pig, which we kept in separate cages.  ::)
They didn't have Grade A care, but they still all lived to be 4-6.

The two I have now I got in '09. One was definitely born in like April, so she is coming up on her third birthday. The
other I adopted as an adult, and I was she was two or three, so I estimate her to be anywhere from 3-6 at this time
& she appears no older or slower or wornout than her younger cage mate.

Not sure if this helps, but it's my experiences.

Offline mazzola

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
I had a guinea pig live to be 6 or 7.
We only had him one year and his past owners..weren't all that great.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised if a very well taken care of guinea lived 8 years.

Offline Rascalcat23

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
My mom had a guinea pig back when she was around 12 or 13. She swears that he lived nearly ten years with them. He was an adult when she got him from a farmers market for 50 cents. He did die a very unhappy piggy though (blind and sick, my grandma didn't believe in taking animals to the vet). Don't get me wrong, they all loved him, he would sit with them on the couch all day and he was super friendly, my grandma just didn't believe that animals were worth vets.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
I have had 9 personal cavies (I was with a cavy rescue for a while).. I got my first pair when I was 9, they were my first non dog pet. CB and Sugar. CB was a male though we were told otherwise so I wound up with 2 babies (Bootsie, whom had deformed front feet) and Danny. We then adopted Arthur so CB would have a pal. They each lived about 6-7 years with good care. I would say A-, cages weren't quite what they now recommend but were still large (the girls shared a 6 foot long by 2 1/2 foot wide cage, the boys were in a 4x2 1/2 footer). Not nearly what they recommend now of course but 20+ years ago my guys had castles.

Honestly though, I don't think I've ever had a cavy live longer the 7.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Azusanga

• Master of babies
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »
My youngest guinea pig that died was 4. She died of malocclusion though, so it was an unintentional and not-exactly-natural death. My eldest was 9. I'd say the average age is 6-9, I ballpark it like this to factor in genetics, environment, and care by the owner. I always make sure to point out that guinea pigs have been known to make it all the way to 14 (I believe that's the current record).
Males:
Sparta, Spice, Titan

Spice is Titan's daddy.