Author Topic: Outside cat behaving weird.  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Tunnerrocks

• Ritten
Outside cat behaving weird.
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
My cat, who has been missing for almost a month (3-4 weeks), has miraculously reappeared, the odd thing is it's as if he doesn't remember me  :-\ :'(. When he came home I went up to him, as usual I go up to him and pick him up to bring him in, and all he did was back away I had to deviate to getting a bowl of food and shaking it to get him to eventually come to me, I felt this odd at the most, then it escalated. Now, a few hours later, he hides under my bed, as usual, but this time he won't let me get near him, he's being very skittish(not normal), and won't let me near his food (he will lightly growl when I try to pet him while he eats). This is extremely frustrating, and feels as if I lost my cat to the outside world  :-\.
(click to show/hide)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Outside cat behaving weird.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
How old is he? It's possible the trauma of being lost and now "trapped" inside is really stressing him out.
He probably just needs a while to calm and remember that this is a safe place.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
This is going to sound like an odd question, but I have a story to back up why I'm asking.  Are you absolutely positive it's your cat?

The reason I ask is this.  When I was younger, my family had a cat.  Our cats were indoor/outdoor cats.  We saw our cat get hit by a car, so we brought him into the house, and got him taken care of.  We were sure it was our cat.  Our other cat was acting strangely toward it, and we figured it was just from the injuries or whatever...  Then, a few days later, we look out the door, and there is OUR cat in the back yard.  The cat we had wasn't ours at all, though we'd have all sworn it was.  We figured out later that he belonged to one of the neighbors, and they'd been wondering why he hadn't come home.  It was just so bizarre that they had a cat that looked exactly like ours. 

That being said, both our cats were gray, and probably from the same mother.  If there are distinctive features about your cat (color/markings) then this wouldn't be a question.

{edit for an unforgivable grammar error}
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:00:52 PM by Marybelle »

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
This is going to sound like an odd question, but I have a story to back up why I'm asking.  Are you absolutely positive it's your cat?

Oh my gosh this made me laugh hard. Anything is possible.

I think it is odd a cat would forget after a month, several months is possible. Maybe someone took the cat in. I wonder if you vet would know if its possible.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:01:03 PM by Marybelle »

Offline Tunnerrocks

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:28 AM »
That is exactly what my dad asked :yelcutelaugh:. I, for sure, know it is my cat, he acts the same,meows at the door,has me walk him to the food,odd things he does,etc. he is just a bit skiddish. I don't get where, or why, he got being skiddish, but now it's been about twenty-four hours and hes starting to let me pet him more, seems like he's starting to retest me, little by little. Thank you all for your support and comments i appreciate it. ;D

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:30:53 AM »
All of my cats are distinctive, even the white one has a weird hump on the bridge of her nose. The one cat that is most identifiable (kinda fugly) also has a tatoo on his stomach compliments of the humane society so we can be double sure its him.  ::)

It sounds like he will come around. Cats arent like dogs. They seem to be out of site out of mind beings. Ive had cats be out of the house at the vets for a week and the other cats forgot he was a loved buddy. They always remember us though.