Author Topic: Male Mice Care Questions  (Read 6805 times)

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
Male Mice Care Questions
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
I've been receiving a lot of mixed info on male mice. Which is understandable. I understand male mice can be housed together if from the same litter but risk the chance of becoming territorial at around 4mo or even earlier. Some say only from a reputable breeder can male mice be housed + being from the same litter.

I understand that you should never separate male mice if you want them to be housed together. I know that having a large home for male mice with two nests would increase the chances of them getting along. 

So the funmouseforum says NO to housing males together past 5weeks. Most people I've met say NO. But a lot of other sites and other pet forums say it's possible.

On previously mentioned forum I've tested the cage calculator and a 2.5 gallon tank can be used to house 1 mouse. I happen to have a 2.5 gallon (6 by 12) and looking at it I can't see that happening so now I have a little garden going on in a tiny tank :P But on the cage calculator I used it said something along the lines of 'bare minimum spacing'. What's a good calculator/what cubic space is the right size for a mouse to be very happy in?

I use a 10 and 30 US gal tanks for my mice. I'm not one for handling them more than when I clean the cages and when I put them in my little maze (which, btw, is a pain to clean) 'cause I enjoy watching them and even though I know mice can be held and become sweet, I think they're more fun to watch and give treats too than to handle. They seem happy to me.

Oh, went off track there. My question about size is mostly: what is considered large enough spacing to house male mice together?

I also read male mice can be kept with infertile females. How do you know a female is infertile? A certain age? Rusting/greying?

My male mouse is fat so I switched his 10 gal home with the girls' 30 gal. I've read that a 10 gal can happily house a trio of females and from what I've observed, my females just like to cuddle with each other rather than play with all the stuff in their gigantic home. I hope having a larger home will make my male loose some weight.

I added one drop of vanilla extract to a 4oz bottle and the next morning the entire bottle was empty. Normal? It also did not help the smell in the least. Concerning smell: wire cages better or worse or the same?

My older female girl happens to have a hunch-back thing going on. Normal? The younger one and the male do not have hunched backs.
Thorn & Fat Foot
My love for all my other babies - I miss you all so dearly!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Male Mice Care Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
Honestly, housing male mice together is not worth it. If you are in the US, it's really not adviseable. I've seen people keep them together from birth and end up with dead mice as they age because they literally kill each other. Why take the chance when you can prevent it?

The smallest you can house a SINGLE male mouse in is 5 gallons. A 2.5 gallon tank is not large enough to house any rodent. My male is in a 10gallon. Yes, a 10 gallon can house a trio of female mice if they get along. I prefer to use a 20 gallon, because there's more room for them.

If you are getting from a REPUTABLE breeder who breeds show mice (Not fancy mice), you could inquire if their males tend to get along in groups. However, I never tried to house my show mice together unless they were female, either.

Unless you spay your mice, there is no way to know for sure that they are sterile.

Male mice should be handled and tamed since they are kept alone. Female mice are more hands off sometimes, as they tend to bond to their cagemates, whereas males tend to bond to their owner.

Don't add things to their water. Water should be fresh at all times and untainted. I'm not sure if there's anything that can get rid of odor completely aside from feeding a proper diet and using proper bedding, as well as keeping the cages clean. However, male mice DO have a musk to them unless they're nuetered.

There are few to none wire cages safe for fancy mice. I've housed show type mice in wire cages, but they are bigger in body than fancy mice. I have housed obese fancy mice in wire cages. The wires have to be 1/4" or smaller or they CAN escape. IMO, it's safer to house them in tanks, especially if you have other pets or the mice are untame.

Hunchback can happen in extremely elderly mice. But it can also be because of respiratory issues or malnutrition.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
I really don't suggest cages. Had a mouse in a mouse cage with tiny spacing and he was fine, 3 days later I walk in and he's on top. They're so good at escapes.
Also I will never condone male mice together ever again.  I went to the pet store to get rat food as we only have one store in my town that supplies it and I went to check out the animals. Anyway the second I looked into the mouse tank(of like 25)there was an older white mouse with a HUGE bite hole in his back. Like bigger in size than a quarter. It was visibly crusty and infected and bleeding. I went and told the employees and they were just gunna leave him in there.. So I bought him. I could NOT leave him.
I flushed his wound, polysporin'd it, kept his cage super clean etc. For about 3 weeks while he healed. He went from very obviously in pain with a hunched back to infection free and completely healed. It was about 3 weeks after healing that he passed away. But I'm happy to know I did what I could for Sweeny. He got very sweet after he was feeling better and I know for a fact I wouldn't put males together ever.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »
I've been told you can put the size of your cage/ tank into a rat cage calculator and the amount of mice that will fit in is roughly double the amount of rats that would fit.

Neutered male mice can live together, but I wouldn't risk unneutered males in the same cage as they may injure each other.  Or you could get a neutered male and put him in with your girls.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy