Author Topic: critternation wheels come off?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
critternation wheels come off?
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »
can the wheels/shelf come off and be stacked?
Zombie girl hammocks on facebook!
mommy to: Oswin Oswald, Rory Pond & Simon

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
Re: critternation wheels come off?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
Like this? [link]

Offline cheshire

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Like this? [link]

How did they do that? My CN has to have the wheels + stand to hold the base together... The sides are one big piece. Maybe I just have an older model or something.

Also, that is A LOT of happy rats.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:34:25 PM by cheshire »

Offline A Lioness

• Raaaawwr!
    • Lazy Pirat(e)s
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »
Like this? [link]

How did they do that? My CN has to have the wheels + stand to hold the base together... The sides are one big piece. Maybe I just have an older model or something.

That cage is AWESOME.  :D
My CN has to have the stand on it too... but the wheels do come off.

In the comments for that video she says it's a FN (you can see if you can tear your eyes away from the adorable ratbutts), so maybe they're put together differently..?

Here is the owner's comment:
I took the FN off their stand so I could use the side bars in place of where the side panels went on the FN. So instead of the side panels, I used the small bars in order to insert the screws. I don't know if this can be done with the new FNs because they are no longer set up with screws. I know a few people who removed the bars with a heavy duty wire cutter. Then you zip tie the whole thing together.

Caretaker of Jack Sparrow, Hachiko Not-a-Mouse, Ollivander, and Nicodemus (Wise King of Trees).
More photos, video, stories, and sharing at http://the-pirat-bay.tumblr.com/.

Offline A Lioness

• Raaaawwr!
    • Lazy Pirat(e)s
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Do you mean like taking two and making a double?
They make add-on units for the CN now.. I only have the single, so I'm not sure if you could stack two singles instead of a single and an add-on.

I apologize if that isn't what you meant.  n____n;

Caretaker of Jack Sparrow, Hachiko Not-a-Mouse, Ollivander, and Nicodemus (Wise King of Trees).

Offline cheshire

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
Do you mean like taking two and making a double?
They make add-on units for the CN now.. I only have the single, so I'm not sure if you could stack two singles instead of a single and an add-on.

I apologize if that isn't what you meant.  n____n;

I must have an older model then. I was told when I bought my CN from a lady on Craigslist that is was not capable of being turned into a double because of how it was made. It is not totally a sad say though I doubt I will never need anything bigger than a single :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline A Lioness

• Raaaawwr!
    • Lazy Pirat(e)s
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
Oh... I don't know, you might contact Midwest and see if they know anything about that.  I know they didn't have an add-on unit for the CN for a long time - you either bought a single or a double - but now they make one.

http://www.ferret.com/item/critter-nation-small-animal-cage-add-on-unit/650429/

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:28:33 PM »
Like this? [link]

That cage is AWESOME.  :D
My CN has to have the stand on it too... but the wheels do come off.

In the comments for that video she says it's a FN (you can see if you can tear your eyes away from the adorable ratbutts), so maybe they're put together differently..?

Here is the owner's comment:
I took the FN off their stand so I could use the side bars in place of where the side panels went on the FN. So instead of the side panels, I used the small bars in order to insert the screws. I don't know if this can be done with the new FNs because they are no longer set up with screws. I know a few people who removed the bars with a heavy duty wire cutter. Then you zip tie the whole thing together.
I believe the only difference between a CN and a FN is the bar direction and spacing. :)

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
i dont want to add on and share i want to be able just to stack the two. i should have bought a double a million years ago but i didnt now i want to stack them. i thought they could be taken apart so the wheels and shelf on the bottom come off.

Offline A Lioness

• Raaaawwr!
    • Lazy Pirat(e)s
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 12:15:25 AM »
Ah, I see.  The way that it's built, you have to have the bottom frame assembled because the doors, sides, and back attach to it.  There isn't really a way to build it just from the floor of the cage.

I wanted to use it without the bottom shelf and just sit it on a table, but I couldn't find a way to.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »

I believe the only difference between a CN and a FN is the bar direction and spacing. :)

I think this is the case now, with the "no tools assembly" FNs, but all FNs made prior to the release of the CN were put together with screws, so the assembly process was totally different.  I'm pretty sure I could assemble my old FN without the base and wheels.  I've thought about doing it because the thing is over 7 feet tall and I can't easily reach the top, but I haven't actually tried it because a triple without wheels would be too heavy for me to move at all.

Of course, this is irrelevant to the OP, just wanted to make it clear  :)

Offline Ryuu

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »

I think this is the case now, with the "no tools assembly" FNs, but all FNs made prior to the release of the CN were put together with screws, so the assembly process was totally different.  I'm pretty sure I could assemble my old FN without the base and wheels.  I've thought about doing it because the thing is over 7 feet tall and I can't easily reach the top, but I haven't actually tried it because a triple without wheels would be too heavy for me to move at all.

Of course, this is irrelevant to the OP, just wanted to make it clear  :)
Now that I look at it, the video is from 2008. My bad, I should've looked at the year. :doh:

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:59:56 PM »
Yep the cage in the video is an FN.

I have a 2 DCN's (not in use now because I switched to Martin's) but I took mine off the stand. However with the CN the way it fits together it doesn't sit flat on the floor. There are 4 "corner posts" and all I did was put it on furniture movers and I could push it easily around. Mine are newish one is almost 2 years old the other 4 years old.

i dont want to add on and share i want to be able just to stack the two. i should have bought a double a million years ago but i didnt now i want to stack them. i thought they could be taken apart so the wheels and shelf on the bottom come off.

So are you wanting to make a double? Like the DCN or a side by side? With any of the CN's the roof should come off that is where the "add-on" that midwest came out with comes in. You just remove the roof, and build up with the add-on and reattach the roof. Does your roof on your CN not come off? Or am I just totally confused? :P

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
i just want to stack. keep two seperate cages but stack.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »

You should be able to do that with the new add-on that midwest came out with.

Offline A Lioness

• Raaaawwr!
    • Lazy Pirat(e)s
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:33 PM »

Right, you can put up the ramp to close off the hole that connects the two.
Alternatively, I guess you could buy a second bottom tray (without the cutout that's in the add-on) and use it in the top part of the cage to block off the hole.  Or both.

Sort of off-topic, but does anybody know if you can stack a FN on top of a CN like an add-on?

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 11:02:45 PM »

Right, you can put up the ramp to close off the hole that connects the two.
Alternatively, I guess you could buy a second bottom tray (without the cutout that's in the add-on) and use it in the top part of the cage to block off the hole.  Or both.

Sort of off-topic, but does anybody know if you can stack a FN on top of a CN like an add-on?

I would say you might be able to with the new FN's that are the no tools assembly, but with the older ones it won't work unfortunately.

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »
im not buying a new cage when i have two already.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Yes, you should be able to remove a single from the base and stack it on top of another. Remove the roof, set the second cage on top (the pegs in the bottom of the second cage should line up with the door and back panel) then put the top back on the top unit. It would be just like using the add on, only you'll have a solid floor between the two instead of the cut out.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
im not buying a new cage when i have two already.

I didn't realize that you already had 2 cages.

Just do what CarrieD said :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
LOL, I didn't either, at first - had to go back and re-read. I thought she meant to set it on the ground or on a table.

Offline Rosepetalbed

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
that cage is awesome..... :shocked2:
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
LOL, I didn't either, at first - had to go back and re-read. I thought she meant to set it on the ground or on a table.

I had to go back and read too :doh:

Offline vorpalotter

• Ritten
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
So, I'm still a bit confused. Is the consensus that with the older CN model you cannot remove the base? And in the newer CN you can remove it? I'm planning to get the single soon, and I'd like to be able to take the base off and set it on a table and have the option of getting the add-on later on and reattaching the base. I'm assuming that this is possible with the newer version?

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Sure, it's possible. The cage fits together by means of pegs that fit into slots. There are 4 pegs on the bottom of the cage that fit into 4 slots on the base.

The cage can come off the base, but you'll have a peg in each corner on the bottom where the cage fits down into the base. The cage won't sit flat on a table, it will sit on those little pegs. They're about 2-3 inches long and pretty sturdy - I dont' see why they couldn't function as 4 little legs.

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »
 :thumbsup2: carrie i hope to try this week!

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
:thumbsup2: carrie i hope to try this week!

Cool- you should save a lot of floor space.  :)

Offline zombies_girl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
i sure hope so, id like to get my sewing table in the animal room but with 2 critter nations, 2 c&c cages, a huge bin cage for my tort and the book shelf i store things in there is NO room. :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
LOL, sounds like my office. Used to be my library, spare room for company, craft room, office. Now it's my critter room, office. Out with the futon and bookshelves, in with the Critter Nations. No one can get any sleep in here now. :D