Author Topic: Small or stunted?  (Read 738 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Small or stunted?
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »
Miss M and Miss O remain very small compared to other cats. They are ~6 months old and weigh 4.6 and 4 pounds respectively. They had a rough start in life and I'm just wondering is it possible they are just small framed cats or did that rough start leave them stunted?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Small or stunted?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »
It could be either, or both.  Our very first cat topped out at 5 lbs.   She, too, had a rough start in life, but she lived a long and healthy life in spite of her size.  In fact, she ruled the roost!  It was always funny to watch her walk up to the food dish when our Maine Coon mix (who topped out at a muscular 26 lbs) was eating.  He'd back away and let her eat because she made sure he knew she was boss when he was just a kitten.  ;)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: Small or stunted?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
I have 3 barn kittens from the same litter. One girl kitten now an adult is only 5lb and very petite. Little tiny tail and paws and she is very pretty. Her brother and sister are large and weigh 15lbs.

Their mother was very small maybe 6lbs. She survived having the kittens but the girls have flat chested and funnel chest syndrome likely from being cramped, nutrition and genetics. The big sister is siamese and flat chest can be a common defect in that particular albino mutation. The siamese also has slightly sunken and very crossed eyes to the point she has difficulty seeing. 

I really dont think the smaller kittens size had anything to do with a rough start. The other issues were probably a combination of nutrition and a small mother.