Author Topic: Constipated, vomiting, seemed in pain?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Constipated, vomiting, seemed in pain?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:17:47 PM »
I noticed that my 15 year old cat, Tiger, had poop sticking out of his anus and he was licking the area. I took him to the litter box and he tried but couldn't squeeze it out. He gave up and laid down, then vomited his dinner with the most agonizing meows (he usually lets out a deep meow but not like this).  He also vomited last night's dinner. Both were huuuuuge watery puddles about 30-60 minutes after eating dinner. All I could think to so was apply some fish oil to the area to lube things up. :confused: A tiny nugget ended up coming out and he laid down, very flushed ears/skin around eyes and he was breathing heavily. He wanted to eat afterward so I fed him a very bland canned food that contains pumpkin.

He has kidney disease and is due for sub-q fluids tonight which will hopefully perk him up. He is also due at the vet for bloodwork which I was planning for the first week in March, should we go sooner? Will his constipation clear up on its own once he can keep food down? He ate Primal frozen raw which he has loved and done well on before but it has been maybe a month since he had it last. I am usually able to bounce the cats between that, the honest kitchen and canned food without an issue. I'm going to stick to his favorite canned foods for the time being until things normalize and I can get him to gain a pound or so.

How can I help him if he remains constipated? Any ideas on the cause of his vomiting?

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Re: Constipated, vomiting, seemed in pain?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I'd move up the vet visit to first thing in the morning or even immediately to the E-vet.

Offline sierra

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
I'd move up the vet visit to first thing in the morning or even immediately to the E-vet.

Agreed.  First thing that comes to mind with constipation/vomiting is a blockage, which would constitute an emergency.  Even if it's something less serious, the kidney disease could be contributing to the vomiting, so having his bloodwork recheck ASAP is a good idea. 
Let us know how he does!

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »
Agh, these things never happen at a good time. I moved 6 months ago and stayed with my regular vet who is now 30 minutes away and I literally do not have a free spot in my calendar until Sunday, when the vet is closed.  I was thinking soonest possible = Tuesday... but I just need to skip class tomorrow morning and take him then. I'd really rather his normal vet sees him.

You have me worried with the blockage idea. He has never been one to eat weird things but you never know. I'd be more worried if he hadn't eaten anything in between the vomiting episodes, but he has had two small meals (late last night and this morning). Vomiting is common for him but this much is abnormal. He has been fine since I first posted. He jumped on the counter to steal some cheese from dinner :doh: and is currently napping with his toys like usual.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »
How's he doing today?  Did you get him to the vet?

I'd worry about a blockage, or just the fact that hes getting constipated enough that he can't move things through, which is a blockage in itself.  At the very least, they'll probably want to give him an enema...  Poor kitty...  We had to do that with our Isis once, and she was not pleased with us.  That's when we moved to more canned food to help her keep things moving through.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
The vet was packed at my only opportunity to get in and they advised me to keep a close eye on his behavior. It was been 4 days and he has been perfect. No more constipation/vomiting at all. He has a fabulous appetite too. Him and Kirby are due for check-ups and I will be mentioning it.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
I'm glad he's doing better.  :)

Offline danadu6

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
I know how you feel!  My 17 year old had a similar issuse before. You can give him some (1/2 tsp) olive oil daily  (I mix it into can food) this will help keep him regular and should prevent constipation issuse.