Author Topic: Night Magic Cattery  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Gamera2000

• Ritten
Night Magic Cattery
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
Hi all,

I was considering purchasing a Devon from the cattery I named above, but I was wondering if anyone on here had used them before , or had experiences (good or bad) that they might want to mention?

thanks

Gamera

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Night Magic Cattery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
Hey Gemmera, welcome!

The cat section of this forum is not very active (it's more of a small animal
forum, specifically rats) but there is at least one member here who owns
Devons, perhaps she will see this and chime in her opinion.  :)

From my uneducated point of view, and a perfunctory look around the website
(http://catsite.com/index.html)
they don't appear to be the best or worst breeder I've seen.

They do offer a health guarantee and all of the kittens are vetted, but I do not
see any lineages or information about the health of the parents, or information
about past litters.

Also, and this is just a big red flag to me but you may feel differently, they ship
their animals worldwide. Shipping overnight is stressful enough on an animal,
I can't imagine going through an extended trip...

Offline Gamera2000

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »
Hi Apple,
Thanks for replying and sharing your thoughts. I am also not a fan of worldwide shipping. The fact that they would be willing to drive to where I am really appealed to me as iit would be both less stressful or the kitten and less expensive for me.
I also like the fact tht they have a health guarantee but yeah I also noticed not much info about the parents.
Anyway, thanks for getting back to me, i appreciate it.

gamera

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
That is actually my cattery fyi.  ;)

The site was made as a 'preview' site because I kept hemming and hahhing over what I wanted. Fighting back and forth on prices with someone for what I wanted. Prices kept doubling yet my ideas kept getting more and more basic. So a friend made it as a preview to my mother and little did we know it never switched back to my mom's site. So it kinda is stuck there. It does it's job, but it's no where near complete.

Linage information is on hand and can be emailed if requested, again, being that the site is not complete, I don't have it on there.  But being that it's something needed to registered the kittens, it's something we have to have and can provide if wanted. All kittens are registered with CFA (who requires 8 generations on both sides) with option to register with TICA. My girls are because I like to show in TICA better, I'm a clerk for them so I'm bias I guess. But we for sure register everyone in CFA since it's harder going from TICA to CFA than it is going from CFA to TICA.

The worldwide bit, we have a Currier who takes the cats with them on the plane. They do not go in cargo for international flights, and very rarely go in cargo for flights within the US, as it's less stressful on them. Frankly I can't remember the last time we've shipped just normal cargo for a cat. It's a bit more pricey, but worth it. Anyone in the northeast we drive the kittens to their homes for the price of gas. Easier on all. In all honestly we've never sent pets minus a small handful over seas. It's mainly to breeders. With some of these rarer breeders, it's the necessary evil. It keeps the genes clean and healthy.

Not all of our cats are on the site which is another thing I want fixed. But depending on who you are interested in I can send pictures.

If you want to IM me or keep asking here, doesn't matter.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Cool beans Eternal! Like I said, it was my totally uneducated perfunctory glance around the site.
I've adopted all of my cats from shelters, so I know zilch about the cattery world.

What you've said about your shipping also definitely puts me more at ease. Live shipping in general always gets my hackles up (toooo many horror stories) so I'm glad to hear that you do it so carefully.  :)

I'm very sorry if I offended you!

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
No worries Applecavy! No offense taken.

The Currier service works wonderfully. The only problem is, and we are finding out the hard way that once you find someone you keep them to yourself! The guy we currently used often time will keep the cats at his place if he can't make it right away. Sometimes we'll drop the kittens off at him place in the city and he takes them out within the week. Or will hold onto them until we can get down there again. He knows what food we feed and runs out the week of to stock up in case the kittens need to stay longer. Sturdi Products sponsors him, which I am jealous  because he gets crazy deals on whatever he wants from them. But he also goes through so many of his carriers since he bleaches everything out every run to prevent anything from spreading from cattery to cattery. Only cats though. I kinda wish he'd cave for a puppy I want across country, but puppies are too much hassle for him. Too noisy to boot. My mother keeps bugging me to go work at the airlines so I can do the same thing, but when I fly I can't hear anything for the next day or so, not really practical. I'd be a hot mess.

Plus too you have the breeders who fly out themselves. A couple of years ago we had a couple fly out and spend a weekend with us. Really nice folks from France. Then fly out again when the kitten was ready to go. Sometimes it's just as cheap to buy a ticket for yourself as it is to ship cargo anyway. I actually have a kitten going to Florida as a breeder at the end of the month (I actually posted pictures of them on the board, they were my new year babies). I am more than willing to fly him myself, but sadly my work at that time is pure insanity, otherwise heck yes.

I know very little about Rat breeding too so no foul. A lot of people don't even realize there are breeds in cats. I remember mentioning to my old boss my cat had kittens. A few weeks later she goes "My husband said I can take one of your kittens from you" '... oh, oh um they are all sold' "Oh, how much were you selling them for? $20" 'ehh, not so much.'

Offline Gamera2000

• Ritten
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Hi Eternal,

I sent you a message earlier today but now Im not sure it went through. Basically I had asked some questions regarding the process for possibly purchasing a kitten from a recent litter. Please let me know if it went through..my computer work acts a little weird sometimes.

Thanks

G

Offline Gamera2000

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
Just got your message.

Sorry for bugging you with the previous post...and thanks so much for sending a wonderfully thorough response.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
Just so you know, you cannot respond to Personal Messages (PMs) until you have {edited to remove the exact number...  There's a reason we don't post it publicly.   :wink5: - Marybelle} posts here.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:06:05 PM by Marybelle »

Offline Gamera2000

• Ritten
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
Goosemoose N00b strikes again! lol

thanks for the tip.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
Haha, whoops! Sorry Marybelle.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
She emailed me rather than PM. Unless I don't know about the PM, I don't see anything in my box.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
Nope, she doesn't have enough posts to PM on the forum.  :)

Offline Jodypotash

• Ritten
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 01:40:07 AM »
Kelly, I stumbled upon this site purely by luck. I am picking up one of your fur babies "Hershey" tomorrow from your Mom in New York City. We live on Long Island. I am so excited. I was so happy to read these posts from you!  It is always a scary experience to go through this process having no physical contact. My heart is now completely at peace.  I would love to have pictures oh her mom and dad and baby pictures. Don't know if you can send them to me through this site or email them to me. Mom has my email. I will send you pictures of how Jade (Hershey) is doing. Thank you for bringing her into my life.