Author Topic: New kind of edible house - has anyone seen them?  (Read 8881 times)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
New kind of edible house - has anyone seen them?
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
I was at a pet store looking at rat toys (not one where I am from) & saw these new edible rat houses that are made out of wheat flour & salt & herbs & stuff.  They weren't the normal pine houses that you see.  They were big dome shapes, like an igloo style, but a little tall. 

When I saw them I thought they were neat & I like the idea better then the pine shaving stuff.  BUT I also thought, 'I can make that!'  But now I am kinda wanting to see them again & see the company that makes them & maybe get an ingredient list.

I really think I could make them.  I am pretty sure I could make them using a recipe I have for homemade dog treats that seems rat friendly.  But I'd just like to make sure.  So if anyone knows the hut things I'm talking about or has a link (cause I can't seem to find them on line), please let me know!

Thanks!

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
Re: New kind of edible house - has anyone seen them?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
Are you talking about the "herbs n hay" huts?  They're from Ware.  I have one for my mouse and he seems to really enjoy it.  That's all I can really tell you about them.

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
http://www.backyardstyle.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-42713

I was under the impression that they were mostly ground hay and rats can't have that.

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »

I've never heard anything about rats not being able to have hay. 

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Rats can't digest alfalfa, and I believe it's difficult for them to digest hay. From what I understand, most rats just won't eat it cause they know this, that's why when people feed those crappy seed mixes from the store, you find little pellets left behind; alfalfa pellets.

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Rat's can't digest alfalfa, true, but that doesn't mean they can't have it. I have never seen the one mentioned in this thread as I rarely go to the pet store, but mine enjoy chewing/eating the other edible log thing.

Since hay isn't on the forbidden foods list I don't see why they can't have it. And I've read a few people on here giving hay as a fun treat.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
Past edit time.

Rat's can't digest alfalfa very well. There was an article about it, but I don't know where it is.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
The other logs are made from pine shavings, so you definitely don't want to give those. These ones: http://www.eastland-pet.com/product/296-edible-small-animal-house-100--edible-no--806-102-479f/ I can't find the ingredients list, but it's something like pine shavings, alfalfa, and honey/molasses.

I don't think it's on the forbidden foods list, because it isn't going to kill them or anything. It's just not digestible to them, it's hard to break down and has little to no nutritional value for them. I opt not to give it because of that, and because the less I have to handle hay the better, since I'm allergic and already have to give it to my chinchillas.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
Those edible logs with pine are fine.

"Pine is harmful in the production of wood chips. Inhaling the phenols from the wood chips is harmful. The snak shak goes through such a high heating process there won't be any phenols left." Jorats posted this comment on Youtube to someone questioning about it, and I have a tendency to quite stalk everything she says. :)

Also,

"Corn and alfalfa is not bad for rats. They do have nutritional value. They do however contain cellulose which reduces somewhat but not entirely it’s digestibility. They provide energy, protein and fiber."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:09:38 PM by RattusNorvegicus »

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »
Between corn and alfalfa, I would prefer giving the alfalfa, myself. I dunno, I'm just very anti corn, but that's just my opinion. Good to know they can digest it, though.

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline Zel

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
Does anyone know if pine houses are safe? As in, the Super Pet Get-A-Way home? :/ Went to the store, was told it was safe by someone I know owns rats and seems to be competent, bought it, then just checked and found out it is made out of pine. I'm getting my rats Wednesday and would rather NOT poison them with their own home, heh. Does anyone know if it goes through the same heating process that'd make it safe for my boys?

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »
Not pine, not hay, not alfalfa...  I know rats can't have that stuff.  Like I said, they were wheat flour based with herbs (probably for flavoring).  I thought they had the same base ingredients as my homemade dog treats.

So...

I guess no one has seen them.  Today I will call the pet store in that city to ask who makes them & if they still have them.  Then I will check the ingredient list on line to make sure they are rat safe.  & regardless, I think I am going to give them a whirl.  I never thought about making an edible hidey hut.  But I bet I can!   ;D

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
How do you think you could make an edible hut? I've heard and tried paper mache-ing a balloon, but I'm assuming you'd need to bake the house as it sounds like some type of dough. Would you like, coat the outside of a small metal bowl with oil and then batter and put that in the oven?

If you have any success in making a house, please share~ It sounds like an excellent project to me.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »
How do you think you could make an edible hut? I've heard and tried paper mache-ing a balloon, but I'm assuming you'd need to bake the house as it sounds like some type of dough. Would you like, coat the outside of a small metal bowl with oil and then batter and put that in the oven?

If you have any success in making a house, please share~ It sounds like an excellent project to me.

+1 Sounds like it would be really fun to make it, and then see the rat's like it. :)

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »

I have made them paper mache huts lots of times before.  I find they love them but they are a lot of work for me.  haha  & so much stickiness.  I actually made them a bunch of mache houses about a year ago & just stored them in a trashbag & used them here & there.  I am taking some vacation time next week so maybe it's time to make a batch of those again.

& yes, your theory on how I would make the edible huts is very, very close.  I have some oven proof glass bowls that are a great shape/size.  I was going to spray them with non stick spray & then shape the dough over it.  I can leave a spot for a window.  If it cooks & is more like a dog bone consistency then a cookie consistency, I could even make it lattice like pie crust & so it had lots of holes for them to look through.  I am even searching for a tube shape that I could use, to see if I can make some edible tunnels.

I am looking through my dog bone recipes to get ideas but I don't see why they would be much different really.  If I give it a whirl I will definitely post a how to & maybe pictures of me trying it out.  Should be fun.  I am off Weds this week & I will probably give it a shot then.  :)  Plus I get paid on Weds so I can get lots of different kinds of ingredients to try.  Maybe banana or peanut butter for flavor.  Maybe some sort of chicken or beef bullion cubes for meaty flavor.  We shall see.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »
Hey Rattus the pine log and house things still very much smell like pine to me when I've given them a sniff at the pet stores so I really don't think all the phenols are cooked out of them at all. I don't know that just me, I suppose if you give it to them its not AS bad as say pine bedding but I don't know  :-\

AlwaysAmy I have not heard of this type of house you talk about but it sounds interesting. I would like to see how your verson turns out as well. Let us know how it goes  ;D

Offline Garavar

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »
AlwaysAmy, your idea is brilliant!

(mostly posting this so I can see said recipe mentioned above ^  ;D)

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
I am imagining some thing like a ginger bread house/ dome made with a dog biscut recipe.  That might be fun.  :cookie:

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
I would love to see a 'how to' with pictures and the like. And hear how the ratties liked it.. I may try it with my boys :)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Garavar

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I have a parrot who might enjoy this.... Are you going to post the recipe here or elsewhere?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
Did some checking and found this:

Pine and cedar are okay for rats only if they've been heat-treated long enough to bake out all the aromatics.  If you can still smell them, that's not good.

Corn (maize) is good for rats; it's one of the main ingredients in Harlan Teklad.  The problem with corn is that in many animal feeds, the corn used contains a mold that causes cancer in rats.  Corn that is fit for human consumption is also fine for rats--including the cob and the leaves, apparently.

Alfalfa and timothy will not harm rats, but rats cannot digest them, which makes them a waste of money in a rat food.  To my way of thinking, however, an edible shack is more in the nature of a fun toy than food.  I actually like the idea of not needing to worry if they swallow any of it, while also knowing that it's not going to mess with their diet.  Of course, rats can gnaw without swallowing, so if they don't swallow the hut as they chew on it, that would be fine, too.

I like the idea of the wheat paste hut.  I bought one of those hay huts and had to throw it out--it stirred up my allergies something fierce.  (Also smelled bad once it had been urinated on!)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
See those ediable tiki houses that I've seen and the logs that say snack shack on them, still smell of pine to me. Like really strongly of pine and I have a bad sense of smell due to battling with cronic sinus infections so I really would advise not to use them.

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
Number 3 is in the oven baking as I type.  So far I have used one recipe that I found that is for banana biscot-ti dog treats.  I did change the recipe up a bit.  Instead of peanuts I did pumpkin seeds in one & dried bananas in one.  Both baked in just fine.  I am also using codliver fish oil instead of just vegetable oil.  I give my rats fish body oils on their fresh veggies several times a week.  I thought why not try using it instead of the vegetable oil.  Smells a little fishy but works the same.  I figured the biscotti recipe would make crunchy, hard walls once it sets up, so we shall see. 

I am also trying a recipe that has shredded sweet potatoes & oatmeal in it.  & then there is a really simple one with just whole wheat flower, milk, salt, water & whatever.  That is a basic crunchy dog biscit thing.  I will do that one last.  Should be the easiest.  I found a couple of others with baby food & other things as ingredients.  I will probably keep trying them as the week goes on.  & I will post pictures as I finish them.

Mostly I just wanted to see if I could make something edible that they could use that would be cost effective.  I think if I was going to make these on a regular basis, the most simple recipe (as long as it comes out stiff enough) would be the best way to go.  But all of these are cheaper then paying $20+ a rat house for the edible ones that I saw at the pet store.  & plus, you know what is in them so no worried about soft woods or hay or anything.  Just people grade food products.  :)

The first one baked okay but the shape was crappy.  :)  & I didn't think to put tin foil over the upturned bowl so it didn't come off so good.  haha  Thusly it was torn to shredded bits & is in tupperwear to be used as treats.  No loss there.  Well... my time ... haha but obviously I have lots of that or I wouldn't be baking rat houses in the first place!  haha

The second one is cooling now & is pretty cute, if I do say so.  The shape is better, I remembered to line the bowl so it came off pretty easy.  It's a little burnt on the fun nubs I put on the top but it seems to be hardening nicely.

Number three is in the oven & is basically the same recipe as the first two.

After it comes out I will roll & shape number four, which is the one with the oats & the shredded sweet potato bits.  Then we will see if those ingredients make a good rat house or no. 

::)

Offline Ratilda

• Rittles and Bittles
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
omg omg pictures need pictures.  thank ye thank ye
Rats: Carl, Daryl, Walternate, Peter, Philip, Stan, Butters, Smudge
http://rittlesandbittles.blogspot.com/

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
Okay, so peanutbutter mix recipe is a no go, repeat a NO GO!  Abort! Abort!   :yelcutelaugh: 

Peanutbutter is just too oily to make strong walls.  Or at least when combined with oatmeal & shredded sweet potato.  But it does make some nice chunky for treats & the rats are gobbling them up.  What I call a failure they are calling a tasty success!   :P

So far the biscotti & the plain milk bone recipe seem to be the best bet.  :)  I will finish baking this last little house, check to make sure it is structurally sound & then snap some pictures & post the recipes for you.  :)

:wave2: