Author Topic: New kind of edible house - has anyone seen them?  (Read 8885 times)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
Re: New kind of edible house - has anyone seen them?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »
Can't wait AlwaysAmy! I don't know though.. I might eat the Biscotti before they have chance to.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
Okay, try not to judge my messy kitchen counter.  I did just spend most of the day baking houses after all!   :P

So these are what I came up with.  They are all wheat flour based with all rat safe ingredients (to my knowledge). I am still tweaking the baking time because after I took them off the bowl I put them back in for a bit to cook the inside layer.  That is why the first one is a little burnt on top.  But they got better as I cut back the overall time.

The smoother looking house (& the one shown in the oven) are made from the milk bone style dog biscuit recipe.  I had to double this recipe to get one house (& a little left over).  My guess is that if I made the double recipe 3 times I would get about 4 houses (depending on how good I got at cutting down the lids).

Milk Bone Biscuit Rat House Recipe
3/4 cup hot water         
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 beaten egg
1/3 cup margarine
1 pinch of salt
3 cups of wheat flour

In a large bowl pour hot water over the margarine.  Stir in the powdered milk, salt & egg.  Add flour 1/2 cup at a time.  Knead to form a stiff dough.  Roll out into 1/2 inch thickness. 

- Here is where the special instructions kinda come in.-

I cut the dough into two rectangles & one large circle.  You will need to eyeball or measure this depending on the bowl that you are going to use to bake our rat house on.  I used the opening of the bowl to make the top of the house because obviously it's a little bigger then the bottom & makes for some nice overlap so I can pinch the lid onto the walls.

Cover the bowl with aluminium foil. This is super important or your house won't lift off the bowl.

I took the rectangles & positioned them both on opposite sides of the bowl (making a front & back door opening, big but not too big), then I laid the circular lid on the house.  I pinched the walls & the roof of the house together, kinda like pinching the edges on a pie.  Some of the houses I decorated with dried bananas or pumpkin seeds or nubs of dough.

-Back to normal instructions, kinduv.-

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.  Then take the house out of the oven, flip it over & take the bowl & the aluminum foil out of the inside of the house.  Put the house back into the oven for 15 or so minutes to cook the inside of the house a bit.

The houses that look spotty are the biscotti recipe houses.  These may be a little bit tastier but are not nearly as cost effective if you are wanting to make several.  :) 

Banana Biscotti Rat House Recipe
5 cups of flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/8 cup of nuts (or whatever)
1 1/2 cup pureed bananas (or avacado)
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup of vegetable oil (or fish body oils)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients & then mix together til lumpy.  Add water by teaspoon as needed.  (I added about another 1/2 cup of water, I think.) 

Roll dough flat on a floured surface.

- Here is where the special instructions kinda come in.-

I cut the dough into two rectangles & one large circle.  You will need to eyeball or measure this depending on the bowl that you are going to use to bake our rat house on.  I used the opening of the bowl to make the top of the house because obviously it's a little bigger then the bottom & makes for some nice overlap so I can pinch the lid onto the walls.

Cover the bowl with aluminium foil. This is super important or your house won't lift off the bowl.

I took the rectangles & positioned them both on opposite sides of the bowl (making a front & back door opening, big but not too big), then I laid the circular lid on the house.  I pinched the walls & the roof of the house together, kinda like pinching the edges on a pie.  Some of the houses I decorated with dried bananas or pumpkin seeds or nubs of dough.

-Back to normal instructions, kinduv.-

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.  Then take the house out of the oven, flip it over & take the bowl & the aluminum foil out of the inside of the house.  Put the house back into the oven for 15 or so minutes to cook the inside of the house a bit.
[/color]

Anyhoo, I will probably give them another try once my ratties eat these up.  I thought they were fun & turned out pretty well for a first go around.  I will clean cages & add these to the set up in a couple of days.  In the mean time I am going to wrap them in foil & put them in a very large tupperware tub.  haha  I wouldn't want to make these all the time but I think they are a fun addition to the homemade stuff I already make my crew.  & they are far more cost effective then the stuff you get at the pet store. 

Plus, you can custom make them however you like.  For instance, instead of bananas I used avacado in one of the houses.  I didn't use any nuts in the biscotti recipe, I used dried bananas & pumpkin seeds instead.  But I think they would like raisins or some dried fruit of some sort.  I may even try to work a little dab of peanutbutter into them because they love that stuff but can't really safely have it in it's regular form.  I also added a bit of corn meal to the plain milk bone recipe.  I just felt like it was too plain.  & next time I use it I will add nuts or seeds or something to it as well, just to give it more texture.

I'd love to see what you all come up with if you give this a try.  It's really not hard at all.  I only ruined one house because I forgot the foil & couldn't get it off the bowl!  haha  Other then that, it was fun & easy & pretty cheap.  :)  Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:26:04 AM by AlwaysAmy »

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
You /really/ need to share the recipes.  I have a hankering to bake for my not even here rats XD

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
Ummm.... the recipes & the how to for both kinds of houses are there in the last post, between the pictures of the house.  One recipe is in blue, the other is in purple so they are easy to spot.

???

Hope that helps.

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »
I so didn't see the second page of this thread  :doh:

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
 :hyper: Those look wonderful, you did a really good job!

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:20 AM »
:hyper: Those look wonderful, you did a really good job!

Thanks.  I think they turned out pretty cute.  They look better here on the counter then in the pictures.  :)  I think for the time & money, they are a better plan (for me) then buying edible shack things.  & they weren't terribly hard & next time I will be able to get more bang for my buck & I have a couple other ideas for styles that might work.

Plus, I took all the scraps from each house & made up several pans of doggie treats.  So we are set around the house for awhile, everyone has homemade, healthy treats & it hardly cost me anything.  & I rolled some of the milk bone dough really thin, cut it into large-ish sized squares & then took a straw & poked a hole in them.  I am baking those now & will use those as part of the hanging chew toys I make my rats.  So even more treats for the rattlings.   :thumbsup2:

I think all the ingredients (some of which I have a ton of left, like the baking powder) cost me about $30.  I got 6 houses out of that (only 4 of which set up hard enough to use but next time, same amount of stuff I would be able to get 6 usable houses) & a ton of rat/dog treats.  $25+ was the cost of one of the houses that I saw at the pet store.  So I am feeling pretty good about the little project all in all.

I wouldn't want to do it every week.  But once every couple months as a bonus chew toy, house, homemade thing is doable.  I will probably make them from time to time, from now on. 

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Too cute and a good idea! I would much rather have my rats chewing on this than anything else.

I have a ridiculous amount of baking things here since we're ALWAYS baking. I have all the stuff for the milkbones... I might add some milled flax seed and some raisins and see how those go over! I'll post up pics when I do!

Offline Garavar

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
They turned out excellent!  :bow: I am horrible at cooking, so kudos to you for making awesome pet houses ^^

I am considering enlisting my aunt to make some of these (she loves to cook), for both my bird and future rats  :cheeky:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
Oh wow those are SOOO awesome Amy!!! :shocked2: What a great unique idea! Have you put them in your ratties cage yet? What do they think of them? Any pictures to share of them checking 'em out? :cheeky: :poke:

I really want to try making these myself when I have time. :thumbsup2:

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
Thoose turned out really swell. Have you thought about maybe making them to sell? Can the rats get on top of them without them breaking? I may have to pick up an oven proof bowl and try making one of them. Hmmm.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
They turned out beautiful.  You win the Top Chief for Rats prize!   :occasion15:  I have been trying to make little rat cookies for a while, but you take the cake! :rattysmiley:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:14:48 AM by binkyhoo »

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Thoose turned out really swell. Have you thought about maybe making them to sell? Can the rats get on top of them without them breaking? I may have to pick up an oven proof bowl and try making one of them. Hmmm.

I don't think I would want to make them to sell.  :)  They are easy to make & they wouldn't ship well.  Plus to sell food of any kind you need a food license. 

Yes, they are hard enough for the rats to stand on.  That's why I picked the recipes that I did, so the dough would be very hard & crunchy & stand up to the rats weight. 

I am cleaning cages this morning.  After I set them up I will take some pictures of the rats enjoying them.  Hopefully they don't just pee on them & look at me like I'm nuts!  hahaha

:thumbsup2:

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
This is such a cool idea! Those houses turned out amazing!

I really want to try this, but on of my rats is a fatty so they're on a diet right now. Maybe when he gets a little less pudgy...

Actually, these are just too cute. I'll have to make one and only let them have it during playtime.

Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
I just finished the girls cage for the day.  Here they are checking it out.  I have already caught several of the girls nibbling the walls & the nubs on top.  & Winkie is sleeping in it, which is a great compliment from my 3 year old lady rat.  :)  I'd say it's a big hit!

I'll post pictures of the boys in a bit.  :)

Offline Ratilda

• Rittles and Bittles
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:11 PM »
You are just AWESOME.  AWESOME AWESOME.. 

Now, my family has to pick a day for some baking.
Rats: Carl, Daryl, Walternate, Peter, Philip, Stan, Butters, Smudge
http://rittlesandbittles.blogspot.com/

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »
Really nice job on these, what a cool idea! I bet it smells like heaven in there to them. lol

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:12 PM »
I am going to attempt to make one. So excited.  ;D

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
I know this is a very late reply, but...... Was this what you had seen: http://debonaireexoticanimalsupplies.com/4-accessories/herb-igloo-small-500g

"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
No, the one I had seen was primarily made from flour.  They might have had a little bit of herbs for flavor but it looked like a bit dog biscuit, for the most part.  & it was just a "U" shaped tunnel, not a house shape at all.   ;D  I still haven't found a picture or website showing them.  I need to remember to call the pet store & ask about them.

But for the time being, I am happy with what I came up with & the price effectiveness of the project & will probably just continue to make my little rat houses every couple of months.

:thumbsup2:

Offline Kisami

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »
First I think you are a genius :) That was such a smart creative idea!

Secondly I am not quite up to making a house yet lol But I love the idea for making little like cookie treats for them. Would those recipes as is work for making the treats (idk if you changed them for the houses)? is the oven/cooking time the same as well? I am a horrid cook so this would be a big project for me lol. That seems like it would make a ton, I only have two rats lol. How long would they be good for and how should I store them?