Author Topic: Silent Spinner  (Read 17698 times)

Offline chasq123

• Ritten
Nervous Rats
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »
Hey everyone! I have three female rats, Sally, Toastie, and Panda. Sally I bought from a pet store back sometime in April, along with a cage mate who died suddenly of a stroke. I later adopted two rats to befriend Sally, Toastie and Panda. Panda and Sally became great friends and now are practically inseparable. Toastie is a bit more of a loner but he is very friendly still (note: I describe Toastie as a 'he' only because to me that fits in their little rattie household XD. Actually, I have all three female rats). Toastie and Panda are both about a year old, and Sally six months. I notice lots of more energy from Sally than from Toastie and Panda, Toastie in particular. Toastie moves very slowly and is skinny. They're amazing rats and always come up to the cage to greet me! They also are a bit mischeivious though, and have taken to reaching to my curtains and pulling them into their cage. Apparently it makes a great snack XD.

Which leads me to my question. During the night time, when they start rustling with activity, I close my bedroom door and open all the doors of their cage. However, its as if they don't even notice! I usually lift Toastie and Panda out of the cage but for some reason Sally is increadiable relucant to leave and grasps at the bars and clutches out for them while I try to gently lift her out. Once I get her out, she scampers back into her cage. I think this must be some sort of trust issue, because I know she is a very social rat. After she retreats back to the cage, she stares at me and walks on the edge of the cage exit as if gathering courage. Toastie and Panda continue to do normal rat type business outside of the cage, but after a while, Panda notice's Sally's absence and goes back inside. Toastie is unable to really go back into the cage on his own because I think his limbs are more stiff with age. The cage door is a little elevated and requires a little bit of acrobatics to reach, and Toastie has never been very limber. However, Sally and Panda just love climbing all over it XD. Recently however, I have been putting my hand in the cage and they come greet me and sniff me. They are social and I think like me but for some reason they are afraid to leave the cage.

Can I get some tips and solutions to having my rats out without yanking them out of their cage and leaving them fearful?

Offline D

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
Annoyed with vet...and Ivomec questions..please read and respond.
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Yesterday I just dropped 260.00 on Baytril, Doxy and a tiny bottle of Ivomec to treat my boys. I called in to ask if they could fill those prescriptions and ship out to me instead of hulling all four of my little guys in for an exam, which would have put me at 600.00 + the 260.00= 860.00. I was so surprised when the vet tech called me back with the price for the antibiotics and the ivomec. I was just shocked at the 260.00 price tag, but what was I supposed to do? To top it off, the vet I had been seeing for my boys the past year had left and went back to SC and didn't even let me know she was leaving!  I had to find out yesterday when I called about the meds. What a double slap in the face! I have spent enough money at that vet to buy 3 LCD 46" high-end flatscreen TV's.. :-\ you would think they would work something out in pricing for the meds. I have to say that I am VERY, VERY disappointed and will seriously concider finding a new exotics vet. I also had to fight for the oral ivomec, because my original vet only wanted to do injections, which I wasn't comfortable with. I went with Revolution after I suggested we take that route. They were just dosed their last doesage of Revolution 15 days ago, and still there is an issue. They had been receiving Revolution every 14 days for the past month and a half as directed by the vet. I took a break from it, noticed itching again and just dosed them once more after a month on the 15th of July.

Anyway...

I wanted to check the Ivomec dosages for my boys. It says 0.02 for my 700 gram Bug, and 0.01 for my other three boys who weigh between 500 and 600 grams. Does this sound about right? I also don't know how I am going to suck that tiny amount up. I was given about 30 (don't ask..I have no idea why they sent me 30) needless syringes, but the amount is so tiny, I have a feeling that most of the ivomec is going to get stuck in the mouth of the syringe. Also, how long should I wait to does with Ivomec since I dosed with Revolution 15 days ago? I am assuming on Aug 15 I should dose, but I am not sure. I asked the vet tech, but she never got back to me regarding this.

Offline jackie71

• blessed be
London ON area respectable breeder
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
looking for a respectable rat breeder in the London Ontario area ... someone we can get new babies from when the time comes...our boys are only 2 months old...but we would like to get intoduced to someone now for later?

Offline Squeaks

• Posts Too Much!
FN Wheels... replacement.
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
So, my inconsiderate landlady came into my place and moved the cage, in result a wheel broke off. She tried to hide it, but considering she didn't move the cage back all the way, when I came home I noticed this and tried to move and and the wheel came right off. It is cracked. I confronted her about this and said she'd pay me for a replacement. Midwest is closed right now, and I'd like to know if anyone has had to buy replacement wheels before for their ferret nation? How much where they, and what was shipping?

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Conning the boys into eating Oxbow
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
I finally found a little pet store that sells Oxbow. ...right before I move!
I bought a bag to see how it would go over.

Before I get into that ... I regularly fed Nutro lite with Suebee's and since they've become less and less thrilled about the Nutro I mixed in Solid Gold Holistique Blendz as well as Innova Senior. I thought the variety would please them. NOT.

I just received an order of HT2014 to see how that would go over and they love that! The day I got that in the mail was the same day I got the Oxbow.

I have SO MUCH food right now. I usually don't get so much at the same time. There is a lot of HT and Oxbow in my parent's freezer.  :cheeky:

My question... Since they're not eating the dog food should I still do a slow transition? Is it okay if they only pick the new food and don't ingest any of the old? I feel like they're going to do a 100% switch right away on their own just because they don't like their dog food anymore. I told my boyfriend Elliott put himself on a diet. ;) I don't want their little digestive tracts suffer from it (or make my nose suffer!). Any suggestions?

Right now I'm giving the Oxbow like it is a treat. The same way I dish out gerber puffs. Dooley eats everything and is thrilled about it, Elliott is warming up after seeing how Dooley acts.. and Scoot takes it from me and drops it right away...  :doh:

I guess it's fine to have HT and Oxbow in their daily diet? I don't see why not. Sorry if this is scattered sounding, my knee is in immense pain as I type and I'm tired!

Offline Malexis

Anyone have a tube of Revolution?
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »
My two girlies have mites im pretty sure since i see no fleas and i really need to get a tube of revolution. They have owies on their back and i think it hurts when i touch them as they dont really want me to pick them up. I only need one tube so im trying to see if anyone has an extra tube since i dont wanna go buy three. So do you? Two questions; How much do you want for the one tube? and I've never used revolution so im just wondering what kinda tube its in because i dont exactly want it to all go to waste, how long does it stay good for after being opened? Thanks!! You can post here or PM me, doesnt matter. If you post here i'll just PM you.

Oh and my mom will be paying through paypal if it is a reasonable price. Baby and Sophie will for sure appreciate this! :)
Ilovemyfurbabies; Sophie and Baby [ratties] Evie [bunny] Koby [doggy] :)

Offline zantosa53

Empty home in NY
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:42 AM »
looking for a few rat buddies in Lagrange NY (prefer female) I'm looking for a blue dumbo hood rat and a hairless. prefer both female. Wanting them to be young so that I can imprint on them early. I don't know what else to add here. I'm searching every where for these guys and havent found much that isn't months old  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline Malexis

Anyone have a tube of Revolution?
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
My two girlies have mites im pretty sure since i see no fleas and i really need to get a tube of revolution. They have owies on their back and i think it hurts when i touch them as they dont really want me to pick them up. I only need one tube so im trying to see if anyone has an extra tube since i dont wanna go buy three. So do you? Two questions; How much do you want for the one tube? and I've never used revolution so im just wondering what kinda tube its in because i dont exactly want it to all go to waste, how long does it stay good for after being opened? Thanks!! You can post here or PM me, doesnt matter. If you post here i'll just PM you.

Oh and my mom will be paying through paypal if it is a reasonable price. Baby and Sophie will for sure appreciate this! :)
Ilovemyfurbabies; Sophie and Baby [ratties] Evie [bunny] Koby [doggy] :)

Offline Heatherama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Empty
Do PTs run in families?
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:01 AM »
Sadly, I had to help a little girl of mine across the bridge yesterday due to a pituatary tumor.  I was up to the point of syringe feeding her meds and nutrical...but she was beyond help and all I could do for her was hold her little paw as she passed.   :'(  Anyway, I am still lucky enough to have her two sisters with me.  One of them has had a head tilt for most of her life, and this worries me.   :worry:  She was treated for a long time with antibiotics, but the tilt never went away. 

Do PTs run in the family?  Are the chances of her tilty sister, Chloe, having one too high?  And what about Jail Bot, her other sister that hadn't had any illnesses?  I'm worried about my ladies.  They're just barely a year old.   :-\
"...Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned... ~ Tyler"

Offline 3boys

Goodbye my 'Ol Duffers'
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
The Bridge has a wonderful new angel :angel5:. Goodbye Captain (Ol Duffers) my heart is heavy but I know you are in a better place with your two brothers. Play hard my dear wonderful boy :'( 06/??/06-07/23/09

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Grey spots on laptop screen?
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
So over the last 4-5 days I've noticed these little gray spots in the right hand corner of my laptop screen. About 2 days ago I noticed them forming on the left side. Tonight I see that they are starting to spot on the sides of my laptop. What the heck is this?  I have no cleaned my screen. I do not allow water near my laptop. What could be the cause of these marks?

To clarify, these marks are not on the screen itself but behind it. Or so it seems.
-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Gray marks on laptop screen?
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »
So over the last 4-5 days I've noticed these little gray spots in the right hand corner of my laptop screen. About 2 days ago I noticed them forming on the bottom left corner. Tonight I see that they are starting to spot up on the sides of my screen. What the heck is this?  I have not cleaned my screen. I do not allow water near my laptop. What could be the cause of these marks?

To clarify, these marks are not on the screen itself but behind it. Or so it seems.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline Markasin3

This used cage at cheap price.. should I get it?
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2009, 12:01:46 AM »

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=XQECGD6BGDKB8LS487VQF3HWJ4S1DQJF&pf_id=1864

Its being sold for $60 used in my area.  My concern is over the bar spacing.  Should I go ahead and get this for my future rats? or should I wait for an appropriate cage with smaller bar spacing?  I'm planning on getting on young rats.  What should I do???

Offline Markasin3

Huge cage used... Should I get it???
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2009, 12:04:25 AM »

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=XQECGD6BGDKB8LS487VQF3HWJ4S1DQJF&pf_id=1864

Its being sold for $60 used in my area.  My concern is over the bar spacing.  Should I go ahead and get this for my future rats? or should I wait for an appropriate cage with smaller bar spacing?  I'm planning on getting young rats.  What should I do???

Offline Markasin3

Huge caged used... should I get it?
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »

Its being sold for $60 used in my area.  My concern is over the bar spacing.  Should I go ahead and get this for my future rats? or should I wait for an appropriate cage with smaller bar spacing?  I'm planning on getting young rats.  What should I do???

Offline Markasin3

huge cage used.... should I get it?
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »

Its being sold for $60 used in my area.  My concern is over the bar spacing.  Should I go ahead and get this for my future rats? or should I wait for an appropriate cage with smaller bar spacing?  I'm planning on getting young rats.  What should I do???

Offline Markasin3

Huge cage used.... should I get it?
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=ATXA0STEWRW38KTB53S795F5K6PR85P3&pf_id=1864

Should I get this cage? Its being sold for $60 used here in my area.  I am concerned that the bar spacing is too much for rats to escape.  I am getting young rats.  Should I buy this now or wait and hope for a better cage to come around?

It's $60.

Offline Markasin3

Huge cage used.... should I get it?
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2009, 12:26:25 AM »

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=ATXA0STEWRW38KTB53S795F5K6PR85P3&pf_id=1864

Should I get this cage? Its being sold for $60 used here in my area.  I am concerned that the bar spacing is too much for rats to escape.  I am getting young rats.  Should I buy this now or wait and hope for a better cage to come around?

It's $60.

Offline Chunky

Im Gonna order my 695 tomorrow!!!
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »
 :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I cant wait!

I'll keep you updated  :BlueDumboSmile:

RIP Boo, Ben, Skittles, Noodles and Baby
Much Love

Offline Chunky

Im Gonna order my 695 tomorrow!!!
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »
 :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I cant wait!

I'll keep you updated  :BlueDumboSmile:

RIP Boo, Ben, Skittles, Noodles and Baby
Much Love

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
Switching from Suebee's to HT. Hoo-boy.
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
Any trick to this besides patience?  They're hiding the blocks and giving me the pitiful eye over their empty bowl  :help:

Would it be better to slowly reduce the Suebees in the bowl while upping the blocks, or just go cold turkey?  Has anyone not been able to get theirs to switch over - is it too late?
Currently smitten with Sandy, Dusty, Ringo, Pretty Boy, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
TIME TO VOTE for the 2010 Calendar COVER! Polls Close October 19th!
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
Time to vote for the COVER of the Calendar! Which image would you like to see gracing the cover of the 2010 Rats Rule Calendar?

One vote per member. Poll expires on Monday, October 19th. Results will be displayed when the poll has expired. :)

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7

Photo #8

Photo #9

Photo #10

Photo #11

Photo #12

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
MOVED: Savic, Marchioro, and Hagen in the US?
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline SnS Rattery

Cute Picture of my Ratties & Their Toys
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »

Despereaux appears to have a bit of road rage

Pops getting ready to go for a cruise

Pops got carpool duty and isn't too thrilled about it

S'mores telling Poseidon, "Dwarfs only! You're squishing me!"

Jacks and Despereaux heading off in their tug boat

One of Sabrina's babies caught pulling stuffing from Mr. Catapillar

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
Can someone tell me what cage this is??
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »
It looks like a SuperPet cage, but I'm not sure which one. I want to do some research on it before I go and take a look at it.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/for/1435182632.html