Author Topic: Silent Spinner  (Read 17636 times)

Offline aclightingdesigner

New Babies
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »
So I finally broke down and got a few new babies, I knew that I would not be without ratters for long.  But I have never had babies before, I have always rescued older rats from a shelter or rescue.  I have to say that I got these girls because I accidentally walked by them while buying cat food at *shudder* Petsmart.  One was a dumbo, how could I stop myself with those ears.

But to my real question, I am curious how old they are.  Does anyone have a picture of a 6 week old rat next to some sort of common object, like a soda can or a spoon that I can use to judge size.  I think they are 6-7 weeks old, but it is really just a guess.

Don't mind the laundry on the cage, my camera has trouble focusing with just cage bars in the background.

Offline RompRatt

• Proud rattie mommy of Yuki, Akito and Momiji=]
I'm So Pissed Off...
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
Okay, my boyfriend's mom got this kitten a while back and I've been BEGGING her to get it spayed forever!
Well, now its pregnant. I'm so mad. My boyfriend was like, "Hey! Vino's pregnant!" Like I'd be all happy with it! I yelled at him, telling him how irresponsible his parents are and how there are so many cats in shelters that need to be adopted as it is!! PLUS! she's still a kitten! She's not even a year old... I don't think they understand at all. They seem happy...

Ugh!!

Am I being too hard on them??
Should I be happy that there are new kittens coming into the world??
How can I get them to spay this cat before she has MORE babies!!!

Offline RompRatt

I'm So Pissed Off...
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 10:40:31 PM »
Okay, my boyfriend's mom got this kitten a while back and I've been BEGGING her to get it spayed forever!
Well, now its pregnant. I'm so mad. My boyfriend was like, "Hey! Vino's pregnant!" Like I'd be all happy with it! I yelled at him, telling him how irresponsible his parents are and how there are so many cats in shelters that need to be adopted as it is!! PLUS! she's still a kitten! She's not even a year old... I don't think they understand at all. They seem happy...

Ugh!!

Offline RompRatt

Ugh! New kittens...
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »

Ugh!!

Offline elektrikstar

The Good-Time Girls: My adopted ratties!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »
So...

Last week I adopted three WONDERFUL girls from HVRR.  Shelby (The Baby Girl), Leila(The Cagemaster; top of the established hierarchy), and Deula (former Elana, but renamed because of her odd eye; the adventurous one).  They are all family, Lei and D being sisters and Shell being one of their daughters.  When I met them, it was instantaneous love.  I felt they took to me well, as well as my boyfriend/fiancee.  So, we took them!  I didn't have the heart to break up the family.

So, while I'm still gathering pictures (the girls are a little leery of my camera; understandable!) of them and their CN, I figured I'd give you all an update.  I really do not know how I was so lucky to get these girls as they are absolutely gorgeous.  All three are very beautiful and unique.  As well as mannered!

All three were/are skittish, and I knew it upon adoption; in fact, I was eager to get to work right away with them to overcome their barriers.  I am happy to report by the fourth night I had them approaching me in the cage as well as coming out and climbing on my arms!  They continue to make wonderful leaps and bounds with me and Tim (their daddy, my aforementioned significant other), though I must admit, they seem to take to me a little more.  Probably because I've got previous rat experience, and I'm comfortable picking them up with firmness (Tim is still learning and while he does it correctly, they pick up on his nervousness and in turn become nervous themselves understandably) as well as provide them with plenty of clothing crawlspace. 

So far, the overall funniest thing I must admit to enjoying is watching them get into little spats over who gets to run on the wheel next.  Our little Shelby goes so fast that she's literally gone full circle in it!  The other girls use it moderately, but they have no problem telling Shell how to share!  I think what's helped the most throughout the entire transition is that I was quick to assess their various personalities and identify who was at the top of their hierarchy.  At first I was almost certain it would be D because she is so curious, adventurous, and assertive; but to my surprise it is actually Leila, while far more serene and laid back, that takes the top chair.  Though she admittedly only uses her powers of rank for evil (and by evil I mean stealing nom-noms.  We learned quickly she must receive hers first or she shall feel slighted and immediately confinscate whoever does have one!).  So while everyone will get treats at the same time to not show favoritism, I work hard to show them that I acknowledge their rankings.

Overall Shelby is a free-spirit.  She keeps her own schedule, does what she wants when she wants, and takes after who we assume is her mother, D's, love of exploring her surroundings.  Though it is clear she is the youngest as D and Leila both will take to being very protective of her when they feel the need.  Shell acts just like any normal kid; annoyed with her cleanings, full of life, and always playing.  She's a very beautiful girl, and it turns out, while she fits, her favorite spot is Daddy and Mommy's shirt pockets!

D- she's definitely an adventurer.  At first she was shy, but once she seen that Shelby was reacting fine, she got the curiosity bug in her and immediately wanted to explore EVERYTHING.  She was the first to try out ALL the hammies in the cage, as well as give me a good sniffing over and hair muss.  She's definitely my chewer, and we've been working on that, but she is also arguably the smartest; as it took her literally a day to become littertrained!  Her eyes had me at first look, and she's quickly becoming my special squishy.  Is not so good about being picked up yet, but is very open to petting.

Leila - Definitely the matronly cagemaster.  She likes to just take her time doing things, and trust me, you work on her time schedule.  She's a total sweetheart, and I personally think she's got the prettiest tail markings.  Distinct from her companions for having brown/white fur (as opposed to the other two's fairer beige complexions) she doesn't lack in the love department.  She is more prone to being alright with a pick up and her favorite position is perched on her Daddy's head or in my hoodie cap.  She's also content with scurrying up and down arms.  Not much of a wanderer like the other two, she's content to staying put for the most part.

When I've got a sufficient horde of pictures I will create a photobucket folder and attach some teaser pics and a link.

Offline jodieluvsrats

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am a slave to my rats!
I need some CN liners made...I have fabric
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »
Hey all of you sleepy goodness makers....I have some adorable pink monkey fabric that I would like to have made into liners and shelf liners for my CN? Can someone pm me pricing for 2 shelf liners and 2 pan liners? Thanks :)
Jodieluvsrats - lovingly owned by Flora, Fauna, Tish (ratty girls) , Anton, Szandor, Remy, Little Chef, Samurai(rattie boys)  Gomez (cat) & Frog (husband)
At the bridge:Hymie, Bella, Laveyna, Guinness, Stout, Shotzie, Shenanigans, Big Will, Mitch ..Mommie luvs U

Offline meggs23

New Girls!
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 11:31:05 PM »
So I was on craigslist, and saw a posting of someone selling some baby ratties. I click on it, and see the cutest dumbo eared nekkid! I got excited, called the lady & asked if her nekkid was a female - both of the completely nekkid ones were  :-\. She told me that she had little girls that have fur right now, but are loosing it & are most likely going to be slightly nekkid. So I go to check them out. They were in a clean cage, Mommy was beautiful and healthy. Daddy was this big nekkid guy who seemed to love to snuggle. I was going to just adopt one, but she also had some rex babies. SOOO I walked away with 2. *sigh* Now I get to get a CN!!  :wav:

So now for the intros:

This is Carmen. Love her coloring. She does have a white belly which makes her a birkshire (sp?), right? She is a dumbo rex.

This is Daisy Duke. Her hoody is gray-blue. She is a dumbo, and starting to loose her fur around the shoulders, back, and neck. So I don't think she is going to be all nekkid, but close to it.

So they are in quarantine right now. How long should I keep them there?

Offline meggs23

New Girls!!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
So I was on craigslist, and saw a posting of someone selling some baby ratties. I click on it, and see the cutest dumbo eared nekkid! I got excited, called the lady & asked if her nekkid was a female - both of the completely nekkid ones were males  :-\. She told me that she had little girls that have fur right now, but are loosing it & are most likely going to be slightly nekkid. So I go to check them out. They were in a clean cage, Mommy was beautiful and healthy. Daddy was this big nekkid guy who seemed to love to snuggle. I was going to just adopt one, but she also had some rex babies. SOOO I walked away with 2. *sigh* Now I get to get a CN!!  :wav:

So now for the intros:

This is Carmen. Love her coloring. She does have a white belly which makes her a birkshire (sp?), right? She is a dumbo rex.

This is Daisy Duke. Her hoody is gray-blue. She is a dumbo, and starting to loose her fur around the shoulders, back, and neck. So I don't think she is going to be all nekkid, but close to it.

So they are in quarantine right now. How long should I keep them there?

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life ends when we become silent about what matters
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
Adorable Care Bears Set- My First Sale!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Hello All! :wave2: Most of you know me from around the boards, but I have never attempted to sell anything before. I am pretty new to sewing, but I have really been wanting to try and sell something I've made! So I have worked many hours on this, (I'm a slowpoke,) and did the absolute best job I could do, to make this adorable Care Bears set. I want to be as honest as I can be, though, for anyone interested, so I want to let you know that being fairly new to sewing, there are a couple of mild noticeable mistakes, some stitches show, not everything is perfectly symmetrical, and well, basically this set is not perfect like many of the other members items that have been selling here for a long time. This set is cotton w/ fleece insides, and it will be coming to the buyer pre-washed. I was thinking of a ballpark figure for selling this set, and with me being new to selling, and with them not looking as perfect as I would like, I was thinking, maybe $45 plus approx. $5 for shipping....? Is that reasonable? And not being able to afford to donate regularly to the site, I want to donate $5 from whatever I make to GooseMoose, to help support the site. I would prefer we use PayPal to pay, but I will take a money order instead if you do not use PayPal. And without further adeu, here is my set:

Whole Set Together:

And here they are closer up and individually.

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Hammock: (The orange is the inside of the top hammock.)

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

I hope someone will be okay with me being new and my designs not yet being perfected, and will still be interested in buying my set. If you are interested, please PM me! Thanks so much. :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
Hello All! :wave2: Most of you know me from around the boards, but I have never attempted to sell anything before. I am pretty new to sewing, but I have really been wanting to try and sell something I've made! So I have worked many hours on this, (I'm a slowpoke,) and did the absolute best job I could do, to make this adorable Care Bears set. I want to be as honest as I can be, though, for anyone interested, so I want to let you know that being fairly new to sewing, there are a couple of mild noticeable mistakes, some stitches show, not everything is perfectly symmetrical, and well, basically this set is not perfect like many of the other members items that have been selling here for a long time. This set is cotton w/ fleece insides, and it will be coming to the buyer pre-washed. I was thinking of a ballpark figure for selling this set, and with me being new to selling, and with them not looking as perfect as I would like, I was thinking, maybe $45 plus approx. $5 for shipping....? Is that reasonable? And not being able to afford to donate regularly to the site, I want to donate $5 from whatever I make to GooseMoose, to help support the site. I would prefer we use PayPal to pay, but I will take a money order instead if you do not use PayPal. And without further adeu, here is my set:

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

I hope someone will be okay with me being new and my designs not yet being perfected, and will still be interested in buying my set. If you are interested, please PM me! Thanks so much. :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
Adorable Care Bears Set- My First Sale
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

I hope someone will be okay with me being new and my designs not yet being perfected, and will still be interested in buying my set! If you are interested, please PM me! Thanks so much. :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

I hope someone will be okay with me being new and my designs not yet being perfected, and will still be interested in buying my set! If you are interested, please PM me! Thanks so much. :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
Hello All! :wave2: Most of you know me from around the boards, but I have never attempted to sell anything before. I am pretty new to sewing, but I have really been wanting to try and sell something I've made! So I have worked many hours on this, (I'm a slowpoke,) and did the absolute best job I could do, to make this adorable Care Bears set. I want to be as honest as I can be, though, for anyone interested, so I want to let you know that being fairly new to sewing, there are a couple of mild noticeable mistakes, some stitches show, not everything is perfectly symmetrical, and well, basically this set is not perfect like many of the other members items that have been selling here for a long time. But it is still absolutely adorable!! At least I think so. This set is cotton w/ fleece insides, and it will be coming to the buyer pre-washed. I was thinking of a ballpark figure for selling this set, and with me being new to selling, and with them not looking as perfect as I would like, I was thinking, maybe $45 plus approx. $5 for shipping....? Is that reasonable? And not being able to afford to donate regularly to the site, I want to donate $5 from whatever I make to GooseMoose, to help support the site. I would prefer we use PayPal to pay, but I will take a money order instead if you do not use PayPal. And without further adeu, here is my set:

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:44 PM »
Hello All! :wave2: Most of you know me from around the boards, but I have never attempted to sell anything before. I am pretty new to sewing, but I have really been wanting to try and sell something I've made! So I have worked many hours on this, (I'm a slowpoke,) and did the absolute best job I could do, to make this adorable Care Bears set. I want to be as honest as I can be, though, for anyone interested, so I want to let you know that being fairly new to sewing, there are a couple of mild noticeable mistakes, some stitches show, not everything is perfectly symmetrical, and well, basically this set is not perfect like many of the other members items that have been selling here for a long time. But it is still absolutely adorable!! At least I think so. This set is cotton w/ fleece insides, and it will be coming to the buyer pre-washed. I was thinking of a ballpark figure for selling this set, and with me being new to selling, and with them not looking as perfect as I would like, I was thinking, maybe $45 plus approx. $5 for shipping....? Is that reasonable? And not being able to afford to donate regularly to the site, I want to donate $5 from whatever I make to GooseMoose, to help support the site. I would prefer we use PayPal to pay, but I will take a money order instead if you do not use PayPal. And without further adeu, here is my set:

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline LOTR_Ratties

• Posts Too Much!
    • Zoe's Hammie Haven
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »

Whole Set Together:

Corner Hammock:

Corner Cube:

Double Decker Hammock:

Oblong Round Cube:

Standard Hammock:

Tunnel:

Offline crzycoookies

What do you (specifically) feed your rats?
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »
I know most people's answers are going to be "fresh fruits and veggies and a grain mix/staple" but I was kind of wondering more specifically, down to the "how oftens" and what's necessary to you..
In example, with people who use Suebee's mix, I have heard that a lot of people use a variation of it. What do you put in or leave out that is different? Is your grain mix constantly available? What vegetables do you usually feed your rats? I would love it if I could get some "recipes" for both veggie mixes and grain mixes, even if it usually varies or if it is very similar but not exactly the same as Suebee's.. Just give the most recent ingredients in your mix.
Wanna meet my zoo?
Anna, Belle, Riley, and Minxie - The girly rats
Dante and Piggy - The manly rats
Jack, Zora, and Midget - The dogs
Shadow - The cat
Mrs. & Mr. Copper - The gopher snakes
Sheba, Lilly, and Thorn - The african clawed frogs

--Cynthia

Offline tysetsu

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ty's Rat Shack
Help with links/url?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
I know I saw a thread like this somewhere, but I can't find it again. I wanted to know how to link to a website, but the link be a word instead of the actual website address. If anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful  :)
Custom hammocks <3 Add Ty's Rat Shack on facebook!

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
would anyone here be interested in catnip toys??
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
i know this is a rat forum but some of us have cats, too

for over 5 yrs now i've been making catnip toys and cat related items, but the toys i make are so potent and last so long, that i've gone and put myself out of business, no one needs to buy more!!

if there's any interest i'll make some up- i do several kinds, nipstix (tubular toys), body/kick pillows and these smaller toys i call nipkins and puffies

i also do up large discounted pkgs that can be shipped to the rescue of your choice, as a gift/donation for those kitties stuck in cages, waiting for their furrever homes

let me know, i only make them up fresh, so won't be making them unless there's some interest in them

thanks!! oh for some photos of past happy customers, check out these:

http://www.freewebs.com/flip4nip/

please note, that page is slow to load, but there ARE photos on it!! :)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Appropriate amount to pay a rat-sitter?
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
I am going on vacation for a month and my co-worker is watching my three rat boys. She does have 4 girls but hers have not been sick and mine are all healthy right now and this is the best option I had since my mom will be out of town.  :-\ I plan on making a hammock set for her girls and she also gets to pick up all of my shifts at work, giving her about 32hrs a week. I'm proving all of the food/bedding/cleaning supplies for my boys. I offered some money even though she is happy to do it for me...especially because she absolutely loooves Elliott! How much would be appropriate considering everything? We're both college students and I'm about to spend a good bit of money on a trip to Europe so I know she isn't expecting something outrageous.
She has 1 cat, 2 dogs, 1 hamster, 3 fish tanks, 4 rats (and up until recently she also took in her sister's 2 guinea pigs for awhile and just rehomed her bearded dragon, and her male mouse just died)... so she is used to taking care of a lot of pets!
I was thinking something between $25-$40, plus the hammock set and I plan on finding something to bring her from Europe.
Is that enough?

Offline Ally <3's Sammie

At a loss for what to do
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
So we had to re-home 6 of our rats a few months back because of my allergies/asthma.  We only have 4 left , and my allergies and asthma seem to be raging out of control.    We love them to death but we can't even play with them outside of their critter nation anymore because they give me horrible hives and I will have to use my inhaler.   My wife always gets stuck with cleaning the cage because I am literally not even capable of doing it without going to the Emergency room  ( it's happened before).  We are torn about what to do, and would be willing to let them go if they went to the right home/homes.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  We are located in Manchester, NH but can travel to MA as well.  If anyone has any advice to give, or has any place in their heart or home for any of the girls please respond thanks so much. 
Cats: Veda, George, Tia, Eddy & Peter
Dog: Rosie (Yellow Lab)
Frogs: Gus, Olive & Otis
Hamster: Bruno
Cockatiels: Lucy & Hedwig

Offline Ally <3's Sammie

At a loss of what to do with the girls
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »
So we had to re-home 6 of our rats a few months back because of my allergies/asthma.  We only have 4 left , and my allergies and asthma seem to be raging out of control.    We love them to death but we can't even play with them outside of their critter nation anymore because they give me horrible hives and I will have to use my inhaler.   My wife always gets stuck with cleaning the cage because I am literally not even capable of doing it without going to the Emergency room  ( it's happened before).  We are torn about what to do, and would be willing to let them go if they went to the right home/homes.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  We are located in Manchester, NH but can travel to MA as well.  If anyone has any advice to give, or has any place in their heart or home for any of the girls please respond thanks so much.  2 of our rats especially need somewhat of special care ( one has a chronic mycoplasmosis and one has  a small tumor so she needs to be kept comfortable and loved in her last months)  We just don't think it's fair to them.
Cats: Veda, George, Tia, Eddy & Peter
Dog: Rosie (Yellow Lab)
Frogs: Gus, Olive & Otis
Hamster: Bruno
Cockatiels: Lucy & Hedwig