Author Topic: Silent Spinner  (Read 17795 times)

katiesmom

Assembly instructions for CN cage
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:15 PM »
Does anyone happen to have the instructions for the assembly of the critter nation cage?  I put my cage together and threw away the instructions thinking I would keep it forever.  I developed allergies to my rats, so now I have the cage for sale but no instructions.  Could someone make a copy and send it to me or scan them?  Or does anyone know if they are online some place?  I hope this is okay to post here, if not then please delete or move to another section.  Thanks!

Offline xxoreoxxkiwixx

• I miss you Oreo♥
One Rat Short
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
I don't know how many of you have seen this animation, but its really good. Someone had showed it to me a while ago, and today I dug it up and watched it again. It's a bit long, but really really well done, and our little ratties are portrayed perfectly. Haha, I wish there were some blue-eyed rats out there, I guess that will always be a fantasy.
This is really cute and sad, and you should definetely watch it =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniV2OGwSms

Offline xxoreoxxkiwixx

• I miss you Oreo♥
One Rat Short
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
I don't know how many of you have seen this animation, but its really good. Someone had showed it to me a while ago, and today I dug it up and watched it again. It's a bit long, but really really well done, and our little ratties are portrayed perfectly. Haha, I wish there were some blue-eyed rats out there, I guess that will always be a fantasy.

Offline xxoreoxxkiwixx

• I miss you Oreo♥
One Rat Short
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »

Offline Chihua

I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
Did anyone catch the part involving rats? They had these rats (the domesticated ones at that) in a tunnel and were making one of the "celebrities" stick their hand in the tunnel to grab something. Of course the rats were "vicious" and they were attacking the person's hand.  :doh: Now the guy's going on about how the rats kept trying to eat at the same wound. Those poor rats must've gone through some trauma to react like that. (If it's true.)
Stupid show.  >:(

Offline Merlinsquill

Trying to cope...
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Hi guys...I'm going through a really tough time right now and I love this forum, so I wanted to come here for some support. I guess I haven't been on here that long and I don't really know anyone here, but I'd really appreciate any words of encouragement that might come my way.

Last spring a traumatic event happened to me and I developed post-traumatic stress disorder. Before that, I had been depressed and in a few somewhat long-term relationships that were emotionally unhealthy/borderline abusive, so I guess I should have seen it coming. But anyway, a few months before the trauma, I became close friends with a guy and started to really like him. He was in a long-distance relationship at the time that wasn't too great for him either, but I had a gigantic crush on him anyway and I think he might have reciprocated to some extent. Then he finally broke up with his girlfriend and we just sort of...slipped into a relationship. We had already been pretty much acting like a couple anyway (not physically, but everything else), so it just kind of happened.

It was really good for a while, I think. I was just so overjoyed that it wasn't unrequited love, and it was great for a few months. It started to fail last fall, though. He tried his best to deal with my PTSD, but I'm already a dependent, clingy person by nature and I think the depression and anxiety worsened it. I also found out that after he broke up with his girlfriend, he had just decided to "give it a shot" with me and didn't really feel about me as strongly as I did about him. Not having a real start to the relationship already bothered me; finding out that he may never have cared the same way about me in the first place just made it worse. I felt wholly insecure in our relationship; I felt like he hadn't really had to put an effort into "courting" me because I pretty much threw myself at him. I felt jealous a lot because from what I knew of his previous relationships, he had really put his all into them and they had broken up with him; I just felt inferior to all his ex-girlfriends and that made me more possessive and clingy.

I think I knew since last fall that things weren't working out, but I ignored it. My PTSD and occasional, half-hearted, when-it's-convenient support from a lot of my friends drove me to isolation from all but one or two of them. I moved off-campus and spent almost all my time with him. After a while, the chemistry just...disappeared. He is a very passive person by nature; it was disconcerting to me to not be screamed at all the time by my significant other, so I didn't know what to do when he just started slipping away from me. It wasn't that he ignored me, really; it was just in the way he wouldn't respond the first few times to me asking him something (because he was off in his own little world, with work or whatever else he was thinking about), or how he kept spending all his free time buried in his laptop, or how we stopped being intimate. I spent a lot of frustrated nights realizing that this wasn't fulfilling, and I thought about breaking up, but just...never did.

But then this Tuesday I just snapped. I was tired and cranky and possibly slightly biologically-unbalanced hormonally, and he was late to meet me because he had gone to play tennis with one of his female friends. I just snapped when I saw him walk in the door all happy and totally unconcerned, and I cried and started talking about breaking up. He was quick to jump on the bandwagon and say how it was probably a good idea because he wanted me to be happy and I clearly wasn't happy. He never mentioned anything about himself or him wanting to break up; it took a lot of pushing for him to go from using the words "you" and "us" to admitting that it wasn't working out for him.

It bothers me to think that he just kind of passively sat through our relationship even though it wasn't fulfilling to him either, and pretty much waited for me to break up with him. And now I'm heartbroken and I've been crying for days and I miss him terribly. Because I was the one to mention breaking up, I feel like it was all my fault and if only I hadn't snapped that day and if only I had tried to not be so neurotic and clingy... now he wants space, and I know we weren't having a great time anyway, but I can't help but want him back because it hurts so much. I guess a little honest part of me is ambivalent about this whole thing, because after all, do I really want a relationship with a guy who might not actually want to be with me? But the thought of getting back together just seems so much better than the crying and depression and heartbreak right now.

I'm coming back to college to take classes again at the end of this month (I'm so close to being done, because the Event happened my senior spring...), and I'm terrified I won't be able to handle it. Things were going so well, with readmission and not being terrified of other college students and guys anymore... and now this.  :(

It feels a lot better to write this all down. Thanks in advance for reading. I feel kind of comfortable here even though I don't know you guys, just because you're all so caring and you have this same love for little furry rat-like creatures like I do. I'm going to go downstairs to get some kale for my little guys and try to eat some dinner while I'm at it. Thanks, guys.
Chief and Julian: Proud Bachelor Inhabitants of Deep Space 9
(Thank goodness they're not tribbles.)

Offline Trillian

• Posts Too Much!
  • Music + Rats = Life and Love
Rude and uneducated
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2009, 12:37:49 AM »
So I was answering a couple questions on yahoo answers about a person getting a rat, well a couple people told her she needed to get a friend for her rat and gave her some VERY good info...well then a person comes on saying:
"Ok, I know the other people were like, YOU HAVE TO GET TWO RATS but really that is a myth. From personal experience, you will actually form a stronger bond with a rat if you just have one. The catch is, you have to spend twice as much time with it if you do only get one. When you get multiple rats, they form stronger bonds with eachother, so there is less of a need for them to bond with you.

EDIT: (Directed towards answerers, not asker) Again, people, it is an absolute MYTH that rats need a companion, because their companion is YOU! If your guys's rats need companions, it simply means you do not spend enough time with them, and you should not own rats. Like you say, rats are companion animals, and if you get one, you should be expecting to be the quality of companion a cagemate would be.

ADD: You guys don't believe me. I had a rat who we spent almost all day with, and really it wasn't hard and she was NEVER depressed or lonely. You guys really can't say your rats will get lonely and depressed if they don't have cagemates if you have never actually had a rat alone. I have, and she was the happiest rat I've ever seen. People who hated rats liked her. And she ate meals with us, watched tv with us, went to the store with us, went to the park with us, we even took her to a horse show with us. So it is NOT garunteed that your rats will get lonely if they don't have a cagemate. From day one, we spend probably ten hours out of the day with her. It really isn't that hard, and is not much different from going everywhere WITHOUT a rat. Honestly, I don't see how you guys can say there is no doubt that a rat will get lonely without another rat. Will your rats sit on your shoulder for several hours at a time? Do your rats sit in your lap while you eat breakfast or do homework? Have your rats really even SEEN anything but the inside of your house? I'll have you know, our rat went with us on our trip to Disney land. Probably the only rat in the world. So, watch what you are saying about "you can't spend enough time with your rat." Because we happily, easily did. So you do YOUR research. Sometimes the truth is not on the internet, or in books. You gain it from EXPERIENCE. I don't know, maybe you had a single rat and it died from being lonely. that is just because you didn't spend enough time with it, which is a poor excuse because it's not that hard to spend a lot of time with your rats. If my rat was still here, she'd be on my shoulder right now. How about you? Would your rats be sitting on your shoulder?

~*~*~

OMG this made me see red!!! How DARE she call me a bad rat owner!! This made me FUME!! I don't mind any kind of insults I really don't but when you tell me I don't care about my rats that just....*lights on fire* and in fact we had been having free range time at the moment and I was sitting in the large pen I use for my ratties, covered in rats and typing on my lap top,  it took A LOT of cute ratty faces and cuddles to calm me down, what are your opinions PLEASE give me some -_-
CLICK US! PLEASE CLICK US! WE WANT TO LIVE!!!

Offline coya4321

Rat Needs New Home--Amesbury Ma
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
A friend of my mom asked me to post this. Her daughter had this albino girl but then she moved and left the rat with her. Pinky--who is med sized--used to ride her shoulder and come out all the time but hasnt received any handling in a long time.

She is 2 and very healthy. She would be great for the right person who has the time to socialize her again. I would take her but I already have 4 cages of rats to clean on top of all my other animals. She has become cage territorial--not bad just nips a little when they put her food in but has never drew blood--but if she was able to come out on her own I bet she would be a great rat again. I have rats that are territorial in their cage if I stick my hands thru the bars but love bugs if I reach in with the door open.

Would you be willing to give this girl the love and attention she deserves for the last leg of her life? She will come with cage and other stuff that is left.

Ruth

Offline Connor13

New member of the Family! *PICS*
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
Well since one of my 2 rats passed, I needed a brother for Gixxer. So I was hoping to get a little pew boy, but the pet store I went to mostly had hoodeds, so my dad and I picked out a healthy looking bright little guy. They said he is about 2-3 months. I just thought I would show some pictures because I think he is cute, and I will show some pictures of Gixxer, who is now a year a bit. (Hooded, with what almost looks like agouti colouring. ;))
This is only my 3rd rat so thats why its such a big deal to me lol.

I took these today. Also Gixxer is on meds for his what im going to call "congestion." poor little guy.

I usually don't give Gixxer peanut butter that much, but it was just for "cute" purposes.

Hes very cute.

The name of my new boy-   Hammond!

Nice colours

Cute wittle wat face...

This is the temporary cage for him. (I know you can't see all of it, but im saying that cause it looks small!!) He will be moved into the FN after quarantine and a hopefully successful intro!!

Hope you like my new boy!  ;D
What do you think of him?

Connor13

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
is there anything i can do that will help
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »
it appears that my 'kids' have mites, so i ordered some puppy/kitten Revolution from petshed.
but i won't get it for about a week! so is there anything i can do to try to reduce the itching and maybe lower the number of mites somehow, while we wait?

i've been cleaning out each cage (i've got 3!! plus a Martins playpen!) each day, and changing all the bedding every other day, but i don't know if this helps at all.

i wipe down the one girl who has the scabs on the side of her face, i wipe her down with a baby wipe every day, it seems to soothe her some.

she's the only one with any scabs, i've got one girl who came to me with hair loss on her back, and that comes and goes, but mostly appears to be due to barbering, the hair is chewed off in places, it looks like a bad hair cut, and i've not found any scabs on her

anyway, just feeling bad for my itchy kids and wanting to do something for them while we wait for the "cure"

Offline andie3131

• Posts Too Much!
  • Harley RIP
Must resist...have no choice
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Why did I look, why?  I have kept my butt off Craigslist for, awhile now.  Oh ya I remember it was the topic about the martins playpen someone found on CL haha...made me check out my CL.    Bad idea. 
I saw a posting for a 3 legged rattie....I am a 3 legged, well ok 2 legged and 1 armed(same thing right???haha) person LOL.  I cannot, I know I can't adopt her but I soooo want to.  I am at my personal limit and I am going back home for almost 2weeks on Wednesday. 

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
  • My name is Grace, not Penny! ;)
Corn time!
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »
The rats were looking particularly cute today, so I dragged out dad's fancy camera and gave them a little corn on the cob :) I literally took about 50 pictures... 4 were decent xD

Wake up Penny!

Heidi stole it before poor Penny could get some :P

Nom nom nom! Dis is mine naow. Yus. All mine.

And just because it makes me giggle...
I am ratless. Someday I will own rats again.

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline lovierats

dehydration worries
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03:33 PM »
We just saved 2 baby girls from being snake food at our local pet store.  The girls are about 6-7 weeks old and have only been home for 2 days.  The girls are eating fine but don't seem to be drinking enough in the heat.  They are not comfortable enough to take things from us yet, so trying to force feed them water w/ a syringe does not go well.  Their scruffs stay in a pinched shape for a moment before going back down, definately no snap.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to help them?

We've also given them a water bowl and water bottle with flavored viatmins and regular water.  They do drink, but it does not seem like enough...HELP!
My 2 ferret girlies: Ivy and Shin Boku
My 2 ferret boys: Leeroy [Jenkins] and Arthas
RIP Joey, Sarkhan Vol, Elspeth, Reya, Crovax, Akroma, Liliana, Orim, Razia, Miri, Oona, Nicol Bolas, annd Ixidor my wonderful angels, you are greatly missed!

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
Corn time!
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
The rats were looking particularly cute today, so I dragged out dad's fancy camera and gave them a little corn on the cob :) I literally took about 50 pictures... 4 were decent xD

Wake up Penny!

Rats across the Bridge: Penny, Heidi, Jerry, Teddy, Lucy, Sophie, Silhouette, Jupiter, Ozy, and Rorschach. I love you all and hope we will someday meet again. :heart:

Offline Pennytherat

• Posts Too Much!
Corn time!
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »

Wake up Penny!

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
3 year old rat living with 6 month old young'ins....concerns.
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:55 PM »
Friday night Spartan was not using his right leg for walking (just for holding food), he just had it curled up into a little ball tucked up under him. I was pretty concerned, but it was too late for the vet....so I have him some metacam (left over from neuters) for any pain. He was using the leg more on Saturday and I continued the 1 drop of metacam once a day yesterday. By this morning he was using his leg and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

I am unsure of how he could have hurt his leg....but I guess the possibilities are endless. I am just concerned it was one of the 4 younger boys that live with him. The "babies" are all 6.5 months old and neutered, so they are mellow...but I have seen them romp around the cage like youngins' do...also pinning down Spartan trying to get him to play.

I have never had a rat reach the age of Spartan. Leonidas, Ralphie, and Louie were all almost 1.5 years old when they passed away for various reasons. Spartan is 3 years old next month!

I have modified the FN buy making sure all the levels are double padded with towels, fleece, or flannel to comfort Spartie's joints. I added in a 3rd shelf into the FN so that the bottom ramp is not so inclined. I worry it makes it worse on Spartan because now he has 2 "steps" to pull himself up on to get to the top level (where he likes to be). I can't just use 1 shelf really low in the FN because it also won't be fair for the young guys.

Also, Spartan is pretty heavy...he is a BIG boy. He just got that way....he doesn't eat junk foods, either. He is a rex (which seem to be more prone to being over weight, to me)...and has all this saggy skin around him....his saggy fat skin jiggles when he walks. It pretty much drags to the ground.

My concern is...

I am afraid that the young boys are "too much" for Spartan. A lot of the times Spartan wants to eat and sleep. He does LOVE to come out of the cage and run around, but he gets tired quickly. I've just noticed him slowing down more lately, I guess. I am also scared that the young boys are maybe too much for him, that they hurt his paw?

I am just not sure what I can do about it or if I should do anything at all. I obviously don't have another rat Spartan's age, that I can put into a "retirement home" with.....and Spartie shouldn't be alone, of course. I wish I could put Spartan into a retirement cage, like the XL Super Pet cage with the blue base, so he wouldn't have to climb levels.

I do have a very mellow female rat, Spice (who is going to be 1 years old in August) but she is living in the CN with her 3 daughters and I would hate to take her away from them.

:-\

Have you guys been in this position before? I am sure many of you have....I just want to know how you got through it to make sure you're old rattie was comfy, happy, and safe.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »
Friday night Spartan was not using his right leg for walking (just for holding food), he just had it curled up into a little ball tucked up under him. I was pretty concerned, but it was too late for the vet....so I have him some metacam (left over from neuters) for any pain. He was using the leg more on Saturday and I continued the 1 drop of metacam once a day yesterday. By this morning he was using his leg and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

I am unsure of how he could have hurt his leg....but I guess the possibilities are endless. I am just concerned it was one of the 4 younger boys that live with him. The "babies" are all 6.5 months old and neutered, so they are mellow...but I have seen them romp around the cage like youngins' do...also pinning down Spartan trying to get him to play.

I have never had a rat reach the age of Spartan. Leonidas, Ralphie, and Louie were all almost 1.5 years old when they passed away for various reasons. Spartan is 3 years old next month!

I have modified the FN buy making sure all the levels are double padded with towels, fleece, or flannel to comfort Spartie's joints. I added in a 3rd shelf into the FN so that the bottom ramp is not so inclined. I worry it makes it worse on Spartan because now he has 2 "steps" to pull himself up on to get to the top level (where he likes to be). I can't just use 1 shelf really low in the FN because it also won't be fair for the young guys.

Also, Spartan is pretty heavy...he is a BIG boy. He just got that way....he doesn't eat junk foods, either. He is a rex (which seem to be more prone to being over weight, to me)...and has all this saggy skin around him....his saggy fat skin jiggles when he walks. It pretty much drags to the ground.

My concern is...

I am afraid that the young boys are "too much" for Spartan. A lot of the times Spartan wants to eat and sleep. He does LOVE to come out of the cage and run around, but he gets tired quickly. I've just noticed him slowing down more lately, I guess. I am also scared that the young boys are maybe too much for him, that they hurt his paw?

I am just not sure what I can do about it or if I should do anything at all. I obviously don't have another rat Spartan's age, that I can put into a "retirement home" with.....and Spartie shouldn't be alone, of course. I wish I could put Spartan into a retirement cage, like the XL Super Pet cage with the blue base, so he wouldn't have to climb levels.

I do have a very mellow female rat, Spice (who is going to be 1 years old in August) but she is living in the CN with her 3 daughters and I would hate to take her away from them.

Have you guys been in this position before? I am sure many of you have....I just want to know how you got through it to make sure you're old rattie was comfy, happy, and safe.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »

My concern is...

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

My concern is...

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
guess what's living under my shed?!
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2009, 07:22:58 AM »
we used to have two ground hogs living there. but we didn't see them this year. My husband has been seeing a skunk walking around the yard early in the morning and at night. Figured she  took over the hole . well guess what? she has a baby! A cute widdle baby! SHe was following mommy around the yard. It was funny,I don't think she could have gotten any closer to her butt!
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline rattus

Michael Jackson's Ode to the Pet Rat
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »

Offline Tubagirl90

Cube tutorial/pattern?
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
I entered 'cube' in the search bar, and plenty of people gave links for tutorials for making hammock cubes, but I couldn't get any of them to work....maybe because they're from older posts?

Does anybody know where I can find a good tutorial? Im really having a hard time trying to figure this out on my own!!  ;D

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Best open source video editing software?
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »
I would love to have video editing software to make layered music videos with. I play mandolin and violin and have a keyboard I tinker with and think it would be awesome to combine all three and be able to back up singing with harmonies! I googled "open source video editing software" but I have no clue where to start looking or what features are the best.
My laptop has a webcam and my old digital camera can record videos, too. I think that my camera's videos are .avi files and the ones my computer takes are .wmv  .. I don't know if that matters or not.  :P
Anyone have an recommendations based on what I want to do with the software?

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
Suggestions for calming/relaxing music?
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:04 AM »
I have been under a great deal of stress lately with a new job, summer classes, relationship issues... yeah yuck. I have been trying everything to relax a little and nothing seems to work.

Then my friend introduced me to some of her music and it helps ALOT! I am 18 and I like the typical new stuff on the radio but after a while it gets boring listening to artists talk about the same stuff in every song.  :-\ My friend is well a little "out there" lol and I was skeptical about the music but after listening to it I can just feel the tension in my body slowly go away.

She suggested:

-Deep Forrest
-Enigma
and
-Enya

So far Enya and Deep Forrest are my favs and although most of it is in other languages and I have no idea what they are saying, their voices are relaxing (they could be talking about couches for all I know  :P).

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I am open to anything and I actually like listening to other languages so that is great too. I am also listening to sounds of nature and rain when I sleep which I find helps me fall asleep alot quicker.

Thanks!
-Lauren

Offline Elyse

Hazel and Piglet
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
These are my sweeties.... :heart: :heart: :heart:
Hazel, is really starting to grow on me alot. I love them both but my little shy girl is coming out of her shell. Last night she was romping around in her crinkle cave and jumping out at me from the little holes. It was adorable. She's still a little nervous when I hold her, but the fact that she is at least crawling on my lap and playing with my hand just makes me smile. I'm kinda partial to her. :heart: :heart: I love Piggles too, though. She has been up in my face since day one. Going on week 3!

Piggles- She won't sit still long enough for me to get more good shots of her. The rest of them were black blurs. lol. I think she is an Irish marked? I'm new to this. She has 4 white paws and a white blotch on her belly. What would that be?

Hazel- My himi girl. Love her to tiny little bite sized pieces...(Don't mind the poop... we were working on litterboxing. They're finally getting it. :yelcutelaugh:)

Elyse