Author Topic: Cat Diet Help for Toothless Cat  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Cat Diet Help for Toothless Cat
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:27 PM »
Some of you may remember Sahara, if not she was a Siamese that showed up in our garage and the speuter place recommended she be seen by a vet about her teeth. We went to the vet who said she only needs 2-3 teeth removed to be called just after he anaesthatised her that he will be lucky to save any, well he managed to save all of 2 teeth (canines, one top, one bottom).

My issue is now food, I had originally wanted to feed her raw, is this even still a possibility? I couldn't find anything about feeding raw to cats with basically no teeth. She has always vomited a little, mainly after eating but more so now her food is swallowed whole, is their anything we can do about that? She had bloodwork done at the vet, that was fine so she isn't ill.

She is currently eating blue buffalo finicky feline because 1. She likes it and can manage the small pieces 2. It was the lowest protein out of all the better foods which was good since she had put on weight. Ideally though I would love it if I could switch her to raw or even a wet food diet but are there any good foods in gravy?

My main issue is wet food, she hates pate and paste type foods, which she also struggles to eat. We had been buying buying the new wellness in gravy but she only actually licks the gravy off and leaves the chunks of meat. My husband bought a can of the Simply Nourish cat food which she loves and can/ will eat, is it any good? The first few ingredients were chicken, tomato and duck but I can't honestly remember the rest.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
Re: Cat Diet Help for Toothless Cat
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Have you thought about a meat grinder? My mom uses it for her cats. She grinds chicken for the most part and it breaks it down to where it's basically the same consistency of hamburger meat.

My girls are the same about wet food. They think it's something they need to bury and that's it. However my mom stumbled upon a brand called Fussy Cat or Fussy Kitty? Fussy something regardless. It can get expensive, but even my picky eaters loved it. I guess hence the name Fussy Cat. I've only bought the fish types, though apparently they also have chicken, and you can see the pieces of fish so you know it's not just a rendered chunk of god only knows what. But still small enough to eat without chewing really, and it's another gravy ish can. It's not your typical bagged frisky type gravy. Hopefully that makes sense.

Another thing too, are you mooshing the canned food or just plopping it in a bowl. It may sound silly, but just quickly mixing it all up with a fork makes it a lot easier for them to eat. I only ask because my boyfriend things feeding kittens is just opening a can and putting it straight in a bowl. I go in an hour later and they barely licked the top layer off. I mix it around and they'll clean the bowl. Same thing goes if she likes the gravy, mix it up more so she has to eat part of the food to get the gravy. You can add a bit of warm water to soften it up more too if need be. My mother adds with her canned food canned pumpkin and some natural yogurt, which again makes the texture softer if needed but it's good for them too. Apparently my girls eat that mix but won't eat the canned food I give them  ::)

See our cats refuse to eat the wellness pouches. They get Wellness canned food, and if they are picky eaters still they were getting a little bit of fancy feast on top or now the Fussy Cat now that we've found a healthier alternative.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
In regards to dry food- Low protein actually means high fat and/or high carbohydrates. You are better off feeding at least 30% protein. On the flip side going with a real high protein food often means higher fat which isnt good either.

The way to get a cat to loose weight is to limit feedings to the appropriate amount not filling the bowl randomly. If the food is coming back up less food at once should help. It could also be the blue buffalo.

Blue buffalo is one of the last foods I will ever feed. I try to feed foods without fish due to the high mercury. I feed pet guard chicken but i have to order it. The ingredient list on one of the california naturals with chicken and no fish is decent but it has rosemary which I prefer to avoid.

One of my cats has had a lot of teeth removed. He eats dry fine. Raw meat causes him to vomit within 5 minutes of eating even a small amount.

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
In regards to dry food- Low protein actually means high fat and/or high carbohydrates. You are better off feeding at least 30% protein. On the flip side going with a real high protein food often means higher fat which isn't good either.

The way to get a cat to loose weight is to limit feedings to the appropriate amount not filling the bowl randomly. If the food is coming back up less food at once should help. It could also be the blue buffalo.

Blue buffalo is one of the last foods I will ever feed. I try to feed foods without fish due to the high mercury. I feed pet guard chicken but i have to order it. The ingredient list on one of the California naturals with chicken and no fish is decent but it has rosemary which I prefer to avoid.

Shows you how much I know about nutrition LOL but she is now at a better weight and seems to be staying steady at her current weight.  You wouldn't feed the BB because of mercury? I struggle to find dry food she will actually eat, we didn't have any luck with wellness dry. Where do you order the pet guard chicken from? Can you order a small bag or just large bags? I want to know she will actually eat it before I buy a huge bag.

I will definitely look into a meat grinder to try to get her onto raw though but in the mean time will try to find the fussy cat wet. Thanks!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
There is a calculator somewhere to calculate carbs in a cats food. For the life of me I cant find it.

You can get pet guard chicken in the purple bag at health food stores if you want to try a small bag. They also have canned food. You cant just switch to any food cold turkey or they will get diarrhea or vomit.

I order it from www.petflow.com  I dont feed any organic food. There are too many fillers to make up for the expense of the organic meats. They often have less meat.