Author Topic: Lip smacking?  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Lip smacking?
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
This is actually about my mouse girl, Binx, but since the pocket pets part of the forum doesn't get much traffic at all, and because mice are so similar to rats in most ways, I figured I could post this here  :)

Besides her issue with bloating at the moment (just gave her some Karo syrup, and will pick up infant gas relief stuff tomorrow if she's not any better), she has been smacking her lips since yesterday morning.  At first I thought it was clicking like with an upper respiratory infection, but upon closer inspection, she's just smacking her lips.  She does it all the time, even while running on the wheel. 

Her appetite is the same as always, I've watched her drink from the bottle a-okay (and have tested it a few times to be sure it's working properly), and she's running around like normal (though I can tell she's a little uncomfortable thanks to being somewhat bloated).  It's just incessant lip smacking... I think the bloating may be a separate issue (though I could be wrong!), but I'm not sure if "she's smacking her lips a lot" is a good enough reason to take her to the vet, especially if otherwise she's okay.  I just imagine that being a, "well, she seems okay to me..." kinda vet visit  :P

If it is connected to the bloating issue, could her being bloated cause her to have a bad taste in her mouth or... something?  I don't know, I'm kind of at a loss here  :yelcutelaugh:

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:58:54 PM by Scubbs »
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Lip smacking?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
Hmmm... How are her teeth looking? I know mice are a bit harder to get a look at when it comes to their tiny parts.  :yelcutelaugh: I wonder if maybe she bit her lip or something and it's annoying her. Is she drooling at all?

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:03:58 AM »
She's not drooling, and I tried my best to get a look at her teeth last night, and they looked alright (not discolored, didn't look maloccluded).  Yesterday she was a bit more disheveled and... weird.  She's normally a very friendly mouse and will even greet me at the door when I open it (before popcorning away all coy-like), but yesterday she wanted nothing more then to be out and on me.  She couldn't even settle down enough to sleep.  And once in my hands, she'd try endlessly to gnaw at my nails and fingers, which she's never done before.  That also points to teeth issues to me, but they looked okay from what I saw  :-\  Thing is, I'm not too sure how much a vet can do with mouse teeth - even just trying to get a look at them.

Of course, now I want to get a second look at her mouth, but since she's a little bloated, she doesn't like me touching her  :P  I really hope this is a fluke thing (both gas and lip smacking), since she is freakishly friendly for a mouse and is utterly hilarious to watch  :heart:

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »
I would guess maybe something with her teeth after the gnawing issue and her restlessness. I wonder also if she's maybe just uncomfortable because of the bloating and can't settle herself down and the lip smacking and nibbling just happens to be her way of distracting herself. Somewhat like people pacing when they're in pain, since pain can make anyone a bit frantic.

The only other thing I can remotely think of is something potentially neurological with the oral fixation and restlessness. But I've personally never experienced it with any of my current or past mice.

The Karo syrup SHOULD work for the bloating (And the baby gas relief if that doesn't), and I would probably wait to see if that also improves the other issues before calling the vet. Unfortunately, I end up with a lot of home remedies recommended by my vet anyway for mice and hamsters. They're just so SMALL that even a lot of things we use for our rats end up a total flop in mice.  :-\ One of the worst things about owning them, honestly.

I hope she clears up for you soon!  :heart:

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:55:27 AM »
She's already improved, just from dosing her with diluted Karo syrup a couple hours ago, thankfully!  And knock on wood, but I think the lip smacking has calmed down as well.  Hard to tell though, since I just fed the mice and the rats, so first and foremost I just hear a chorus of clicking and crunching  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
Hmm, our Pixel rat smacks his lips when he first wakes up, which is super adorable.  He also does it in lieu of bruxing sometimes when he's really happy, almost like he's using his tongue against his top lip?  Maybe that's what your mouse is doing?

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:16 AM »
Normally something so simple wouldn't be cause for concern, but the fact that she's never done it before, and has been doing it non-stop, is the issue.

Plus, non-stop soft, mouthy clicking noises are pretty annoying  :yelcutelaugh: 

Here's to hoping it was connected to the gas issue and is gone now!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »
I wonder if she was swallowin air when she was lip smacking causing the bloat?

When my rats lip smack they actually roll their tongues and I don't think it has anything to do with swallowing air, but mice might be different.