Author Topic: Petey Green Conure 2008  (Read 2116 times)

Offline kimichanga

Petey Green Conure 2008
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

This was my sweet beloved Petey and first Parrot (well besides parakeets as a child) also had a cockateil. We got him at 8months old from people who didn't care for him properly and didn't provide him attention. He was obsessed with children of all ages and never ever bit anyone except adults.<--well not me and my fiancee of course. I think they got rid of him because he was so loud if you didn't spend time with him but he accepted us into his flock...he was all green when we got him and only knew "step up" and was named Oscar. We renamed him Petey and kept him on our shoulders at all times and he loved kissing us and preening us (BTW the people told us to never keep him on our shoulders as it was a way of him thinking he was boss), anywhoo we didn't listen and he became the BEST bird I've ever owned. We fed him a variety of fruits and veggies and he especially loved loved LOVED pizza hahaha Soon after feeding him fruits and a good variety, he then started breaking out all over with the red spots and started becoming vibrant and colorful =P He learned lots of words and even 2 different laughs and sounds from video games but at times he was most like a 2 yr old child and just very stubborn and onry...anywhoo, we moved from VA to CA and we had to drive 2 seperate vehicles so I had to rehome him because I couldn't imagine  driving that far and stopping at hotels with him and if he were to freak out and scream the whole way I wouldn't know what to do. I regret rehoming him because I think of him alot and I get sad and can't imagine another bird as they all have diff personalities. I wasn't in the right state of mind when we rehomed him but I thought it was for the best but now IDK if it was? IDK how he's doing and seemed like whoever I gave him to stopped updating me on him and seemed to avoid the topic when I brought it up so I'm guessing she got rid of him before he even settled in but very sad and it's happened to me ALOT with rehoming animals! I don't really get updates on them. Well we got him at 8months old in June of 07 and had to rehome him March 08  :'(
Anyone else have great conures? I was thinking of another conure or sun conure but IDK, it feels like it wouldn't be the same without Petey. They say that he won't learn much words being a green conure but BOY WERE THEY WRONG lol
Kim
2 Sulcata hatchlings my M&M's (Morla&Morty)
2Dogs Mickey & Buttercup aka Butters
1 Cat- Tuco
3 Rats (Bambi, Mishka, & Jacky)
3 kids (1angel bound/1earth bound/1 on the way)
1-Manimal=hubby

Offline Garavar

Re: Petey Green Conure 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »
I have a green conure (mine's a little butthead :P), and even though he's loud and obnoxious at times, I can't imagine rehoming him  :(. I know how you feel, though. When I moved from New Mexico, I had to leave my sweet pittbull behind because she was to big to take with us in the U-haul (the parrot came with us, and deafened us the whole way).

Unless you are ready for another conure,  I wouldn't recommend getting another, as you might try to hold it high expectations. If you did get another, maybe try a Sun conure. That way it wouldn't be a constant reminder of Peetey.

Offline kimichanga

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
I have a green conure (mine's a little butthead :P), and even though he's loud and obnoxious at times, I can't imagine rehoming him  :(. I know how you feel, though. When I moved from New Mexico, I had to leave my sweet pittbull behind because she was to big to take with us in the U-haul (the parrot came with us, and deafened us the whole way).

Unless you are ready for another conure,  I wouldn't recommend getting another, as you might try to hold it high expectations. If you did get another, maybe try a Sun conure. That way it wouldn't be a constant reminder of Peetey.

Mine was a lil butthead too hhahahha I miss him sooo bad and regret it in a way but I had no choice because we drove 2 vehicles from VA to CA and couldn't imagine how loud he'd be in hotels and if hotels would even take him...that's a long way to drive with a bird and I didn't wanna stress him out but I feel bad cuz I think about him alot all the time and I know he was one of a kind...idk if I'd ever purchase one again but was thinking about a parakeet in the future but i don't have much experience with parakeets. Petey was like a little kid and stubborn but he was hilarious. I had to rehome my sugar gliders because they are illegal in some states and especially CA so I couldn't take them either...just took my 2 dogs. I thought about taking petey but couldn't see it happening and we had to leave last minute and didn't have a back up cage for travel and his cage wouldn't fit any of the vehicles so it was a sad and hard decision but the girl we rehomed him to was very knowledgable about birds and handled petey really well and he took to her like no other so IDK if she still has him or whatnot...you know how people lose touch after a while (really annoying to me since I'm not like that) I wish they would give me updates on any of my pets but things don't always work out that way.
Kim
2 Sulcata hatchlings my M&M's (Morla&Morty)
2Dogs Mickey & Buttercup aka Butters
1 Cat- Tuco
3 Rats (Bambi, Mishka, & Jacky)
3 kids (1angel bound/1earth bound/1 on the way)
1-Manimal=hubby

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
I have a dear friend with a modest if very bright conure, too!  I nice lil' stinker!   :wink5:

Sory think I hit the wrong button!

I will consult with my avian PhD freind and see if any comes of his.  A handsome boy, though!

- Raaz.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:07:26 PM by Rzrwyre »