Author Topic: Do you prefer Fleece liners or bedding?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline sampson2010

Do you prefer Fleece liners or bedding?
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
So I am wondering if using fleece liners is making my cage smell worse.  Seems like the fleece starts to smell after only a day. 

So thought I would get an idea of what everyone prefers.  And what you have found to be the best to use for bedding besides carefresh?

Thanks!
Crystal

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
Re: Do you prefer Fleece liners or bedding?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Well I like liners much better then bedding. I just don't usually use all fleece liners since they're not as absorbant (That could be why it's kind of smelly). Usually I get towels, line the cage with them, and then put liners (all fleece, cotton with cotton, flannel with flannel, whatever really) over them. It seems to work well.

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
At this point I'm just using plain ol' bath towels as liners and that seems to work well. I've been using fleece/towel liners since it was winter but now that it's warming up, just cheaper towels seems to be just fine, like the $3-$5 ones from Target. I can lay fleece over that if I want, but for now just the towels themselves are working and I haven't noticed any smells even though I now have 3 not potty trained girls >_> They poop everywhere... I just make sure not to get the kind with loops that can get snagged. So far, it seems cheaper than litter too even if the corners do get a little chewed  :doh:

Offline sampson2010

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
I am hoping neutering the boys will help a lot with the smell.  They are pretty stinky, lol

I thought about towels but read somewhere not to use them because they don't stretch like fleece and rats can get their head caught and choke if chewing holes in them?  Anyone else ever hear that?

I might try towels instead before bedding.  I hate bedding as it gets everywhere!  Liners are just easier

Crystal

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
Well I think the problem with towels is that if they chew holes in it the strings can wrap around their feet, legs, heads, ETC. But that can happen with cotton and flannel also. I haven't noticed a problem. I just check the towels often and if I see big strings I snip them off.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
I use bath towels and have never had an issue. Just like with hammocks, just make sure to snip any strings away. It works SO much better than fleece and tends to be cheaper. It's more absorbent.

Offline neelia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
I'm a liner girl all the way. I hate changing out bedding and the mess it makes. I'd rather change out liners 2-3x a week than deal with bedding.

Offline Audrey

• Rats<3
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
-What I do is have a towel on the bottom pan and then cover it with micro fleece(Or Blizzard Fleece depending on where you are)

^-It works so much better than having actual cage pads on the bottom because all my rats chew the bottom level liners and don't do anything with cage pads on the levels

-then on the levels I have like cage pads (Double sided with micro fleece and batting in between) If you have tiny girlies they tend not to be able to move the cage pads around.

-Also if you have things on the corners of the liners (litter pan, bowl, box, stone, wheel ect) the rats wont care about getting under the bedding)

-As for smell towels always help with that! But if your rats aren't litter trained don't put micro fleece down over the towel until they are!

Hope this helps!  :wave2:

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
I've found I have to use both liners AND bedding with my crew. If I put a liner in the pan of the cage, they shred it. It looks like swiss cheese within a few days. If I try to weigh the pan liner down, they shred it even faster. So I use bedding in the pan and liners on the shelves. The liners do get kind of stinky, but it would be worse without them, since my rats like to pee on the shelves and without liners urine would splatter absolutely everywhere. 
Owned by two cats (Tiny Tim and Jasper) and two rats (Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix, Jr.)

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:45:20 AM »
I use fleece (Toy Story themed  :) ) sewed to regular bath towels for liners.  I HATE bedding, it gets everywhere, stinks, and causes allergic reactions with me, I've never found a type of bedding that didn't kill me.  I've got 4 boys in a DCN and I change out the liners about every 5 days, they mostly poo in the litter box, but pee where ever they fancy. I love that it takes me about 5 minutes to clean my cage now, I whip the fleece out, put the new liners down, wipe down any toys etc, and done, no mess, no fuss. I shake them out outside, and throw them into the washer.  I've also used puppy training pads under the fleece to soak up the urine and stop the smell. I would never go back to bedding now.

Offline Ollybabee

• Posts Too Much!
  • Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
I never did like liners. I had a few cages where we used them, but they were more of a pain to me than the cages with bedding...and I used aspen, which is annoying as heck since it sticks to everything. I've since switched to carefresh and it's a lot less of a hassle and works for me. I hated liners because they smelled faster, they were chewed through within a day and had full blown holes after 2-3 uses, so they had to be replaced, they never stayed in place and so the cage floor was always gross and sticky, requiring me to scrub it down anyway(which i wanted to avoid with the liners to begin with), so I just stopped altogether and got deep panned cages again to use bedding.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:43:28 AM by Ollybabee »
Owned by three big boys, Everett, Rainey and Cobb.

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
I think it saves a ton of money on bedding to use liners, but I have to swap out liners and wash every few days.   Instead of liners, I use bathroom rugs for my full levels.  I cut a hole so they can go down the ramp to the bottom level.  On the shelves I use fleece liners, nothing fancy, just fleece cut to size and secured with a clip.  I find that the bathroom rugs are more durable and don't get destroyed as fast as fleece does.

Offline sampson2010

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
thank you for all the suggestions!  I will be buying some dollar store towels this weekend and trying those.
Crystal

Offline htsr4

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 12:36:41 PM »
I prefer bedding. Liners got chewed and cost me a lot of money. Stove pellets and hay or newspaper only cost me a couple dollars a month. Rats also like to dig/burrow in bedding. My rats loved bedding soo much more than their liners.
I did use liners on shelves but thats it.

Offline kittymalone

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
I don't have a cage good enough for liners yet but when I do I will be using fleece liners. I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on here or not but it really helps to "prepare" the fleece before using it by washing it 4 times (this helps the fleece to wick the moisture away from the fabric and absorb into whatever you're using under it). I have 4 guinea pigs and have been using fleece over towels for a while now and it is so easy to clean and change. I scoop up poos every day and do a complete cage change once a week. I know rats are different but I think it would work the same way for them.

Offline Keisha

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
i have a FN 142.
the top level has a fleece liner
and the bottom level has a cement mixing tub that is filled with newspaper for them to "dig" around in.
i only change fleece once a week.
and it's alot less messier.
especially since their room is carpet. cleaning up aspen bedding was a nightmare. lol
Slave to:
Bruce, Tweedledee, and Tweedledum (male dumbo rats)
Jack Jack (standard male rat)
Aphrodite, Demeter, Iris, and Artemis(mice)
Fluffy (Standard chinchilla)
Boo (Hetero Ebony chinchilla)

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Litter/Bedding here. I save the fabric for hammocks (I've had some pretty hardcore chewers, so I'd go through liners like toilet paper  :yelcutelaugh: ).

Offline Winterlest

• A balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
Litter/Bedding here either. Fabric gets dirty too fast and smells a lot. I'm not lazy so changing bedding isn't a problem to me.
Mommy to:
1 cat - Cece
1 rat - Nino

Bridge rats: Oscar, Boo, Maurice, Moe, Rodney, Marley, Remy and Nestle. I'll keep you forever in my heart <3

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »
I use both. My rats are seperated right now so 2 cages. The frankencage has litter because that guy wouldn't litter train and always moved the liners everywhere so it was a huge pain. The CN I use a plain fleece blanket- he's litter trained. It just smells like buck, not gross or anything.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
I too use both, bedding in the bottom pan and liners on the shelves.  My girls are big chewers so liners wouldn't save me any money.  I certainly wouldn't spend the money on the nicer liners!  I also just use towels and have never had an issue with anyone's toes getting stuck.  They are more absorbent, last a bit longer, and hold up better through washings.  Also, I've noticed a couple of my girls really enjoy playing with the bedding, so I'd hate to take that away from them!

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
I prefer substrate as I scatter feed.  It allows them to dig, and it's good for my tilty girl as it cushions her when she falls.  It also smells less.  I just keep a dust pan and brush next to the cage to sweep up any substrate that is kicked out. 
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline sampson2010

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
What bedding do you find you like the best?  I have some carefresh but stopped using it in their litter pan due to a possible allergy from it.
The boys chew everything including the new liners I just got them so I don't think they would be cost effective for me long term.
Crystal

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »
I use a horse bedding.  It's like paper wool, but it's cut into small pieces.  My rats use it for nests as well as substrate, and it's very absorbant. 
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline Kisami

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
I hate bedding. It is messy, gets everywhere and just feels dirty to me. I much more prefer fabric. It is easy to just toss and clean and reuse, makes changing the cage simple. It is prettier too lol

I just posted this in another thread lol:
Fleece works by wicking away moisture (urine). So it is really great to use. You need to make sure to never use fabric softener though as it will prevent it from doing that lol. So when the fleece wicks it away you need something underneath to absorb it. Some people use cotton towels you can use newspaper as well. I use both.

i do use aspen in their litterbox though. & strips of newspaper for them to play with.

I have no smell issues with using fleece.

I think no matter what you use we all still have to clean the cage and it is probably the same amount of time between change cleanings for either.

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
The last time I had rats, I used fabric lining. This time though, I have ordered a deep pan from Flower Town Chinchillas for my new CN cage, so I will be using Yesterdays News in it when I get my new boys. I have used YN before and I was amazed with it... as I could put my nose almost in it and couldn't smell anything.

Plus, I am moving to a place without ensuite laundry, so now I have to pay $2 per machine per cycle.