Author Topic: Do you prefer Fleece liners or bedding?  (Read 14251 times)

Offline sampson2010

Re: Do you prefer Fleece liners or bedding?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
thanks everyone.  It's not about me being to lazy to clean the cage, it's more about the cage starting to smell the same day I clean it.  I do not want to have to clean the cage EVERY day.  I have 8 cages total in my house between the birds, chins and rats and if I have to spend my life cleaning cages how can I enjoy them as pets? 

I was set on using fleece with towels underneath but have since found that the rats are chewing big holes in the liners and after 2 or 3 uses they need to be thrown away.  That is going to get quite expensive so now I need to look into using bedding for them. 
Crystal

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:43 PM »
the rats are chewing big holes in the liners and after 2 or 3 uses they need to be thrown away.
Yeah, that is what cheesed me off about using fabric. I'd spend the entire day sewing up liners, and they would destroy them the first time I used them. I had to put so many patches on them it was ridiculous.

If only we could tell rats to please, please not chew on them and they could understand and obey. XD

Offline Bombalurina

• Ritten
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 05:13:17 AM »
I used to use towels, but with my piddly boys even they would smell after a day.  Since Carefresh is $80 for a 20litre bag here, there is no way I can afford it for my Furet Tower.  I am using fleece in my hospital cage for my boy who just had a foot operation, but in my main cage, I just have lino.  They have soft towels on top of it on the shelves, inside the nest boxes, and plenty of hammocks, but the main flooring is lino.  It doesn't get chewed, it doesn't smell and you can wipe messes off it so easily.  :)  Plus it is nice and smooth underfoot, and cheap.