Author Topic: Hamsters and Hammocks?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Garavar

Hamsters and Hammocks?
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
I am adopting a Russian Winter White (so excited!) next week, and I have alot of extra fabric I was gathering when I was considering rats. Do hamsters enjoy hammocks? If so, does anyone have dimensions for smaller cubes, tubes, and cuddle cups?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Hamsters and Hammocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
I use fleece/fleece for hamsters since if they chew and pouch stuff, I don't want fibrous things in there.

I don't have measurements off the top of my head, but you also have to remember that they don't climb well, so anything they use will have to be near to the ground. Free standing fleece/fleece cubes are super easy when they're that small, though. They stay on their own.  :yelcutelaugh:

For cubes, I do something like 4"x4", but 5"x5" would work if your machine doesn't like the smaller dimensions. For tubes, I'd go with at least a 4" opening, and however long you want. My rat cuddle cups have a 7" diameter base, so something like 3-5" would work, and you'll want a fairly short opening so he can climb in.

Offline Garavar

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
The smaller dimensions would be no hassle, as I sew by hand  ;D
Thanks for the fleece advice. I have never had a hamster, so I wouldn't know what they pouch and whatnot.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
They'll pouch weird things, sometimes. My Mom's hamster will sometimes spit out seeds when we're holding her, and one time the piece that makes her silent spinner work was in there among the food.  :P

I was glad to find that piece, at least.

Just try to make sure that whatever they could get in their mouths can come out easily, pouch infections are not fun to deal with, and often go unnoticed until it is much too late to help.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
They really do pouch the weirdest things. My friend had to stop giving her hamster any sort of tissue paper or toilet paper for nesting, because he'd pouch it and then hack out a big spitwad.  :confused:

Just be sure you're not giving anything pointy that they could pouch, because that can poke and lead to abscesses in the pouch.

Offline Garavar

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:42:49 PM »
Wow, weird indeed. The weirdest rodent I had was a squirrel that would pry the caps on pens and hoard them all  ::)

I will take this advice (and odd stories, lol) and put it to use.

One more question: Is newspaper bedding okay if the newspaper uses soy-based ink? My local paper went "green" a few months ago.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »
As long as it's soybased. You might find it gets smelly and wet, though. It isn't absorbent and pee will likely just leech into the fur. Maybe you could use a thin layer of aspen or something under the newspaper for a bit of absorbency.

Offline Garavar

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
That sounds great. I was more worried about the hammy ingesting the ink than absorbancy  :doh: