Author Topic: Neutered rabbit.. but it DID NOT HELP!  (Read 4814 times)

Offline PVTNate

• My dumbo rat Daisy is in this picture!
Neutered rabbit.. but it DID NOT HELP!
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Hello everyone, So I had my rabbit neutered... Everyone said that his urine odor would be much better but it isn't at all! He smells so bad and it annoys my family and myself because his odor moves itself outside of my room and stinks up the place! Also, he digs at the bottom of his cage so much and its really annoying when he wants to do this at 4 in the morning! Anything to do to stop that? Ive also noticed his urine is dark.. The reason I have seen this urine color is quite funny! One day I was sitting at my desk which is next to his cage. Well, I looked over and he emptied his bowl full of food then put his bowl in his litter box. He then urinated into his bowl... thats when I saw the color of his urine.. THEN he DRANK HIS OWN URINE! I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with him LOL. I couldn't help but stare with my mouth wide open! So do you think something is wrong with his urine odor.. maybe a UTI? Or something along those sorts.
Father of...... 3 rats (Josephine, Daisy, and Sandy), 1 Guinea Pig (Goldey), 1 mouse (Sue), and 2 gerbils (Romeo and Juliet)
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Neutered rabbit.. but it DID NOT HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
When was he neutered? It can take weeks for hormones to settle down.

How big is his cage? If it's too small, that could be why he's digging.

Rabbits urine can be dark if they're dehydrated. Is he getting enough water? Does his water bottle get stuck or does he have a bowl? Are you refilling it daily, even if it's not empty. It needs to be fresh. If he's dehydrated, that could be why he drank his urine.

If there is blood in the urine, he needs to see a vet, and that could cause the smell also.

Offline crazy_anna

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
What diet are you feeding him?  Is he getting enough water?  Remember that it takes a few weeks for the neuter to 'kick in' and he likely is still getting all of those male hormones out of his system.  Dark urine does suggest dehydration as RattiesSix suggested. Have you talked to the vet that performed the neuter about this problem?  I would schedule an appointment within the next day or two and have him seen again, right?

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »
I have had rabbits that took a couple months before hormones settled. I have also had rabbits where you couldn't notice a difference in personality after they were fixed.

I use apple cider vinegar in my rabbit water - 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. I don't have links but there have been articles published on the benefits (helps with neutralizing urine odor, aides in digestion, it can also persuade a rabbit that has gone off water to drink). I do it, have 13 rabbits (RIP Hazel :( ) and there is little to no smell. Of course I also spot clean up to 2 times a day. I have been doing it on the rats too btw - seems to be working, have had a couple people ask me if I got rid of the rats. They never smelled terrible before but you could tell I had pet rodents.

What is your bunny eating? Is it for sure blood or is the urine a reddish brown color? Is it always that color? Veggies high in beta carotene can cause urine to darken to a rust color, however, when in doubt, go to a vet. Better safe then sorry.

As for digging, I think it's a natural instict. We get a lot of dumps (which makes me dread Easter, btw) as we live next to a couple acres of empty property. I usually catch at least 2 rabbits per year. I have had deep tunnels dug in my yard (which actually makes catching them easier as I set the trap right by their hole... of course, there have been 2 we were able to catch without traps but most are scared out of their minds and not as socialized as they should be).If his cage is large enough, offer him a digging box. Or get a kiddy pool and fill with dirt when he has out of cage play time. I don't really have this issue, only occasionally do my rabbits dig, usually at feeding time, when they are returned from floor play, or after a deep cleaning.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline PVTNate

• My dumbo rat Daisy is in this picture!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
Ah! Thanks for all the info! :) Well its been about 2 months I think since his surgery.... I am in a pre-vet tech class and my technical school I attend and I do know how to preform a UA so I'm going to try and collect a sample from him and see if there are any crystals (which could inform a bad diet) or if maybe he has a UTI. His cage is pretty big- Plenty of room! He always runs lap in his cage which is very loud (but very funny!!) He definitely drinks a ton and I refill the water every night and the bottle isn't even empty yet (almost though). But thanks for the information! :) I'm going to maybe even take my rabbit to school for my teacher to do an exam on him. I have other animals in my room.. for example 5 rats (they do not smell at all!) and 1 guinea pig (she doesn't smell either) and then there is my rabbit (smells very bad LOL.) But thanks everyone!

P.S. JessicasZooCrew I'm very sorry to hear about your rabbit Hazel:( The loss of a pet is so hard!
Father of...... 3 rats (Josephine, Daisy, and Sandy), 1 Guinea Pig (Goldey), 1 mouse (Sue), and 2 gerbils (Romeo and Juliet)
*R.I.P Dolly*
*Welcome Sandy*