Author Topic: What size Cement Mixing tub fits a DFN?  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Rosepetalbed

What size Cement Mixing tub fits a DFN?
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I bought the famous "scatter guards" for the critter nation and ferret nation and they are not wheat I expected them to be.... :doh: Litter/bedding still gets all over the place!! I know a lot of people use the Cement mixing tubs in the cages but wasn't sure the size to get? Do they come in small,medium or large or is it in gallon size? Lowes, Home Depot should have them right?  :help:
Jeremy and Flower ( both 2) Craigslist feeder rescue, (not sure on age) and 2- 5 week olds....rex and gray masked :)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: What size Cement Mixing tub fits a DFN?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
I got mine at Home Depot, and it's just the largest size they have. 36"x24" maybe? Something close to that.

You will have to use a saw or some very sturdy shears to cut the rim off the top of the bins, but other than that, you are good to go.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
I got mine at Home Depot, and it's just the largest size they have. 36"x24" maybe? Something close to that.

You will have to use a saw or some very sturdy shears to cut the rim off the top of the bins, but other than that, you are good to go.

Yep, that's the size I got - it's only the lip around the edge that makes it 36 x 24. I used a box cutter and a yard stick to cut mine, it was easy and quick. I think if i was doing it for ratties I might just cut the sides down a few inches.

I have messy boy degus in a SCN - how would you do the top floor with a cement mixing tray in a double? Or would you only do the bottom?

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
I've got the mixing tubs in my DFN.  I didn't have to cut them down at all--it was a tight fit, but it worked.  I used to have two tubs (because I had two different groups living in the DFN that didn't get along), but I now just have one tub on the bottom and opened up the middle section of the cage.  I had to remove the top part of the DFN to remove the second "floor" (with the cut out, where the ladder/hook is) that separates the two levesl.  I added in another homemade shelf to make sure they've got enough floor space and make sure I've got lots of hammocks.  It works great for me!  Let me know if you'd like pics!

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
I've got the mixing tubs in my DFN.  I didn't have to cut them down at all--it was a tight fit, but it worked.  I used to have two tubs (because I had two different groups living in the DFN that didn't get along), but I now just have one tub on the bottom and opened up the middle section of the cage.  I had to remove the top part of the DFN to remove the second "floor" (with the cut out, where the ladder/hook is) that separates the two levesl.  I added in another homemade shelf to make sure they've got enough floor space and make sure I've got lots of hammocks.  It works great for me!  Let me know if you'd like pics!

Love to see your pics!

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »
I've got the mixing tubs in my DFN.  I didn't have to cut them down at all--it was a tight fit, but it worked.

Woah, really? My doors wouldn't shut at all until I took the rim off.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I've got the mixing tubs in my DFN.  I didn't have to cut them down at all--it was a tight fit, but it worked.

Woah, really? My doors wouldn't shut at all until I took the rim off.

Different suppliers, different products. I had to take the rim off mine, too, but I've read that others haven't.

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »

Love to see your pics!

It only took two weeks...but here's a photo!  Hope it's helpful!  Please excuse the "ghost rats" in the photo...I had to take the photo without the flash because the flash was just too much!

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
I know this is an old thread...but hoping Beanjelly might see this anyway. Which tub did you use? Was it the 887102A from Homedepot? I would LOVE to have a tub that fits like yours does without having to cut it down possibly exposing sharp edges. Thanks!!
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:37 AM »
Got the email notification that someone had posted here!   :wave2:

I honestly do not remember exactly what I bought.  I'm pretty sure that I did buy it at Home Depot, and I googled the tub you referenced below and it looks right...but I can't guarantee anything!  Like I said earlier, it's a tight fit but the doors do shut.  When I take the tub in and out, I have to put it in "diagonally" at first (one side lower than the other--left to right, not front to back), then push the higher side down.

Good luck!  I hope whatever you buy fits!

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
Figured it was a longshot...but hoped you'd get the message..lol. Thanks a lot! I'm going to go get one this weekend and hope it fits. Anything has to be better than poop on my floor every morning..ugh
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline beanjelly

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »
Figured it was a longshot...but hoped you'd get the message..lol. Thanks a lot! I'm going to go get one this weekend and hope it fits. Anything has to be better than poop on my floor every morning..ugh

Oh, don't worry.  You'll still get poop on your floor.   :yelcutelaugh:  Don't forget, there's still other levels for those little buggers to shove poop out of!  My solution would be to get a dog, lol.  They love eating the little treats.   :thumbsup2:

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
lol. My cats love swatting them around the floor  :eek: