Author Topic: What color/pattern are you yearning for?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
  • Lose your dreams, lose your mind.
What color/pattern are you yearning for?
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »
I have a horrible case of GGMR since I brought home my 4th rattie two weeks ago. Having 4 is so different than having 14+, like I've had in the past. I've just been browsing breeder's websites looking at pictures, (mind you, I have no intention of adding to my rattie family) and Googling different varieties.

Personally, I would love a Dumbo PEW or BEW. I think they're so adorable. I have a major soft spot for PEW in general, and the ears just make it better! I'm fascinated with Burmese and Mink. I find their coloration mesmerizing. Merle rats are gorgeous, too. I'm achin' for a rex! Agouti Dumbos are lovely. My first rat ever was an Agouti, I would love another one. And last bt not least, chocolate. I adore the rich, brown color. I know that while I have all these visions of rats I want, I probably won't have any of them for a very long while, if ever. I just want to help ratties that need someone to love them. So while there's pretty ones that I find more appealing to the eye, it's the personality that always snags me, and we all know they choose us. In other words, I have absolutely no control over what I end up with.  :yelcutelaugh: :cheeky:

I was just wondering what everyone else's favorites are, whether you've had the colors before or want them in the future. I like when others share in my obsessions... makes me feel less crazy.  :wink5:

Offline missamy

Re: What color/pattern are you yearning for?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
I always wanted a hairless, and I finally got one a few days ago!  So that urge is satisfied.  The other type I would really love to have is a siamese dumbo. I think they are sooo cute  :heart:
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
Color-wise my dream rat is a dumbo American blue hooded. I've never had one, or any blue hooded, and every time I've found one available in my area it's been a female. I'm not overly fond of the girls.

But lately I've been wanting a plain old black hoodie in either top ear or dumbo. It's been a long time since I've had one in my mischief.

I don't plan on getting more rats until after all of my current crew have passed, but when I do I think I'm going to try to adopt a pair or small group of boys that includes at least one black hoodie. Of course, if I can find a group that includes a blue hoodie AND a black hoodie, I'll be in heaven.  :heart:

Offline abmama

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love my pests... oops, I mean pets :P
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
I love the blue colored rats and the siamese/himi markings, I also love capped rats,  and  BEWs. I'm getting three PEW ratties sometimes between tomorrow and wednesday so that's one wish fulfilled  :BlueDumboSmile:
R.I.P Alladin,  Chuchip, Jasper and Anoki <3

Offline foxontherox

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
I had an entirely black rat years ago (black self?) named Floyd- I would love to get another!

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
I always see everyone on here going gaga for hoodies! To be quite honest, they're probably my least favorite...

@missamy - I have a hairless and a siamese dumbo. Hehe! Once I get my camera working I shall post pictures for you!  :thumbsup2:

@Miss Vicky - Not fond of girls? Gasp! I miss my girlies terribly. They were so much cleaner.  ::)

@abmama - Aww, congrats on the ratties! That's so exciting. I love the feeling of getting new ratties. I'm just too maternal for my own good, and since I'm in no position to have an actual baby right now, I take all my urges out on the rats.  :BlueDumboSmile: But they like it, don't let them fool you.

I used to have a blue rat, Prue, who I took in along with her sister, Piper (I'm a Charmed fan, can you tell?) My friend at the time convinced their owner, a friend of hers, to get rid of the rats. They were both about 8 months when I got them, but they were extremely malnourished, had nasty furr, smelled like cigarettes (the owners were chainsmokers) and were not socialized. I got their fur to be a little softer, and got the nicotene out of their coats, but they both had scarred lungs, which they both had to be PTS for when things got too bad. I had loved blues previous to that, but I guess maybe I'm just a little put off by them since that experience.

I really love Siamese and Himis, though. I love them on cats, rabbits, rats... if only they made a Siamese dog! Maybe then I would be a dog person.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
@Miss Vicky - Not fond of girls? Gasp! I miss my girlies terribly. They were so much cleaner.  ::)

Nope. Not at all. Boys are so much sweeter. (Unless they're Dawg, and then they're just plain evil. But, hey, you love PEWs, right? Want another one? He's neutered.  :D )

My Ruthie B. (the "B" stands for something that rhymes with "itch") is a destructive little bully who picks on the boys and bites me for fun. The girls I've had previously were gentle enough, but weren't really interested in me at all. So I'm definitely a man rat kind of girl.

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
As fond as I've been of all my kiddos, the agoutis I've had are my absolute best friends. Seriously, they transcend "pet" and are my friends, my companions. If I could have any color/pattern, I would have babies from my male rat, Joe. He's been generally healthy (knock on wood), except for a recurring preputial abscess issue, and has a fabulous personality. Never went through the bratty adolescent stage, never pees or poops outside of his cage, is incredibly gentle. He's an agouti hooded. If I could, I'd have clones made of him in a heartbeat!  :heart:

Pet's name: Gerald

My current rats: George, Pumpkin, Alfie, Valentino, Franky, Buddy, Olivia, and Dash

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
Standard ear, standard fur, beige berkshire. I think its one of the most beautiful rats, and it was my past :heart: rat. Ever since him I've wanted another one SO bad.
Otherwise, for no specific reason, another hairless (dont care what color, ear type, ect) and another bad rex. Has to be a "bad" rex. I've only ever had one and LOVED his fur. Rex is nice, but I prefer "bad" rex.
What I want the most is a really big, fat, black hooded male. Back hooded is my favorite, and while I've had a lot, they're usually a little small, thin, and shy. I want a big fat one I can cuddle with. :heart:
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline abmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
Standard ear, standard fur, beige berkshire. I think its one of the most beautiful rats, and it was my past :heart: rat. Ever since him I've wanted another one SO bad.
Otherwise, for no specific reason, another hairless (dont care what color, ear type, ect) and another bad rex. Has to be a "bad" rex. I've only ever had one and LOVED his fur. Rex is nice, but I prefer "bad" rex.
What I want the most is a really big, fat, black hooded male. Back hooded is my favorite, and while I've had a lot, they're usually a little small, thin, and shy. I want a big fat one I can cuddle with. :heart:

TBH black hoodies r my fave (so far) simply because one of my first two rats is a black hoodie and he is the friendliest rat I've had, i've never had a mean rat but the others just didnt ever seem to enjoy my company, more like they tolerated my presence.

Offline msommers

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
I have 2 right now. India is a Rex and always looks like she is having a bad hair day. I don't know that I would have another one by choice. Her fur feels sort of rough and I don't know if that is normal or not. Does anyone else know? Chyan is a Russian Blue Burmese Self. Her fur actually feels silky. Both are top ear. In a year I want to start watching for a Siamese. Maybe a dumbo next time. I saw one on this site whose ears made it look like an elf--sort of pointy.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
I think more people here like hoodeds than the general rat community-they are more difficult to adopt out than the "splashy" markings like capped, blazed, etc.

I like the light colored rats, whites, beiges, etc.  It's not my priority when looking for a rat though :).  I did luck out recently and get a male PEW in my foster litter.

Also, I'll throw it out there, for those that love BEW's, I am fostering a BEW dumbo rex girl through MRR  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline abmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »
I think more people here like hoodeds than the general rat community-they are more difficult to adopt out than the "splashy" markings like capped, blazed, etc.

I like the light colored rats, whites, beiges, etc.  It's not my priority when looking for a rat though :).  I did luck out recently and get a male PEW in my foster litter.

Also, I'll throw it out there, for those that love BEW's, I am fostering a BEW dumbo rex girl through MRR  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

REALLY!?!?!  a BEW who is also DUMBO and REX!??!? Luckiest person EVER! You should def post pics !  :poke:

Offline AlwaysAmy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
I want a ginger rat.  Orange, cinnamon, apricot: whatever you wanna call them.  I have never had a ginger in all my rat loving time & I hardly ever even see them.  I am not actively searching for one, but it's on my wish list.   ;D

Offline BleedingRose

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
I already have Black Eyed Whites, Fawns, Cinnamons, Russian Blue Cinnamons, Russian Doves, Platinum, Champagnes, Siamese, Agouti, Russian and American Blue Agouti, Silvered Mink, Black, Russian Blue, American Blue, American Silver, Wedge Blazes, Masks, Capped, Variegated, etc. So, I really can't complain...but I would LOVE a Black Eyed Siamese, Burmese or Merle.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
There was another thread similar to this not too long ago, and I answered that I'd love black and agouti, but really now, I have the colors/patterns I have always wanted. I have come to absolutely adore rat's so much, I don't care anymore.  :heart: :heart: :heart:  :love5:

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
 I'm lucky that I have a very colorful group with 3 black hoodies, 3 different colors of blue dumbos one is rex and one is satin or something like that I think because he has the softest shiniest hair of any rat I have ever had, much softer than my girls even. I also have a fawn hooded, a hairless and a black capped. My black eyed siamese was my  :heart: but that was more for his personality than anything, though he was beautiful.

I have always wanted a burmese though a big male one! I also love agoutis.
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline jrchrds89

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »
I'd love to find a standard ear black masked or a dumbo dalmatian to add to my pair.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »
I've only ever had hairless, or black hoodies. So anything else would be a great change, but I have a real soft spot for chocolates, and unfortunately I think 'huskey' rats are the most gorgeous things. Not that I'd get one, with the risks and whatnot.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
I have two black hoodies and a Pew already (all standard coat, standard ears) I would love a dumbo blue type colored ratty (I am not particular about what type of blue) or a Dumbo himi or dumbo self (of any color)..
I've never been a fan of hairless, or rexes. But I do love the curly whiskers.
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
I want a ginger rat.  Orange, cinnamon, apricot: whatever you wanna call them.  I have never had a ginger in all my rat loving time & I hardly ever even see them.  I am not actively searching for one, but it's on my wish list.   ;D

:thumbsup2: Ditto

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
Well I love all rats and will settle for any one of them, but I have always wanted a hairless. :) I have a thing for hairless variety of any kind. Hairless Guinea pigs, hairless cats, hairless dogs, etc. Have you seen the hairless Guinea pigs? They are TOO CUTE! lol.
And I really like the dumbo ears, but I also like the standard.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats

youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

You would absolutely love my boys then. Both 1+ lb black hoodies and they are quite fond of pets, Piros especially loves a good scritching~ They're still not even a year old so they still run around a lot but they adore pets and cuddles when they're sleepy  :heart: Bear especially is such a sweetie, boyfriend and I agree if we only had Bear, there would be no need to close the cage ever and he would be 100% free ranged, he's that well behaved. I swear, he's more like a dog than a rat, and just has this quiet intelligence to him. He's just not really food motivated so training tricks is kind of difficult but he listens very well if he's doing something bad. And he loves hand wrestling and will roll over and give oodles of kisses. When he climbs out on our arms for play time, he licks as he walks. Not only is he adorable, but he's just such a love~ I'll have to get some good pictures to show just how big and squishy he's gotten :3 I'm just really waiting for them to get a little older because I know they'll be such cuddle bugs. So far, the only one who's actually gotten comfortable on my lap, which just made my day, is my patchy (recent tumor removals) Agouti girl, Bordeaux. She's the biggest, nippiest and will nom pretty hard if you startle her and has gotten kind of a bad wrap for that. She's the alpha of the girls making intros between my boys and girls difficult, but she has so much potential. I also have a teeny black berk, Shino, who is a sweet, feisty little monkey who just can't sit still and a little black hoodie girl, Mistral, who just has the softest fur and is very vocal (read crybaby).

Piros has the cutest face/snout being a bit shorter than Bears and his cute little notch ear~ Bear is a big squish with some spots, Bordeaux is a gorgeous Agouti with an adorable face that makes her look almost hamster-like at times but just needs her patchy spots to fill in (although I do love the feel of her skin). Shino has the cutest white tummy and socks, she's got a rusty butt, and her tail is black with a white tip  :heart: and Mistral has the most perfect hoodie stripe with a half black, half white tail, also has a rusty butt, and is just incredibly soft. Like, so soft, I could pick her out just by fur texture alone. And she's top-eared but her ears seem pretty large making her just that much cuter~ That's why I don't really understand when people say they don't care for "plain" looking rats. If you look close enough, you're bound to find something about them that is unique and beautiful, even in a bunch of PEW's. But maybe I just have that, my babies are beautiful no matter what, maternal thing going on. I just wish I had a better camera...

(sorry, I seem to just ramble on about my babies  :doh: back on topic:)
I adore hoodies. I just love the contrast in color and seeing all their different stripe and spot patterns~ I think my perfect rat would either be a blue or orange rex dumbo, preferably a hoodie but I'm not that picky  ;) , a patchwork rat (omg, I would KILL for a Patchwork but they're apparently hard to come by), or either just a regular rex/double rex/nakey. I love those curly whiskers and/or smooth skin~ I do love PEW's and BEW's as well as Black blazed. And I'm hoping that P/R eyed blacks come to the U.S. at some point. i saw a pic of one from the U.K. and she was too cute for words~ I dont know. It's so hard to have a favorite when each kind has their own cute features and variations. I really hope to get at least 1 dumbo at some point though. Those ears... they are just so friggin adorable...  :heart: ~  After owning rats for almost a year, I can safely say I am definitely a rat person for life, regardless of physical appearance so I'll probably have my share of variations over the next decade or so, lol. I only wish I could share the joy that is being a rat owner. Getting rats was one of the best decisions I've made and I love my crew to death for showing me just how awesome they are, even if they are a little plain looking by any standard. I think they're all beautiful and each has their own special physical features.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NariCaution

Please pardon my punctuation errors, my space bar likes to put 2 spaces which auto-corrects to adding a period.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
I'll be waiting on those pictures!
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
@Stacy M - A BEW DUMBO? I demand pictures!  :D

@Miss Vicky - My mom would kill me if I got another rat  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

@AlwaysAmy - I've never seen a fawn in person. They just seem so... bright. I haven't decided if I like that or not.

@msommers - Yes, rexes have coarse fur. It's normal.

I guess because the two hoodies I have had have both been extremely antisocial and occasional biters is the reason I'm sort of put off by them. I hear all the stories on here about hoodies being the sweetest things and it just makes me wish that mine had been like that. Maybe Fate will bring me a hooded that's a sweetie and change my mind.  :cheeky:

@Kitsch Slapped - Skinny Pigs are so interesting looking! You get to actually see their facial structure. You'd think I wouldn't find that odd since I have a hairless rattie, but a hairless guinea pig? Takes some getting used to.  :yelcutelaugh: They also have hairless hamsters, which I find adorable! Maybe I'm just not a guinea pig person. *shrugs*