Author Topic: How much does it usually cost to have a mammary tumor removed?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

a friend of mine has 2 older lady rats one of which has a mammary tumor or mass. she was asking me how much it would cost and i didnt have an answer for her. if somebody could let me know so i can let her know so her lovely lady rat can get some help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
Re: How much does it usually cost to have a mammary tumor removed?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
There's really no way to answer this question.

Vet fees vary greatly from area to area and even between different vets in the same area. Also, in my experience working in the field, many vets do not even have a set price for a tumor removal. The fee will depend on the size and location of the mass. You'd need to contact the vets near you to get an idea.

Offline TeddyBigEars

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
I second what Miss Vicky said about prices being incredibly variable.

That being said, Lily just went in today to get two tumors removed and the vet is anticipating the cost to be somewhere between $125-$150. I'm located in Missouri. That's about the lowest I've heard of...I know other people on here have said they spent several hundred dollars on a tumor removal.

Offline Jourdaine

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
Like Miss Vicky said, prices will always vary with vets. One vet wanted to charge me $300+ for removing a tumor from a boy I had several years ago. I actually just had one of my older lady rats Gypsy (almost 2 yrs old) have a small tumor removed yesterday. They labeled it as a minor lumpectomy and said it would range from $110-$130. I wound up being charged $110, which I think is a reasonable price. With the documents I received upon pickup, they listed all of the things that I was charged for, which was really just the supplies used during her procedure - anesthesia, minor pain medication after surgery for when she woke up, etc. This is also just the surgery, though -- this doesn't include the biopsy if you chose to do that.

If you do want to help your friend, I would just look for vets in the area that care for rats or "exotic animals." An appointment at the vet just for checkup shouldn't be too much (my vet charges me around $20-$25 per appointment but again, all offices are different), but you or your friend will need to call around. After the vet looks over the tumor or mass, they should be able to let you know the approximate price range that they'll be charging you. You're not obligated to schedule the surgery.
RIP Magenta 07/30/12
RIP Gypsy 06/28/12 <3

Offline StarlaBlaze

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
Thanks yall, i just emailed my rat vet and hopefully she will email me back about it soon
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline thejamiemarie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:54 AM »
The first i checked into wanted 700 for a tumor removal!! I finally found a good vet that I liked and trusted and tumor removals are 205. This includes surgery, anathesia, post op pain meds and a post op check up.
Mama to...
2 cats: Ophelia and Ichabod
1 dog: a Husky pup Denali
1 corn snake: Persephone

R.I.P
Ruby <3
Lilith <3
Scarlet<3
Grace<3
Peanut<3
May<3
Chai<3

I am currently ratless =(

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:22:26 AM »
At my vet, it comes out around $400 once everything is included.  I may be able to find cheaper if I were to shop around, but my vet is excellent, and I'd rather pay more to know I can really trust the vet.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
I've never had a mammary tumor removed, but different tumor. Cost me $160. Its crazy how much it varies.
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
I just paid $98 a few weeks ago, and that included nearly $40 for Metacam. It will be $40 for her spay.

Offline Snippet

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
My vet charges about 30 (about $48) for lump removals, and that includes pain killers and a post op check up.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

Offline brattyratties

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
i'm located in NY and  I just had a large lipoma removed on one of my boys..the surgery without boarding was 580 and 180 of that was from sending the tumor out to the lab to see if it were malignant or not.. Thank goodness it wasn't!  She did a beautiful job! Well worth the money, I couldn't imagine life without my lil baby.. You need to make sure you go to an experienced veterinarian who knows how to treat ratties...
Proud mommy of Blu, Extra, Squeaky, Weeble, and Schlep <3 <3 My 5 sweet boys :)