Author Topic: Bedding in a FN  (Read 1062 times)

Offline 02_daisy_04

Bedding in a FN
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:23 AM »
I have a single ferret nation that is modified to prevent escape.  We have a single female rat but will be eventually adding a companion (second rat died suddenly and unexpectedly).

Initially I tried fleece and a corner litter box with care fresh.  What I don't like about fleece is it smells and has to be washed a lot.  Also, I hate that they are always UNDER it lol.  So now I put care fresh in the bottom of the FN and fleece on the top.  Of course care fresh is everywhere!

I am not a crafty person, so I don't know how to sew a fleece/flannel liner.

What is the best bedding in this cage?  Have you found a way to keep the care fresh IN the cage?

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
Re: Bedding in a FN
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
You can buy bass pans for them
http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

Or I think some people use cement mixing trays :)
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline Dianaj

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
If my rats even look at fleece my whole room smells.  I have a critter nation and use a bathmat on the first level and  2 hand towels cliped around the top shelf.  I clean every 4th sometimes 5th day.

I also use Good Bye odor which I know is controversial but it was either get rid of the smell or get rid of the rats per my significant other.

You can also buy the large cement mixing tub at home depot, saw  the lip off with a exacto knife and and put the bedding of your choice in.  The tub fits into the first level.
 I've heard that carefresh is dusty and not good for odor control but since I don't use litter other's can chime in on that one.  At the pet store I go to they prefer Eco bedding.

Offline 02_daisy_04

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
I have one unopened bag of care fresh and I may return it and see if I can find the eco bedding.

I just think the fleece can't be alone, right?  It needs something absorbent with it?  I totally admit it is the diving under the liners that bothers me, lol.  I am not sensitive to smell, but my kids and husband complain.  I'm a nurse, I've smelled a lot worse!

If you use towels, what kind?  Do you worry about the little threads catching their toes?

Thanks for the link, I will check that out.

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
I use ordinary bath towels under the fleece.The fleece will stop them catching legs/toes/appendages in the towels and it wicks away the moisture to the towel.

My Blog!

Offline 02_daisy_04

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
So do you guys just use clips then so they can't dive under the towels?

How often do you wash the towels?

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »
Well I don't have an FN, I have a cage with a deep pan so I can't hold them down at all. I sew my towels and fleece together too so they don't make a complete mess!

I find my girls tend to leave it alone for the first couple of days and then they'll start trying to get underneath it.
You can use bulldog clips or something similar to hold it down but generally the rats are more likely to chew the liners to get under them.
Another alternative is to have the liners down and then put a loose blanket over the top that they can burrow under.

Washing will depend entirely on how many rats you have and how messy they are. When I had 5 girls in my cage I replaced them every week, now I have 9 I do it every 4/5 days. You don't have to wash them then though- I save on my water bill by having more fleece liners and only washing every 2 or 3 changes.

My Blog!

Offline Dianaj

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
You can try using  reclycled denim moving blankets underneath.  I forgot to mention I use these as well mainly because my rats spend a lot of time under the towels and its a nice absorbant extra layer.  I use bull dog clips for the hand towels and I overlap the towels so there is a seam down the middle.  They love to go under the towel where the seam is and sleep with their heads sticking out like they're tucked into bed.  Because I have a moving blanket under there, it still is an absorbant set up. 
I buy my towels at Target mainly because it's 3 blocks away.  Their cheap towels aren't too bad and they have nice colors. They seem to be holding up pretty well.  I wash everything right away in Tide Sensitive and vinegar. Sometimes the towels need an extra vinegar rinse. 
 I've never had a problem with them catching toes on anything.     

Offline Egween

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 03:07:43 AM »
I haven't had my DFN very long, but so far I'm using fleece with a towel sewed to it. I cut a big enough piece of fleece that I can cover the whole shelf or pan like a pillowcase. There is only one side open for me to slip the shelf into, which I tuck away against the door. They can't get under it and so far my three boys haven't tried to chew it at all. It works really well for me! The three boys have the whole Double Ferret Nation to run around and pee on, so it took about 7 days before it got stinky. It does require double the fleece, but I didn't want to have to deal with the boys burrowing under it or chewing at the corners or extra fleece dangling under the shelf.