Author Topic: new kitten help!  (Read 662 times)

Offline rlynn1025

• rawr! >;3
new kitten help!
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
Hi guys, :wave2:

So, I have a 2 year old cat.
For my birthday I got a new kitten. She's 7 weeks old. She is all set up in our bathroom right now, because I'm trying to introduce them properly. The door is cracked a little and our 2 year old before was hissing at the door today. We got her yesterday, ever since then she's left it alone. her fur wasn't standing up or anything, she was just tense and hissing so I don't think she's being offensive.  ::) I love my brand new little kitten, so I don't want to see her hurt.

Are there any pointers you guys can give me to help make this a little easier for my 2 year old? Without doing any harm to my kitten?

Thank you soooo much! :)
"Son, life just ain't that hard."

Offline missamy

Re: new kitten help!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
It's definitely normal for there to be some hissing.  You're doing right by keeping the kitten in the bathroom so they can get to know each other's scents through the crack of the door.  You can also try scent swapping. Take a towel/bed/blanket that the kitten has been sleeping on and swap it out with something your 2 year has been sleeping on. 
The fact that your older kitty was hissing but with no fur up or anything is a good sign.  She's just going to be unsure about the newbie until she gets used to her scent and to her being around.  I would keep doing what you're doing. Also, if she only hissed the one time and doesn't keep going back to the door to hiss and growl, that is a good sign too.  I would introduce them face to face with supervison as soon as you're comfortable doing so and see how that goes.  There are typically always warning signs before a cat gets mad enough to attack, so just stay with them and watch so you can remove the kitten if the older girl gets angry. 
Also just be sure to give your 2 year old lots of love so she doesn't feel like she's been replaced or feel jealous. They can be so much like children when a person brings home a new baby from the hospital.   :)
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:46:12 AM »
I've had 4 cats in my life, and another that lived with my cats but was my roomates.. so I'm kind of used to the initial cat hatred.
Before I got my ratties, and I brought home a kitten it would be in my CN for 2-3 days. Flea treatment, bath, let them get used to me. 2-3 days later I let them around the other cats. Hissing, being puffy.. all normal. Mine never escalated past that and some mild wrestling after 1-2 weeks was normal. It's just them showing who's alpha. I know when I got my 2 cats they were too young for a neuter and we had a fat grumpy(James) cat who has since passed, that was probably why the wrestling began.
Batman was fine by James, he didn't mature until later so that's probably why.. however Waffle. Waffle and James had some problems for about 3 weeks. Just James picking on him a lot really. Not like, blood or anything :yelcutelaugh:. James was too gentle/declawed to do any real damage.
They just eventually sort out there differences, unless you have one very very picky cat.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline rlynn1025

• rawr! >;3
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
AW yay thanks guys. I kind of figured but it's always really nice to have the reassurance that I have. I really appreciate your help. :) I'll make sure to check back if I have any more questions.
"Son, life just ain't that hard."