Author Topic: Bonding with Sugar  (Read 1586 times)

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
Bonding with Sugar
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:40 AM »
To start off with, I'm a big fan of catch-neuter-release. So far I've caught 5 or 6 cats - mostly males - humanely and had them fixed. First time I did this I over payed at a local vet. Now I go to a vet an hour away who specializes in catch-release. Anyway, three weeks ago I caught another one. A female and had her spayed. Then yesterday I spotted a tiny fur ball coming out of my garage and eating the dry cat food I leave out for the strays.

This morning I went into my garage and found 1 dead kitten and the tiny fur ball. I brought fur ball to the vet, got a dewormer, some liquid kmr and syringes. Dropped off a stool sample for testing. The kitten is approx. 4-5 weeks old and is now named Sugar until his forever home comes along and they give him a better name lol. Honestly I think the cat I caught and spayed is the mother and she abandoned her litter which is why Sugar is so malnourished and why I saw him.

Sugar is skin and bones and I don't know if he'll make it, but I have my alarm set for 3 am and 6 am for feeding and I'm going to give it my best shot. I've taken in ferals before, but usually 4 or 5 at a time and a little bit older. I read about single kitten syndrome and I think Sugar will be sweet enough not to have that problem. Pun intended. He's not purring yet, but he loves KMR and wet food and is no longer dehydrated.

I plan on finding him a home in about 4 weeks, once I'm sure he'll survive and is well socialized. He's not much of a hisser but he's not exactly human-loving yet. He also has extra toes and is about 6 inches long - not including the tail! He has his canines in already and can eat dry food but the vet insisted on KMR and syringe feeding. Right now I have him sitting on my stomach, he's just staring at me hissing occasionally but I think we're going to get along fine!

A bit of a rant, but if anyone saw my posts on the rat care center, then you've read my Nixie has a tumor and I'm ill. My dog of 8 or so years passed away and then I got sick last month. Then Nixie seemed to sprout a tumor over night and the vet said she was too skinny and old to perform surgery on. I'm not in the best place right now and I'm devoting my time to my rats and now this kitten, which is making me feel better. Having something to do, something to focus on has really helped me. I know things could be worse with Nixie, and I know my illness could hospitalize me. So I've been feeling very blessed. I hope and pray Sugar makes it, 'cause I'm going to try my hardest to keep him alive and I'm going to do my best to spoil Nixie. I think Merlin's jealous of all the attention I'm giving Nixie, but regardless...lol
Thorn & Fat Foot
My love for all my other babies - I miss you all so dearly!

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
Re: Bonding with Sugar
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:44:22 AM »
Big improvements today! He started grooming himself while laying on my lap. His butt's really red, but the diarrhea has stopped. He's already less skinny, but not very bloated. The eyes are a cause of worry, but I cleaned him up and his eyes seem to be fine now. Vet on Monday if his eyes don't clear up. Sugar's doing well and I'm through the roof! He eats every two hours instead of three, and about half a large syringe. Also eating and drinking on his own. I'm so happy :)

Thorn & Fat Foot

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Hopefully all keeps progressing well with Sugar, he's pretty dang cute.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »
How is he doing?  I've been away for a week, so I'm just now catching up on stuff!

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
He's on an antibiotic for coccidia :( but the diarrhea has stopped, his behind isn't red anymore, he's not bloated, the gas has stopped! Overall, he's done a 180 health wise. Personality wise he's just the most affectionate, sweetest boy ever. He's gained a lot of weight and now I've cut down the KMR feeding to every 5 hours. It's amazing what just spending time with a feral kitten can do haha :D
Thorn & Fat Foot

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »
Hooray!  We need new pics!

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
I hope that sugar is still getting better by the day.  We need an update and more pictures.  :poke:   :poke:   Also,  I just want to personally thank you for caring so much about sugar to help him pull through even while battling your own illness.

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Good news and bad news! Good news is he is now the sweetest kitten I've ever had. I wake up in the middle of the night to find him cuddling under my blankets - how he gets on my bed I'll never know XD Bad news is that his eye didn't clear up and the meds are not working in the least! The vet gave me a paste which he likes, but as you can see in the picture, it's been over a week since I started it and he's no better. Eye discharge I've been cleaning with a warm, wet paper towel just to make sure his furry face doesn't get matted.

Thank you YorkieLove ;)
Thorn & Fat Foot

Offline KristyS

• Castle of my Heart
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
And just for fun: Sugar's older brother or cousin thinking he's a rat (my qt cage in progress)
Thorn & Fat Foot