Author Topic: Cat getting neck stuck in spindles of kitchen chair?  (Read 5428 times)

Offline pepperannie

Cat getting neck stuck in spindles of kitchen chair?
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
This was my nightmare many years ago.  Our cat back then was playing on the chair and somehow got his head stuck inbetween the chair spindles.  When he tried getting out he could not and started to panic causing his neck area to go further down into the tighter area.  My husband was able to pull him up and get him out.  I have always had this worry.
That cat lived to be 17 years old then so all was okay.   Now we have a new kitty who will be a year old.  We also have new chairs which I bought after carefully looking at the spindles and how wide they were.   Well, it happened again!   This kitty was sitting on the chair and saw my hand resting at the top.  Jumped up to bat at my hand then then got his head in the spindle area.  Turned his head so that it could not get pulled out and then got himself further down.  I was horrified!  I tried to remain calm and then I got his head and pulled up and then turned it.  I am so worried because I thought I heard a crack.  He is eating , playing, walking okay.  Seems fine but I am so worried!
I now have all the chairs covered with pillow cases and sweatshirts!   I can not have another cat get caught in the spindles.
Is this something common?  Or just in my house?   Like I mentioned these are two different chairs!
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cat getting neck stuck in spindles of kitchen chair?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »
This is only anecdotal, but...sure, I've not heard much of that and lived with cats my whole life!   (Usually just them DECIDING to run under my feet in the dark and I'm completely and totally so nearsighted without my glasses it's not funny!) 

The only thing I can compare is that one day my boy kitty got somewhere in the inside of a recliner (which isn't even in the apartment space where he lived) and I was talking on the phone forever...and when I got up, I heard this awful noise!  The poor booger was squished SOMEWHERE in there and I was sure I killed him!  (He turned out to be fine...but that was quite the panic!)

I'd say you seem to just attract kitties with weird head-placing habits and maybe covering the chairs seems a good idea.

(My last girl was just a clutz and would try to walk on things that she'd be sure to fall off of...to each their own!)

Best of luck!
- Raaz.

Offline danigirl22

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »
I was just searching online because this happened to BOTH of my kittens in the last 2 months.  One of them was actually suffocating!  I am in the process of shopping for new chairs and have to keep them locked downstairs when I'm not around.  This is ridiculous!  What did you end up doing about it?

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
They make covers for dining room chairs.

Maybe try something like that?  If you're handy at sewing, you could probably even make some yourself.

Offline Caresmom5

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I haven't had this happen with my cats. But my young children have gotten their feet (ankles) stuck in the chair slats a few times. They sit on their feet and somehow get them stuck. Thankfully I've been able to lift their legs a bit or turn the slats and get them out with no worse than a slightly sore ankle for a few minutes. It's scary enough with a leg getting stuck...much be far scarier with a neck and a little kitten!! My son did once get his neck stuck in the stair spindles though :-[ Darn little critters...
I would definately go with covers like someone suggested. Either bought or made. Better safe than sorry!
Mommy to: 5 awesome human kids, 5 ratties: Biscotti, Hiram, Moses, Ainslie & Gracie, 1 angel-rattie: RIP sweet Dreamy, and 2 cats: Mini & Moops.

Offline danigirl22

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
I'm actually going to go shopping tomorrow to look for those covers... Right now I have moved the chairs onto the four season porch when not in use!  Not very convenient... LOL!