Author Topic: baby bunny-wild  (Read 1920 times)

Offline LeroysMama

baby bunny-wild
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
So, a friend brought me a baby bunny. She rescued it frm the jaws of the neighborhood bunny killing cat. The mother is dead, and this was the only baby that was left. Eyes are open, ears are up. Alert, mildly active, no apparent wounds after a thorough examination. Pink gums, peeing, no poop yet.

Currently, he's in a hamster cage, in the bathroom here at my friends house, in the dark, door shut, with water until its time for me to go home tonight. He's about 6-7 inches long, and weighs approximately 5-6 ounces at most by my guess. I assume he's old enough to be off milk, if not, I can't get any til morning. I have timothy hay, pressed alfalfa cubes, chinchilla pellets, and I have feeding syringes if I need to force some water in him. I have cotton balls for potty stimulation, but I don't think he needs it.

He's with me for at least the night, and I need to know anymore info that could help, and any numbers for wildlife rescues around new Bethlehem, because I don't have a way to Pittsburgh (yeah, im in Pennsylvania by the way).

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: baby bunny-wild
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
If the bunn is 6-7 inches, it has passed the weaning stage. One they are the size of a soft-ball, they are self sufficient.
The best thing you can do for the little guy is release him in a safe area.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
wildlife center I volunteered at rule of thumb with cotton tails - eyes open they are on their own.   

Offline LeroysMama

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:51:12 AM »
Well, he passed sometime between 4 and 7 last night. I checked on him at 3pm when I woke up and he seemed happy and fine, and I was waiting for dusk to try and give him a decent shot, went to get him out around 9 and he had been gone for awhile, he was starting to get cold and stiff :/

I'm not sure if he had some internal damage from the cat shaking him, if he had some bite wounds i couldnt find, or if he just simply was too far into shock. He was curled up in the sleeping position with his eyes mostly closed, so I'm hoping it was at least quick and painless, or as painless as possible.

I named him bunnicula. I thought he deserved a name.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »
Bunnies are horribly fragile.  The likely cause is internal injuries from the cat.  There was nothing you could have done.  No vet could have saved him.  I'm sorry that you went through that.....I've been there a hundred times myself because I'm a wildlife rehabilitator.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Lesliesewell

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
The wild rabbit will become too stressrd and die easily, it may ny be wheinned and if taken away from its mother quickly and to soon can also lead to death, force feeding/watering will only cause more stress