Author Topic: What food now (for Diver and the kitties)  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
What food now (for Diver and the kitties)
« on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
I feed taste of the wild normally but with this recall I am a bit weary of choosing the right food now.
I have to return both the dog and cat food that I most recently bought, as their production code and sell by date has matched up with the recalls. We are also on the watch for any sick critters (including those of the human variety).

I have to get new food for the creatures, at least until this scare passes.

Diver has grain and chicken allergies and one of the kitties has incredibly aggressive food in tolerances. (not allergies exactly, her tummy just can't handle most foods.. TWOW has been the only food we've tried that she hasn't had issues with-issues being throwing up, weird poos, and itchy skin, but we can't pinpoint what causes it.. she's okay on some grain mixes but they can't be mixed with chicken or fish. She's fine with chicken or fish, as long as it's grain free. Corn can be a problem, but she likes to steal corn cobs and fresh corn from the garbage with no issues. and anything raw comes right back up... she also can't eat wet food, at least any that we've tried.. everything just comes back up)

So I am completely clueless as to what to feed any of them. I have to get them food tomorrow, because as it is they are all missing dinner tonight. What do I feed for now?!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: What food now (for Diver and the kitties)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
I feed the same food and am also going to be purchasing food soon, I currently have a 1 to 2 week supply left. I'm simply going to bookmark the page with recall information on my phone and be very persnickety about which bag I choose by examining the production codes and best by dates. I'll most likely annoy the employees as I flip over and inspect each and every bag I may potentially purchase. Other than that, the other foods in my area that I'd be willing to switch my guys over to are also affected by the recall, so I'm of no help there....

Recall Page I'm Going To Use: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-dog-food-recall-expands-again/
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline shell

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
Have you checked out earthborn? Might be a good alternative.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
That is actually the food that the feed store recommended and Diver LOVES it. At feeding times he is waiting by the bowl, drooling for breakfast or dinner.
I am not sure if it's the greatest food for him, it seems to have a lot of meals in it rather than just plain meat. But it is grain free so it will work for now. (though, with the way he is responding to it, I think I may continue feeding it even after this recall is passed us)

Offline meetimarco

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
While this recall is rather inconvenient for everyone involved, you have to understand that food recalls can happen to any brand of food from all manufacturers. Even as humans, we have to recall our own food occasionally. My dog is on Chicken Soup and it was one of the foods recalled. I have checked my bags and luckily none of them are affected, but I have no plans to switch him to anything else because he does well on this food. Now if all the food you were feeding has been pulled from the shelf, then yeah, I can understand you switching food. But because you switch from this to another one, you aren't in the clear for another recall. My dog was previously on Blue Buffalo and that went through a recall last year and now Chicken Soup has had a recall this year.
...emily @ the Community Gathering

Flickr

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
While this recall is rather inconvenient for everyone involved, you have to understand that food recalls can happen to any brand of food from all manufacturers. Even as humans, we have to recall our own food occasionally. My dog is on Chicken Soup and it was one of the foods recalled. I have checked my bags and luckily none of them are affected, but I have no plans to switch him to anything else because he does well on this food. Now if all the food you were feeding has been pulled from the shelf, then yeah, I can understand you switching food. But because you switch from this to another one, you aren't in the clear for another recall. My dog was previously on Blue Buffalo and that went through a recall last year and now Chicken Soup has had a recall this year.

I do understand this.. and at my retailer (who I love, and will continue to support) has pulled all TOTW off the shelves and I had to switch foods because of this. (both my cat and dog foods). I do understand that I can expect another recall on Earthborn or even another recall on TOTW.  It is rather inconventient though.

Offline tattered_teddy_bear

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
That is actually the food that the feed store recommended and Diver LOVES it. At feeding times he is waiting by the bowl, drooling for breakfast or dinner.
I am not sure if it's the greatest food for him, it seems to have a lot of meals in it rather than just plain meat. But it is grain free so it will work for now. (though, with the way he is responding to it, I think I may continue feeding it even after this recall is passed us)

Generally a recognized meat meal is better then just the meat listed.  This is because it is not 80 percent water.  It means the ingredients after the meats listed are likely what the food is made up of.   I like the California Natural grain free for the dogs and boo. =P