Author Topic: Hedgehogs?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
Hedgehogs?
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I've always been a bit leery about the creatures. Spikes? YUCK! LOL. Or so I thought. My fiance had a hedgehog in the past and was inquiring about potentially getting another. So, we decided to go and play with one to see. The first one really freaked me out since she spiked up right away. The second one, however, was really mellow and didn't spike at all. He crawled all over the place.

So, basically, I am looking for more info/advice from heggie owners. We're waiting to get our house before we get one and I'll definietely get a heggie house set up first.

Any care tips would be appreciated as we are new to the world of heggies. I'm googling care tips as well.

Thanks!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Hedgehogs?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
I just got my hedgie last week after months and months of research (actually probably closer to a year!)
I can give you some basics but feel free to ask any specific questions you have either here or PM :)

There's actually quite a difference in opinion between the US and the UK do you might find some conflicting info.
It's very dangerous for hedgies to climb- they suffer from internal bleeding quite easily, so in the UK a bared a cage is a huge no-no unless the bars are blocked off with Perspex or something, we tend to prefer vivs for them, but in the US people seem to like barred cages.
Another massive thing is hibernation - they should not be allowed to hibernate as they will die, do they have to be kept warm. This is another plus for the viv cage because it's easy to hear, however if you live somewhere that's warm all year you might not require additional heating.
For food, they eat cat biscuits. Their diet must be around 30% protein and 10% fat. It's usually best to have a mix of at least 3 different types of biscuit to provide the correct nutrition and also if a brand gets discontinued they don't have to switch suddenly and potentially starve themselves.
They can't drink from bottles so have to have water bowls.
Also , you should incorporate bugs/insects into their diet, live or dead.
They can be litter trained.
They must have a wheel- they travel about 5 miles s night in the wild do they need a wheel to replicate that.
That's all I can think if right now, but feel free to ask more questions!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:48:16 AM by Maltey »
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
Wow, sorry for the typos- autocorrect!!!

My Blog!

Offline ohhaiimeg

• <3
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:30:54 AM »
first, chins-n-hedgies.com is not where i would go, people there are very rude. try hedgehogcentral.com its 100% better!
hedgies are great pets, super fun, and so cute to watch!

Offline pumpkin_princess

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I just got my hedgie last week after months and months of research (actually probably closer to a year!)
I can give you some basics but feel free to ask any specific questions you have either here or PM :)

There's actually quite a difference in opinion between the US and the UK do you might find some conflicting info.
It's very dangerous for hedgies to climb- they suffer from internal bleeding quite easily, so in the UK a bared a cage is a huge no-no unless the bars are blocked off with Perspex or something, we tend to prefer vivs for them, but in the US people seem to like barred cages.
Another massive thing is hibernation - they should not be allowed to hibernate as they will die, do they have to be kept warm. This is another plus for the viv cage because it's easy to hear, however if you live somewhere that's warm all year you might not require additional heating.
For food, they eat cat biscuits. Their diet must be around 30% protein and 10% fat. It's usually best to have a mix of at least 3 different types of biscuit to provide the correct nutrition and also if a brand gets discontinued they don't have to switch suddenly and potentially starve themselves.
They can't drink from bottles so have to have water bowls.
Also , you should incorporate bugs/insects into their diet, live or dead.
They can be litter trained.
They must have a wheel- they travel about 5 miles s night in the wild do they need a wheel to replicate that.
That's all I can think if right now, but feel free to ask more questions!

They can definately drink out of water bottles, that's all my hedgie ever drank from and that's all the breeder I got him from gave her hedgies.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
They can technically, but they shouldn't. It's an unnatural position for a hedgehog to have to lean upwards like that to reach the bottle, plus they are also a safety issue as it is easy for a little hedgie to get their tongue stuck in the end or the teeth get chipped and they don't keep growing the same as rat teeth so it's more of an issue.
A water bowl is much safer and easier for a hedgehog to drink from.

My Blog!

Offline pumpkin_princess

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
They can technically, but they shouldn't. It's an unnatural position for a hedgehog to have to lean upwards like that to reach the bottle, plus they are also a safety issue as it is easy for a little hedgie to get their tongue stuck in the end or the teeth get chipped and they don't keep growing the same as rat teeth so it's more of an issue.
A water bowl is much safer and easier for a hedgehog to drink from.

Huh, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I will have to remember that if I get a hedgie again someday  :)  It would be really scary if they got their tongue stuck in it  :eek:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."