Author Topic: What is the best rat cage water bottle?  (Read 8072 times)

Offline lotus

What is the best rat cage water bottle?
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
So, with 8 boys I have an assortment of different water bottles up for my boys that I refill daily.. but haven't really been satisfied with any of them. They are currently housed in my Martin's Playpen and Rat Room (I have a small den in my bedroom that we have turned into a ratty play area) until my Ruud arrives (finally shipping Tuesday!  :hyper:). What are YOUR favorite water bottles? I want to purchase 4 nicer ones that will fit my Ruud AND that are easy to take out and in for freshening water. Thanks in advance for your input!  :)
5 boy rats: Pippin, Mimzy, Nimbus, Wren, Pancake
4 girl rats: Sprout, Poppy, Jasmine, Cookie
1 foster rat: Charlie

RIP: Sparrow, Fritz, Linus, Roux, Scarlett, Pocket, Topaz, Igby, Biscuit, Tribble, Barnaby

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
Re: What is the best rat cage water bottle?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
I always really loved my Superpet glass one, but then a couple of them started leaking so I switched to this living world bottle
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/hamster_cages/219338

but the biggest one, and even though it's basically the same design I like it so much more. There's a lip over the spout so definitely no leakages :thumbsup2:
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline lotus

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Thanks!

RIP: Sparrow, Fritz, Linus, Roux, Scarlett, Pocket, Topaz, Igby, Biscuit, Tribble, Barnaby

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Since you change the water daily, would you be interested in top-fill bottles? And are those any good? They seem so convenient... And this might be a silly question, but are there any quieter bottles? One of my girls seems to insist on making the. Ball clang around and its rather loud when im trying to sleep. The others, thankfully, have mastered the art of drinking quietly. XP

Offline Trihkal

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
I've always wondered about those top fill ones. I like to clean my water bottles daily so I usually rotate them so one can be clean and in use and one can be in the dish washer. Is it not necessary to clean them every day?
The Ratties I Have Known And Loved

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
I love my glass Superpet bottle so much I bought a second to replace my top-fill. Honestly, the top-fill is not as convenient as it's made out to be. You can't set the bottle down off of the holder, otherwise all the water spills out (so if you filled the bottle and then want to move the hanger, you have to empty it, set it down, move your hanger, fill it again, and then put it in the cage). Also, I had the plastic Superpet one (like this) and when it was time to clean it, I found that I couldn't properly clean it out. I was able to reach one of the interior ridges with a q-tip, but there's no way to reach the other ridges, and running it through the dishwasher didn't solve the probelm. The glass is easy to clean. I don't know if a bottle brush would help, but I just got too frustrated with being unable to set it down when needed that I replaced it. The rats would drink from the glass bottle more than the plastic one, anyway, so I figured I'd stick with what they like.

I was given a top-fill bottle of a different brand with a cage I got off of Craigslist recently. It has ridges on the outside but I can't remember the brand. I haven't had the chance to sanitize it to my satisfaction yet (it was clearly stored outside for a long while), so I haven't tried it out, but it would still be hard or impossible to set down off of the hanger.

Offline thejamiemarie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:18:37 AM »
I think I am in the minority here, but I have always had bad experiences with glass water bottles. Terrible luck I guess. I have yet to find a bottle I really love.
Mama to...
2 cats: Ophelia and Ichabod
1 dog: a Husky pup Denali
1 corn snake: Persephone

R.I.P
Ruby <3
Lilith <3
Scarlet<3
Grace<3
Peanut<3
May<3
Chai<3

I am currently ratless =(

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:31:13 AM »
I love my glass Superpet bottle so much I bought a second to replace my top-fill. Honestly, the top-fill is not as convenient as it's made out to be. You can't set the bottle down off of the holder, otherwise all the water spills out (so if you filled the bottle and then want to move the hanger, you have to empty it, set it down, move your hanger, fill it again, and then put it in the cage). Also, I had the plastic Superpet one (like this) and when it was time to clean it, I found that I couldn't properly clean it out. I was able to reach one of the interior ridges with a q-tip, but there's no way to reach the other ridges, and running it through the dishwasher didn't solve the probelm. The glass is easy to clean. I don't know if a bottle brush would help, but I just got too frustrated with being unable to set it down when needed that I replaced it. The rats would drink from the glass bottle more than the plastic one, anyway, so I figured I'd stick with what they like.

I was given a top-fill bottle of a different brand with a cage I got off of Craigslist recently. It has ridges on the outside but I can't remember the brand. I haven't had the chance to sanitize it to my satisfaction yet (it was clearly stored outside for a long while), so I haven't tried it out, but it would still be hard or impossible to set down off of the hanger.

I'd second this - those top fill plastic ones are very hard to clean, (bottle brush can't get in a the groves inside), and like Ghostmouse said, you can't set them down. Doesn't sound bad, but it's a real pain.

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
I will second (or third?!) the Superpet Glass bottles. I have never had any issues with them leaking and the only BPA that can leak out will be in the cap. I also hate drinking from plastic as I find it gives water a funny taste so I don't particularly like making my animals drinking from a plastic container either. They are also really easy to clean and its quick and simple to change the washer if needed.

Offline lotus

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
Awesome.. Thanks guys! I will be picking up some new water bottles today. On the subject of the top-fills... I HATE them! I bought one for "convenience" but they would either leak or the lid never closed well and the water would be GONE by the end of the day?! They seemed pretty cool in theory, but not so much once they were in use. I actually tossed that one out.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
I love my glass lixit water bottles I got them off Drs Foster and Smith website they are listed as eco water bottle. The rock, they are easy to clean and unlike the superpet ones I had they work wonderful and you don't have squeeze them through the bars on a CN. I found that even the small superpet one bent the bars a little bit. The only thing I don't like about the lixit ones is that they are held on by this spring looking clip thing and sometimes they fall but they are sturdy enough that they haven't broke lol

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »
I also like the glass Superpet bottle.  The one linked to in the OP looks good, but I don't think I could cope with a carrot water-level indicator.  I would miss the yellow ducky . . .   :yelcutelaugh:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
Lol you have no idea how long I was in the shop holding the carrot and the duck like I want the lip on the nozzle but I want the duck!!!!
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
If you find your glass SuperPet bottle is not dispensing water immediately, don't give up!  It's a common problem, especially with the smaller ones.  When I get a new one, I always leave the old in the cage for a few days and just give it a good shake everytime I walk by.