Author Topic: Kittens?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Kittens?
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:00:23 PM »
Miss M has shown up from an afternoon jaunt with kittens in tow. They aren't hers. She's spayed. Has shown no signs of calling since that immediate post-spay reaction. No signs of pregnancy. No signs of nursing. So it wasn't botched. I'm just trying to figure out what the heckity to do with them. They seem pretty young, barely toddling. They need their mother and her milk. I can supplement with handfeeding and get them altered at the appropriate time, but I'm not looking to expand the kitty family, and now I'm concerned I may have a nest raider on my hands. Miss M may quickly find that her days of being allowed out are over.

*Side note: Adoption is not a likely option. We do not live in an area with a high adoption rate, and frankly I worry that those who would show interest would not be suitable candidates, and that someone could easily fall through my screening process.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Kittens?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
They're at the vet.  Both have BB injuries and nasty infections.  The little tuxedo girl has a bad back leg, and the little grey boy has a bad eye.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »
Maybe it was a good thing she found them then. I had a female like this too, which is a god sent when you raise cats. She was like a little mid wife kitty. She'd help deliver kittens, then steal them from the mother to clean them while the mother had another. She'd babysit, heck she would even produce milk if the mother didn't produce enough. Or she'd produce if we found strays outside and gave them to her. I even once or twice caught her dragging mothers by the scruff of the neck back to their kids when they were yelling for mom, these mommas being twice her size.

Maybe the babies wandered off or worse mother was killed and she came across. Some animals just have a very strong mothering instinct even after being fixed and even for those that aren't theirs. Just hopefully she doesn't decide to mother kittens to a very cranky cat one day and get into a fight.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
What's a BB injury?

I don't have any advice for the kittens, but I think it is actually really cute that your cat went and found them.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
They're at the vet.  Both have BB injuries and nasty infections.  The little tuxedo girl has a bad back leg, and the little grey boy has a bad eye.

Um, the computer system seems to have a bad brain fart.  SORRY if this shows up in two versions.  Oops!  (My internet provider is...not super!)

I was just saying that made me very mad, even that though being somehow strangely attracted to my pellet guns (first one was the "one my parents would never buy me"...big hippy artists!  ;D)  First one was my 30th b-day present to myself.  And, yet...the only sort of living thing I ever shot were a few pumpkins.

I had a brief and uneventful "testosterone" moment.

The maddest I ever got at my VERY insane kittens many, many years ago (sleeping was NOT an option...with three jobs) was not doing the "preferred" way of squirt gun/bottle of "YOU HAVE TO STOP DOING THAT ALL NIGHT" thing.  They are supposed to think it more or less comes from G-d and you can't hint that it came from you!

Take care. 

Um, only other thing is that, say, a couple of our rescues (actually more) often take in kitties from nearby states.  We are very far apart, but possibly one will.  I trust you already know that.

(I'm in the upper Midwest, and a friend has fostered kitties and she's had cats from more than a state or two away in the past...not hers, but some at the rescue have even come from Egypt.)

All of my last exhaustive blessings to you and your family...even the teeny ones!

Yay!

- Raaz.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
What's a BB injury?

I don't have any advice for the kittens, but I think it is actually really cute that your cat went and found them.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

BB gun. It's likea  pellet gun, just with little round balls for ammo. It's really common around here for people to shoot at cats. :/ I even have a rabbit here that was the victim of a similar attack.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
Yeah, it makes me think there mother was or is feral.  The only other option is that she's a house cat with a @@#$% for an owner that couldn't care less about her babies.  Around here people are very respectful of that's so and so's cat, but an unclaimed cat is in big trouble.  And BB injury is exactly what Rattiesix said, it seems like BB guns are some sort of right of passage for boys around here and it ticks me off.  If I catch the little punk(s), I'm filing a report.  My mother has had to replace her window twice because of BB's and I've had to call the cops because of birds that were dying slowly in my yard after being shot down.  Now the kittens, it's war.  Not to mention BB's don't discriminate, I highly doubt my mom's windows were targeted.  And if some kid misses his target and hits one of my dogs - just no.

*It's not the BB guns themselves that tick me off.  It's the irresponsibility with which they are used.  1. They are illegal to shoot within city limits.  2. Even if they weren't, kids need to know that they are shooting an actual projectile and that it should not be fired in a residential area.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »
Neither one made it.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
I'm so sorry...

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
I'm sorry.  *hugs*

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:11 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:20 AM »
I'm not happy about it, but I am happy that, they went full, warm, and without pain.  Now I'm just on the watch for the kids responsible.

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »
I tell you kids with BB guns make me so darn mad I could scream.  Let's start with most of them get them too young,  for some reason parents like to buy there young boys BB guns without doing any of the proper training.  They can be just as damaging as any pistol or shotgun.  What is wrong with parents that buy their kids these BB guns but don't teach them proper gun handling.  They act like since it is a BB gun it is not dangerous.  Sorry for my mini rant but my grandma had a dog with a permanent limp from a BB shot and my husbands camper shell window was shot out from one a couple of years ago.