Author Topic: Wanting a ferret but have ?'s  (Read 1950 times)

Offline YorkieLove

Wanting a ferret but have ?'s
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:46:33 PM »
So I have wanted a couple of ferrets for quite some time but i have a few questions first.  I am still in the very early stages and would need to do a lot more research before ever getting one but just need to know if i should continue my research or just hang it up.  My first worry is my other pets.  How do ferrets do with cats, dogs, and rats?  Can they get along ok or should I not even consider adding ferrets to the mix?  Second I have an empty double critter nation would this be an appropriate cage?  This would be used mainly for sleeping and napping if need be but I would want my ferrets to be pretty much free roaming.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Charlotte

Offline ashleymd

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moving Along In Life
Re: Wanting a ferret but have ?'s
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
So I have wanted a couple of ferrets for quite some time but i have a few questions first.  I am still in the very early stages and would need to do a lot more research before ever getting one but just need to know if i should continue my research or just hang it up.  My first worry is my other pets.  How do ferrets do with cats, dogs, and rats?  Can they get along ok or should I not even consider adding ferrets to the mix?  Second I have an empty double critter nation would this be an appropriate cage?  This would be used mainly for sleeping and napping if need be but I would want my ferrets to be pretty much free roaming.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Charlotte

As far as them getting along with everybody else in your crew.  I'm sure everybody will agree.... there is zero reason for the ferrets to interact directly with any of the rest of your crew.  Ferrets are pretty easy going and carefree (at least all the ones I've met).  They should be fine with the other animals co-existing in the home.  The question really is, how would your cat and dog handle a new critter.  The rats and ferrets should be kept in different areas of the house due to predator/prey instincts. 

I lucked out with my two ferrets.... they don't care about anything.  I have a full food chain in my house from fish, rodents, cats, and dogs.  Everybody seems to know their place. My ferrets do curl up with my dogs on the couch during mama snuggle time on the couch. 

If you are planning on allowing free-range..... you should really get down to their level and see what they see.  They get into everything!!!   If you think you have ferret-proofed their area.... think again. I have lost many of objects.... to include my car keys.  They are easy to care for after the initial set-up.  They are great pets though.  Just (like you said) be sure to do your research first.
Mommy to: Bear, Mia, CoCoa-Mo, Nala, Jasper + some fishies.

Blackie, Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge know you've always been my number one man. 

To all my other fur babies - I love each of you, they don't give me enough space to name you all.

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:17:20 PM »
I have one ferret that I found wandering loose in my neighborhood. Like ashleymd said, she is into everything! And she is not even operating at 100%, she has insulinoma disease and I have to monitor her blood glucose; even with that she's always into things.

I have 2 cats, and she thinks it is fun to try and chase them but they run away. My dog is super old with no teeth, but I still don't trust them together as the dog is too interested in the ferret and tries to pick her up. My rabbit HATES the ferret (rabbits are prey to ferrets) so I have to be extremely diligent to keep the ferret on the other side of the house as to now freak out the rabbit.

It's a lot, I won't lie. I'm lucky, I take my ferret to work with me where she runs around the office and works out her energy. I won't always be able to do that forever but for now, it works.

That said, I am insanely in love with this ferret. I never set out for one, she stumbled into my life.

Do you research and see how it will fit into your life, but I would rethink the free roaming thing.

Here's me & Louisa!:
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline ashleymd

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moving Along In Life
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »
You could always look around for a local ferret rescue and see if they will allow you to foster.  That will give you a chance to experience ferret life and see if it is for you.  Just explain to the rescue what your intents are with it.  You never know.
Mommy to: Bear, Mia, CoCoa-Mo, Nala, Jasper + some fishies.

Blackie, Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge know you've always been my number one man. 

To all my other fur babies - I love each of you, they don't give me enough space to name you all.

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
You could always look around for a local ferret rescue and see if they will allow you to foster.  That will give you a chance to experience ferret life and see if it is for you.  Just explain to the rescue what your intents are with it.  You never know.

Great idea I didn't even think of that.  We have a local ferret rescue that is always asking for foster homes.  Thank you for the great idea!!  ;D