Author Topic: Rat? Mouse? Found Outside  (Read 7644 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat? Mouse? Found Outside
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:48 AM »
Well they're definitely not wild! Or they'd all be agouti marked. So your little girl couldn't possibly have been outside for long. Yay for a small litter!

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »
Nope, no wild ones here - I've got a little PEW pile. lol It had been about 14 days from the day she was found outside to her new arrivals, so she was well along already. Wish she should talk, I'd love to hear her story.

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:03 AM »
Aww, such cuties.
Congrats on the new additions, and good luck with the boys.
I personally ended up saving a mouse from a group that had a huge gaping hole in his back from being kept with other males. He was getting older and couldn't defend himself anymore I guess. It was unbelievably infected and gross.
No way males should be together after separation date.
At least you don't have halfies
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
Nope, no wild ones here - I've got a little PEW pile. lol It had been about 14 days from the day she was found outside to her new arrivals, so she was well along already. Wish she should talk, I'd love to hear her story.

The all PEWs make me wonder if there isn't someone breeding feeders nearby who happened to have an escapee.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
Aww, such cuties.
Congrats on the new additions, and good luck with the boys.
I personally ended up saving a mouse from a group that had a huge gaping hole in his back from being kept with other males. He was getting older and couldn't defend himself anymore I guess. It was unbelievably infected and gross.
No way males should be together after separation date.
At least you don't have halfies

Yep, got that message loud and clear. I'm not sure exactly what I have yet, but I'll figure it out and have whatever boys in separate spaces.

I was really expecting halfies, but got PEWs instead - fine by me. :)

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
The all PEWs make me wonder if there isn't someone breeding feeders nearby who happened to have an escapee.

I wondered the same thing, or maybe someone who couldn't tell the difference and thought they had two of the same sex. Or maybe dumped when the people next door moved out... who knows?

Whoever had her, she's very friendly and socialized, and I'm glad about that.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:10 PM »

I wondered the same thing, or maybe someone who couldn't tell the difference and thought they had two of the same sex. Or maybe dumped when the people next door moved out... who knows?

Whoever had her, she's very friendly and socialized, and I'm glad about that.

That definitely makes me think feeder. A large amount of feeder mice end up extremely friendly. Because it wouldn't do to have feeders who attack snakes or handlers when they go to clean cages. But it's definitely a good thing you got domestics and not half wildies! They'll be much more easy to handle.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
The only thing that doesn't scream "escaped feeder" to me is the fact that is was a fairly small litter. Usually breeder animals have really big ones.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
Could it be her first, maybe? I've read here and there that first litters can be smaller.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
That's possible! Does she seem young?

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
The short answer - I don't know. lol I've never had a mouse before. I really think she's a full grown adult, though.

Also, she had this litter while I was away from home overnight. She could have had a larger litter, with some who didn't make it. Considering the stress she went through during her pregnancy, it's a possibility.

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
Next question in the mouse saga - when to separate? I had read 4 weeks - we are at 27 days right now and I have a few days off next week over the 4th, so planned to do it then, say at  day 32 or 33.

Thing is, the little boys are looking - er -  interested. Very interested. I. do. not. want. more. mice. Okay to separate this weekend? All are on solid food very well, romping and playing and building tunnels. Even Runtley is catching up. :)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
If the boys are getting rowdy I think it would probably be best to err on the side of caution and separate early. Some mice turn into way too many mice sooo quickly...

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »
I'm thinking you're right. This weekend it is.