Author Topic: The cats who rule our lives :P  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "A house is not a home without a pet."
The cats who rule our lives :P
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:43:53 AM »
Our four current resident kitties completely rule our lives. Despite 5 dogs and several other smaller pets who share our home with us, the kitties are the ones who make their presence known the most.

Our first two kitties are a pair of sisters named Bella and Snowy. I thought I was a sucker with regards to animals, but then I met my husband and he is a TOTAL SUCKER! Lol! About a year before we met he was taking his mom to the flea market and there was a booth giving out free kittens. They had two little female kittens left and the poor things had so much discharge built up in their eyes that they were sealed shut. They also had a lot of wheezing going on and sounded extremely congested. My husband, the sucker that he is, decided to take them both. He proceeded to nurse them back to health and those two became his babies. I never had seen a kitty-human bond quite like theirs. The cats that I grew up with came to us when they wanted and tolerated some lovin, but these girls were smitten with him. To this day, whether he is taking a nap or going to bed for the night, Bella has to be on his stomach when he sleeps. Its pretty adorable :)

Bella and Snowy

Bella

Josh giving Snowy a smooch

Then we moved into our current home and within the first week of moving in we discovered (actually the dogs did) two small kittens in the woods behind their house. They were around 5 weeks old and had some bad scabbing on their back legs and back, along with being infested with fleas. I insisted with Josh that we would keep them until they were well, get them their shots, and rehome them. Yeah.... one year later Ben and Jerry are the weirdest cats I have ever lived with. Their personalities are much much more like dogs. I have never had cats that beg for human food. These guys will steal chips, lettuce, pretty much any food that you are trying to eat. They also greet people at the door along with the dogs, something I have never had a cat do before. The weirdest thing I think they did was try to nurse on the dogs. IM SERIOUS HERE! LOL When they were young they would creep up on our two lab/bulldog mixes (70+ pounds) and suckle on them. I have seen kittens nurse on blankets, or try to nurse on other cats but dogs, and big dogs at that? That was a new one!

One of the boys on Copper

One of the boys on Franklin

Their normal sleeping spot

Ben and Jerry, all grown up

Cuddling Brothers

Jerry making sure Josh is clean

And some random pics of everyone :)

Playing on their tower

Ben

Getting some rattie kisses!

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
Re: The cats who rule our lives :P
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:03:21 AM »
So you would think that "Man with four very demanding cats it would be crazy to adopt a fifth!?" and that is exactly what I thought and decided on..... until I fell in love....

Last month my dad's best friend had a family emergency and he and his family had to rush out of town. They asked my dad if he would watch their kitties for them, and then my dad passed the responsibility on to me because "I lived closer"  ::). I was happy to help though, and I thought it would be easy to take care of their kitties. I actually was unaware they had a cat, and when I asked my dad where they came from my dad explained to me that the orginal cat they took in had been running around their neighborhood for about a week and sleeping and staying on their porch so they posted ads and attemped to look for an owner and after another week with no word and the cat making their backyard her permanent home they decided to take her in. Then I found out that the "s" in kitties came when she delivered a litter of kittens, much to the surprise of the new owners.

So my first day of baby sitting consisted of ooing and awwing at all the babies! I never had seen baby kittens in person, the youngest ive seen was my two five week old boys. These kittens still had their eyes closed. I spent about two weeks with them, got to experience their eyes opening, I gave them a bath due to fleas, and watched their personalities blossom. Ive always wanted a calico, and there were two in the litter. I started talking to Josh and he gave in easy :P but as I spend more time with them I realized one of the other kittens were starting to capture my heart. "She" is a tortie, and a total character already. I've read that Calicos and Torties are almost always girls so we have a tentative named picked out already, Zeeva. If she turns out to be a he we will decided on a new name.

These pictures are a couple weeks old, I haven't gotten to go visit in over a week so im having withdrawls! LOL

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
I don't even have any words... it's just too.much.cute.

And that tower is amazing!
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
So cute!

Ben and Jerry look a bit like they could be at least part Bengal, which might explain the dog-like attitude.

And that picture of the one nursing on Franklin, with big ol' balls right on display just made me bust out laughing! 

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
Yes, all too cute and handsome.  And Zeeva's a girl...being Tortie and all!  That little mug is just too much!   ;D

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »

And that picture of the one nursing on Franklin, with big ol' balls right on display just made me bust out laughing!

LOL! Thankfully no one has balls anymore. Franklins always creeped me out, they were just too pink....

I will have to look up Bengals, ive never heard of them. And here I thought they were just nuts :P

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
Your cats are lovely.  ;D
I'm sure it's just because I don't know them, but I don't think I could tell the sisters or the brothers apart on sight. You wound up with two sets of twins!

And the new kitten is super precious, I love how it is squalling it's head off.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Your cats are lovely.  ;D
I'm sure it's just because I don't know them, but I don't think I could tell the sisters or the brothers apart on sight. You wound up with two sets of twins!

Yes everyone thinks its quite odd that we ended up with two pairs of same-sex twin siblings :P We have collars on one of each of them for other people to easily identify them, but of course I can tell them apart... most of the time...  LOL For the two girls, Snowy (wears the collar) is much bigger than her sister and she is much more vocal. For the two boys, Jerry is bigger (and wears a collar) and although they are both bob-tailed, his tail is kinked at the top ;)

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »
Kiss a Kitty !  cute.

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:22 AM »
Well Zeeva came home about 3 weeks ago, and what an interesting three weeks it has been!  :rattysmiley: Her first day consisted of her hissing and swatting at all the other cats and dogs, and by her second day she was wrestling with Ben and Jerry, she figured out how to climb the baby gate to get out of the "kitty" room, and she managed to shred an entire roll of toilet paper! LOL! She is quite the character. Ben and Jerry wanted to play instantly, Bella and Snowy took about a week to warm up to her, but now everyone is a cohesive group.

Her first 2-3 days home she hardly ever left the back of the couch

Then she figured Jerry was a good chew toy

One of the funniest things, to me at least, is that Ben and Jerry are both getting payback for what they did to our dogs when they were kittens. Zeeva now seeks either of them out when they are sleeping then she starts "nursing" on them, complete with suckling noises!! LOL They don't seem to mind though :P
"Nursing" on Ben

She was desperate to "nurse" on Jerry haha

And some sleepy, cuddling pictures  :heart:

Bonus video of Zeeva and Ben playing on the couch :D
http://youtu.be/mkKujXWV7Cw

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
Man you take excellent pictures! Adorable video by the way, I absolutely love how he was just taking Zeeva chewing on him.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
Upside down kitty!   

Offline Sidders

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:01 PM »
Not fair. I really wish my cats got along as well as yours. So cute! :heart:

Also, is Zeeva a polydactyl? I think I'm counting five toes! :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
I have a friend that has two siamese mixes that look almost exactly like Bella and Snowy.

And those stripes on Ben and Jerry are TRULY amazing...Yeah, I'm gonna go look up the Bengal thingie, again, but I'd put a bet on it!

Zeeva is sure turning into quite the gorgeous girl.  (My torti girlly was the one who I had to cut leg holes in a box to put my feet in at night as she would spend ALL night chewing on them like she was on Ben in the video!  Don't worry, it didn't last too long!)

I will admit, though, I'm sure you've got quite the household of quirky cats as all those species are known for their, um, interesting personalities and antics!  Yay!  - Raaz.

Modify:  Yeah, the one is more striped than spotted, but I could well imagine in a mix that that could be the case (just a guess).  Some REALLY have leopard spots that are impressive!  Still, yours are extraordinary!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:07:13 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Lauren_22

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »

Also, is Zeeva a polydactyl? I think I'm counting five toes! :BlueDumboSmile:

Nope! I had to double check after I read this because I wasn't sure haha

More pictures  ;)

Jerry and Ben staring..

Zeeva still nursing on Ben haha

She seems displeased that Huck felt the need to give her a bath

Had a heart attack when I first saw her sleep like this!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
Too cute!

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:15 PM »
She has one fat little tummy!  :heart:

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 05:32:06 AM »
Completely massive "thud" value!  OH DEAR!

Just BTW, I looked around more and those sure are Bengals.  No doubt.

Say, would Zeeva technically be called a "regular" calico or a "regular" tortie?  I would guess tortie.  She's just not as marbled as mine was.

Keep the pics and stories coming!  Yay!

- Raaz.