Author Topic: *URGENT kitty situation in Colorado Springs*  (Read 4172 times)

Offline missamy

*URGENT kitty situation in Colorado Springs*
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
I really hope it's okay that I post this here! I know not many people frequent the cat section and I desperately need this to be seen.  Here's the situation:

Woody and Boo Boo are two 2 year old brother cats who were adopted from the Animal Rescue Force of S. FL. in December 2011.  They had already been adopted once and abused, then returned, then had to be rehabbed before being put back up for adoption. Not only that, they had already spent their whole lives in the program, in cages and being passed from foster home to foster home. They've never had a real, loving home.  Their adopters moved from South Florida to Colorado and the boys have ended up at a shelter in Colorado Springs.  At first it was only one of them, but the other brother ended up there today too.  The adopters' phone numbers are disconnected and have not responded to emails thus far, so we believe that they dumped them.
I now live in WV. The rescue group is in Palm Beach County, FL.  I am willing and able to drive out to Colorado to pick them up, but the urgency is getting them out of the shelter to make sure that they are safe and don't get euthanized.  Colorado Springs, I believe, is about 20 hours from me.  We have someone with a cousin who *may* be able to get them out of the shelter and place them in boarding until I get out there to get them, but so far we have not gotten a yes or no out of them.

I am looking for a back up plan in case they fall through.  Is there anyone out there near Colorado Springs who would be willing to get these 2 boys out of the shelter for us?   We would either need you to hold on to them for a few days if you are able, or take them to boarding. We would call boarding places and see if we can pay for it over the phone with a credit card. 
I would love to be able to get a train going to get them even closer to me than Colorado, but I'm 100% ready and willing to go all the way out to Colorado if need be to get these boys back.  They have been failed by too many humans, too many times. If anyone can help or has any suggestions, please let me know. The most important thing right now is to get them out of the shelter so that they are safe.
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale

Offline missamy

Re: *URGENT kitty situation in Colorado Springs*
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
This is them:

Boo Boo

Woody

:BlueDumboBigEyes:  :BlueDumboBigEyes:  :BlueDumboBigEyes:  :BlueDumboBigEyes:  :BlueDumboBigEyes:
I am only one, but I am still one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  - Edward Everett Hale

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
If my little car could make it, you bet.  They are so handsome.   I hope someone can help.  I wish people were better to their critter friends.  Best of luck and my  :heart: goes out to you all, felines included.

- Raaz.

Offline missamy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
Update.. I contacted tons of rescues in Colorado and I'm now in contact with one who is going to the shelter to see what needs to be done to pull the boys. If they get them out, they are willing to foster until I can get out there to pick them up.   :BlueDumboSmile:

Dying to hear back from them with an update!!

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
I would totally help if I were closer. They're ADORABLE. Have you tried asking to see if anyone can put them on a plane to you? I know that's worked in the past with a similar rescue situation here in Texas.

Sending good vibes your way!

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Bless you for helping these hansome men!! I hope they get a forever home that will love and cherish them like they deserve.
Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline AnnieB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
They are SO cute!  We fostered a pair of kitties for the local cat rescue.  I thought they would be a 'failed' rescue and live here with us.. but both of them got adopted into a very good and loving home here...  The cat rescue still gets email updates with pics of them :) 

Something about brown tabby and white bicolours just slays me.  They're so cheeky and funny and adorable.  Just want to HUG them both!

Thanks for helping these 2 boys out!!   :heart:

Offline missamy

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
We got everything worked out with the shelter that they are in, and they're going to release them on Wednesday to a rescue that I found in Colorado who is willing to help us out!  A lady with the rescue is going to keep them at her house until I get out there to pick them up.   :BlueDumboSmile:  So now I'm making the plans to take the trip to get them.  I'll probably go towards the end of next week.  Woohoo!

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
That's wonderful news! I'm so glad those boys have you!
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »
Hooray!
Owned by three kittehs (Raja, Adrian and Audrina), and two pups (Sunny and John). Currently on a break from ratties.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
I don't know how I missed your post in the other thread- I'm actually about 8hrs from CO Springs, but it sounds like you are getting them busted out anyways. Yay!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline missamy

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
The boys are officially safe!!  The lady from Happy Cats Haven in Colorado Springs pulled them from the shelter today.   :BlueDumboSmile:  :rattysmiley:  :BlueDumboSmile:  We're working on figuring out transport, but I should have them with me within the next few weeks.  And I *think* (and hope and pray) that they already have a home with one of our former volunteers.  They'll be with me for a few months before I head back down to Florida for a visit and take them down to the rescue or hopefully their new home.  Fingers crossed that we find someone we know to keep them.  I don't want them to end up back in various foster homes and adoption center spots.  I wish I could keep them myself  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

But YAY for them being safe!  Thank for all the well wishes, everyone!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
Hooray!  I'm glad.

I'm going to pop this over to the cat section now, and we'd love continued updates!  :)

Offline missamy

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
National Mill Dog Rescue is taking a trip from Colorado Springs to Waynesville, MO on Tuesday and they've offered to bring Woody and Boo Boo!  This cuts the trip in half for me, so I'm so grateful!  I'll be leaving for Missouri tomorrow evening or early Tuesday morning.  Yay!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
That is great!  :)

Offline missamy

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
The kitties are officially super safe and home with me!!  We got home late Wednesday night.  They both remembered me and were happy to see me when I got them on Tuesday.  They did well on the 14 hour trip home and are now settling in nicely.   :icon_cat:

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
Thats such good news.
Sigh of relief for you, that was a bad situation and you're a great person for remedying it.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
I got to this thread late, but goodness.  Updates!  Such charming fellows!  Yay!

- Raaz.

Offline missamy

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
It's been a while, but these boys are FINALLY getting adopted tomorrow morning!!  In hopes of finding them a home before sending them back to FL where they'd be put back in adoption center cages, I made them a website and started networking them on Facebook.  I got zero response in the first month or two, but gave it one final pusha few weeks ago and then started making plans to get them to Florida.  A few days later I got an email from a lovely woman looking to adopt!  She lives an hour and a half away from me on an 80 acre farm and is super excited to meet them.  She sounds PERFECT for them, so I'm very hopeful that everything works out!   :icon_cat:

Offline coeurfragile

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Woo! Thats awesome!!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
I hope it works out!!