Author Topic: A Bittersweet Rescue Story – Baby Junebug  (Read 9238 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
A Bittersweet Rescue Story – Baby Junebug
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »

Ad - Hey so my rats had babies just over a month ago, I've already sold most of them but there's one little girl who needs a home. She has what looks like a tumor on her side and I don't know how long she'll last but she needs a loving, caring home for whatever little time she may have left. I already have 3 rats so I can't give her the attention she needs to look after her. Completely free, I just want her to find a loving home and not be used for snake or any other animal food

She's a hooded rat with a large black spot on her back, loves hiding in sleeves and very sweet and docile.

The first problem is that she’s in a city about 5 hours from me with no real way to get her to me in Toronto.  But luckily last weekend we had a transport coming from Montreal to Oshawa and we had located people to pick up the baby, foster the baby and then drive out to meet the Transport on the major highway so she could go on the Train to me.  Well that failed when the owner didn’t respond.

The next weekend, there was another ad up for a different rat…

RAT for FREE! ( Take at own risk please )

Hi there if you are reading this i would like to give my rat away (Derp)
because she had attacked my mom & i can no longer handle this rat.
She is really aggressive & i don't think anyone would be able to take care of her unless she is used as a feeder. I dont want to do this but i really have no choice, if i had sold her to a family with children she will bite.
If you think you can maybe tame her then by all means please contact me if not take her as a feeder if you are willing to use or take her at risk please TEXT me. Thanks!
She is black & white if you would like a picture once again please contact me thanks!

Now what happy home would take this girl in with this type of ad??  I knew her fate and said I would take her in if we could sort out another transport.  So Holly in the maritimes took it apon herself to contact a rideshare who agreed to bring the rat with him.  Ratmando went and picked her up on Wednesday night…the “vicious rat” was a tiny baby…cute, scared and obviously not a Biter. :P  Her original name was Derp, but my foster renamed her May. :D

The next day the sick baby owner emailed saying she had found a home that would take baby to the vet.  We all were trying to figure out which of the Ottawa people was taking her in, found out, and then they as I already had a transport coming asked if she could come to me as well.  Of course!
So my foster Anita rushed out again and got the lumpy baby.  She called her June, and I decided she looked just like a Junebug :D  She was “off” behaviorally, lumpy, had a damaged/injured eye and had some really scary moments where we thought we would lose her.  May and she met and it was Love. :D  Two scared babies had a friend, and May became more outgoing and June had someone to cuddle with again.  :D

The transport went off with a little hitch.  I had to meet them at the far end of the city, in front of a cinema at a mall…I thought I could stand inside but I couldn’t so I had to stand in the rain…for 40 mins, peering at grey vans and license plates while water dripped down my forehead and down the back of my neck LOL.  The guy was late but I finally got my baby girls at about 11 pm and then started the long trek home on public transit. 

When I got home I realized the lumps really did seem like tumours and she really was off in her mannerisms and even how she looked, a domed/rounded head, a wobbliness, etc.

We went to bed and the next day I got some pics.  Later on I even introduced them to a young rescue litter I have here and their mom…it went great!

Meet May and June…

May is gorgeous and figuring out quickly with big bright eyes that her life has changed for the good :D

Here you can see the big lump on her side :(   Imagine it completely round as for how deep it goes into her body.  She will be seeing my vet for a drop-off appointment on Monday.  I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best.  My gut is telling me these are inoperable and that I won’t be able to do much for this sweet sweet baby girl.  So expect a lot of pics of her and her friends because I don’t know how long she will be with us.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Here you see a 2nd lump on her chest, with a slice above it.  You can move the skin around and see the rounded red tumour underneath, it almost looks like a ruptured tumour.  It’s very bizarre.   :-\

She has issues eating, so I am watching that, although I did catch her eating lab blocks last night (WOOT!), she has funny little mannerisms that remind me of neuro issues, her lungs sound good, there’s no smell of infection (I think the eye is a newer injury) but she’s sooo happy, and she bobbles along exploring, and then her nose goes in the air at all the new smells 

and after all that excitement she has to have a nap…she really sleeps hard, and I keep checking her breathing LOL

Sleeping with May keeping watch over her

Stretch

Out cold again…

Offline Maltey

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm gonna kiss that rat, that's what I'm gonna do
    • The Relaxed Rat
Re: A Bittersweet Rescue Story – Baby Junebug
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
Aww what little sweeties.
Here's hoping her appt goes well and she has a long, happy life ahead of her :heart:
♥Courtney and the ever-growing mischief♥

My Blog!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »
So today I set up the R-695 and tossed them all in...I was worried Junebug wouldn't be able to handle all the climbing etc, but wow she was EVERYWHERE!   :hyper:

My room is too narrow for me to get a full pic so I have to move back as far as I can to get most of the cage in the picture...that is June on the bottom ramp :)

Offline Lea

• Pardon me, do you have any graymatter poupon?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Aw, poor little Junebug, best wishes to her.   :heart:
So May isn't aggressive after all? What a pretty girl she is.  Glad they made friends. 

Offline Kwissie5

• "Live, Laugh, Love"
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »
I will say alittle prayer  :heart: (((HUGS)))
Kristie ~ Mom to Zack, Emilee, Ben, Mady and Chloe (My 2 legged kids), Missy, Mae, Maizy, Walter, Leonard, Flossie, Kate, Simon and Ziggy, Cammie and Olive (Ratties) <3

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
I will say alittle prayer  :heart: (((HUGS)))

Absolutely not.  She's a doll, a bit nervous but she's never even offered to nip.  The home she was from was very loud, grandma smoked beside the hamster cage she was in, a dog was always barking, etc...probably too much for a scared, lonely baby girl, and I bet they got nipped.  She hasn't even put her teeth on me at all. :D

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
June looks like she has hydrocephalus. Sorry if you mentioned that already, I just didn't see it! I know that Siana's hydro baby (Moses) made it a very long time, and she's also dealt with others. She's absolutely adorable and I can't imagine how that little baby May attacked anyone.  :yelcutelaugh: Hoping for a good outcome on the tumours.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
June looks like she has hydrocephalus. Sorry if you mentioned that already, I just didn't see it! I know that Siana's hydro baby (Moses) made it a very long time, and she's also dealt with others. She's absolutely adorable and I can't imagine how that little baby May attacked anyone.  :yelcutelaugh: Hoping for a good outcome on the tumours.

I have mentioned the hydro elsewhere but no one else really sees it...okay time to PM Peta...thanks! 

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
I am so glad you got it worked out to get both of the babies.  They are absolutely beautiful.  Sending good thoughts and prayers that June can be helped. 

p.s. Please be careful with that little evil looking May lol  :doh: she just might lick you to death!!

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »
p.s. Please be careful with that little evil looking May lol  :doh: she just might lick you to death!!

Oh My,Yes, That evil little May. I shiver at the thought !  :yelcutelaugh:  Lilspaz, you do such good work with rats. You amaze me with your dedication.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
 I'll be praying for the sweet girl  :heart:  Also were on earth did you get that pink octo-play?  I thought they only came in red.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

I have mentioned the hydro elsewhere but no one else really sees it...okay time to PM Peta...thanks!

I could be wrong, but that's definitely my first thought when i saw the pictures. The rounded head and the ears set slightly apart due to the swelling. She just has that look, and I know the wobbliness can be a sympton. Good luck!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
When I saw her first pics, saw the domed head and was told how she acted it was the first thing I thought of as well...sigh.

This afternoon as she was sleeping on me, I found another small mass deep inside her abdomen on the other side from the big one.  I cried quietly as she slept.  She's just a lovely baby...she never deserved this.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Then she squirmed up to my shoulder as I read my book...

And this is where she ended up... bruxxing :heart:

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »
How precious  :heart:  I'm so, so sorry  :'(  I'm just glad she's with you  :heart:

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
They are beautiful; I'm so glad they found you.

This is one of the great things about this forum - the people here will always put their heart out for an animal in need, even if means it may be for only a short time. I found a  ferret last fall that someone let go; has insulinoma disease and needs pred twice a day. Then 2 months ago an ancient, geriatric dog crossed in front of my car; no ID or chip, skinny as an ASPCA commercial..I took her home and she's gained 4 pounds.

People say to me all the time how great it is that I took them in; I don't think it is great, it is what people should do. It's what everybody here does too.

Good luck with your girls; they already have found more love than they would have had before :heart:
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline gullideth

• Posts Too Much!
    • Blind Melon Forum
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
No matter what happens, you gave that little baby happiness! 

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
What little sweeties. I hope they can help poor little Junebug. I am glad they found you, I really love all the work you do for these rattums.

Offline CupOfTeaRattery

• Cup of Tea Rattery
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »
Good Luck
Alyssa, Cup of Tea Rattery, Orange County, Southern California http://cupoftearattery.weebly.com/index.html
Selectively breeding primarily for health and temperment. We specialize in Mink, American Blue and Ivory in Standard, Rex and Harley Coats with Dumbo and Top Ears.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
I agree she does look like she might have hydrocephalus.  Her head is quite rounded.  It might explain her neuro symptoms. 

Still pulling for all those lumps being abscesses!  She's so young!

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
Shelagh, Junebug's story just broke me down this morning.  :'(  I just want to hold her, hug her and whisper everything will be ok. But I know you will do that every single day. Fortunately rats live for the moment and whether she lives a long life, a short life, or anywhere in between, I know that with you she will be loved every one of those moments. For that, I thank you. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Offline YorkieLove

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
That picture of Junebug snuggled up to your neck just melted my  :heart:  brings tears to my eyes knowing that however long she will be with you she has already found peace and love.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
Well I find out the results of her FNA tomorrow but instead of hearing, "those tumours are inoperable, we can't do anything for her" we decided on an FNA for now.

The damaged eye should shrink up without any issues...which is good news.

The chest nodule is strange and very suspicious

The mild hydrocephalus was mostly confirmed by my vet, especially after telling him her behaviours.  He noticed her rounded head right away.

The big mass that I thought went very deep into her body isn't as deep as I thought, and "might" be operable once she's a bit bigger...so not a cure but a little more hope than this morning.

Well Dr Munn had to dash out on an emergency and no one knew the results of the FNA, but I was charged for a discounted cytology on my bill, so I guess we'll really know tomorrow about 10 am when Elyssa is going to call me :)

May especially was thrilled to be home.   ;D

Junebug was just a little tired, and wandered around quietly until she found her friend Fish.  :heart:

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
Man, she is so cute.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »
Oh wow, I really hope the chest tumour is operable! That's much better news than an automatic no! The girls are way too freaking cute, how can you handle those little faces.  :heart:

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
I'm just sitting here going- wow.  You are an awesome person.