Author Topic: Rats & Mice Ok Together?  (Read 16165 times)

Offline Xgates

Rats & Mice Ok Together?
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
I have 2 female dumbos I bought when they were just a few months old, I must say they are truly friendly and affectionate, this is also the first time I've ever had rats that when I put my face to theirs they kiss me on the lips and show affection...

Well regardless of how friendly they seem, can rats get along and play with mice?

I have two mice I bought at the pet shop, actually they're what are known as Silkie and they are quite the characters, one a male, the other a female.

Well the other day I put them all on the couch together and the mice certainly seemed a bit scared and the rats didn't pay them to much attention, but as they'd roam around on the couch and come near each other then the rats would stop and really start giving them a smelling over...

Also one of my female rats put her hand on the mouse's head and was acting like she was going to start grooming/cleaning it...

So can they get along together?

THANKS
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:20:25 AM by Xgates »

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
Re: Rats & Mice Ok Together?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »
I would not risk that. It would only take a split second for the rats to attack and kill your mice or injure them badly. It's not worth the risk. The rats have each other to play with, and well... you shouldn't have the male and female mice playing together any way.

When I was young and dumb with my pets, I had a rat who was the most easy going rat ever. I was dumb and would literally just put new rats I would just get directly in her cage and walk away. No introductions, nothing, just oh hey here's a new friend for you. She was perfect. Took them in as her babies. She was just and over social rat, loved everyone. She would even get out of her cage at night to visit the dogs or rather go to try to sleep with the dogs in my parent's bed. She trained the other rats to do the same. So over all, yes, very friendly rat.
I then got a pair of gerbils. I figured oh hey, she gets along with all the other animals, why not gerbils. Good thing I decided to put a divider in the cage because I would have a dead gerbil. She actually broke through the cage divider (not a make shift one, it came with the cage) to get to her. So ugh..... no... I don't care how friendly your rat is, and I don't care if one day went ok... I would not continue to let rats and mice have play time together.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 02:27:03 AM »
Rats are predators of mice. They can, and will, kill and eat them.

When I was much, much younger I had a mouse tank on top of my rat cage. VERY docile and sweet rats, the laziest and mellow things. The mouse escaped one day. The worst part was I saw him and was heading to fix the lid on the tank when he dropped in. Within seconds, dead mouse. I didn't even have time to get across the room.

So no, inter-species play when one is the predator of another is extremely unsafe.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »
I'm thinking no, also.  I had a friend who had both...and they always kept playtimes separate.

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
Seconded everything RattiesSix said. I had mice and rats in the same room. My mouse got out when I was cleaning her cage. No surprise there, they hated me. My oldest rat, Mia, grabbed the mouse. I was only a second behind her. She had it in a grip where she looked like she was going to groom it like a baby. I startled her into pausing so I didn't get to find out if she intended to kill it or lick it but I was able to get the mouse away from her. No one got hurt. Had I been seconds later, she probably would have killed my mouse and had herself a nice little snack. Same reason you'd never let a rat and ferret out together and the same reason most people don't risk cats and rats getting closer together than absolutely nessisary. Yeah, it works out sometimes but all you need is one second of instinct and you are burying someone.

Offline Dianaj

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
I had the sweetest rat ever and she lived next to 2 gerbils who were in a  habitrail for 2 years.  One day I though it would be cute if they touched noses.  My sweet little rat attacked in seconds.  It was like she had been waiting for that moment forever.  She actually tried to lurch though the gerbil opening to get at him. Luckily no one was injured. Other smaller rodents are competition for rats.  They can't be friends.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
NO in the wild rats eat mice. DO not let them all play together. Even though this one time nothing came of it, I wouldn't do it agian.

Also You know you shouldn't have a male and female mouse living together right? You are going to have babies on yoru hands very soon  :doh:

Offline Peace&Colby

• RIP Colby หลับให้สบายนะ
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Rats are predators of mice. They can, and will, kill and eat them.

When I was much, much younger I had a mouse tank on top of my rat cage. VERY docile and sweet rats, the laziest and mellow things. The mouse escaped one day. The worst part was I saw him and was heading to fix the lid on the tank when he dropped in. Within seconds, dead mouse. I didn't even have time to get across the room.

So no, inter-species play when one is the predator of another is extremely unsafe.
This very thing had actually happen to my mouse, she escape the cage, get into my trio's cage and got killed. So no, it is definitely not a good idea to let them play with each other.
Also, I think you should separate males and females from each other, otherwise you will have at least 7+ baby mice within a few months.

I live in Thailand, so some product might not be available here.

<3 My 4 dogs, 3 hamsters, 2 cavies, 3 rats, 2 rabbits and a colony of fancy mice<3

Offline Xgates

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »
Ok no rats and mice together playing...

I want to keep the mice together to breed... ;)

THANKS guys... :)

Offline RatNook

• Posts Too Much!
  • Never judge from the outside.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »
*sigh*
~Alyssa

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:46:11 AM »
*sigh*

+1

OP why do you want to breed? What are your goals? Do you even know the genenic back round of the animals in question? Can you afford to keep all of them if no one adopts them and not to mention the vet care....

Offline MiserySmith

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
^
"I have two mice I bought at the pet shop, actually they're what are known as Silkie and they are quite the characters, one a male, the other a female."
 That's certainly NOT the animals to breed, pet store animals are treated like crap and bred repeatedly, which causes a lot of health problems down the line. Not to mention, if you don't even know about mice & rats together you certainly are no breeder.
"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?"-
Edgar Allan Poe

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »
You may want to check out this forum: http://thefunmouse.com/

I hope you have a vet that treats mice. And are aware of possible and probably complications of breeding pet shop mice. They can be just as expensive with rats and tend to have more issues with pregnancy including but not limited to cannibalism.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »
Yes. Please dont breed unless you have people who want to adopt them first.  What are you going to do with what could easily be 20 mice in one month? 

Offline irradella

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »
Because everyone else is talking about how the rat might attack the mouse I just wanted to say you should keep them separate for the rat's sake as well. My boyfriend tried to introduce his mouse to my rat Peanut and the mouse (Batman) felt threatened and tried to attack my rat. Luckily I was there to prevent anyone getting hurt, but the mouse was very territorial and well...pissed off. So even if the rat doesn't attack, a mouse could easily injure and eye or tail of a rat.