Author Topic: Stamp Sucker on my Forehead  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Stamp Sucker on my Forehead
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
I stupidly saw an ad on Craigslist  :doh:

I know we aren't allowed to post the link but this is what is said;

I don't know how to put this without me sounding like a bad parent but I'm in need of someone to please take care of my rabbit Cowabunga. I got him about 7 months ago and was told he another rabbit hurt him when he was little. At the time of when I got him, he could walk (not well, but good enough), however he is now doing much worse and I have unfortunately come to the conclusion I can no longer look after him. He is VERY lovable but also very inmoble. I'm not sure why either. I gave him prescribed medicine from the House Rabbit Society and that was working well, but I ran out and cannot afford it anymore. There is NO rehoming fee because I want the right person to have him. As of now, I have to pick him up and place him near the water bottle or food bowl for him to eat/drink. Please email me if you can help make him better. These are two pictures from when he was healthy and moving around. : ) he was an indoor rabbit but he's outside in a hutch we built him with his bunny buddy Togepi. He has NEVER tried to bite me or anyone. Very docile and kind. Thanks.

I have sent her a lot of questions but how would you care for an immobile rabbit? My first thought was my husband could make him a sort of rabbit wheelchair like they do for dogs so he can get around. I have no idea where we would keep him but my heart breaks for him  :(

This is the wrong place to be talked out of helping an animal in need so I may as well ask how I could properly care for him!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Stamp Sucker on my Forehead
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:01 AM »
It depends on why he's immobile and what you can do for him in the way of treatment. However, I once had a little rabbit who was splay legged to the point of being LITERALLY flat. It was a birth deformity that made him look almost like a sea turtle. I have pictures, I'll have to find them. He COULD scoot himself a little ways, but we had to keep him on soft fabric (Bedding was impossible for him to navigate.).

We used puppy pads under towels to absorb urine away from his body. But despite that, he still peed on himself often and needed to be wiped with unscented baby wipes and then dried. We had to clean up poops immediately and make sure they didn't get caught in the fur around his tail.

Even then, his skin sometimes got rather raw from being dragged and we started padding his cage more. He wasn't very prone to infection, luckily, so we just made sure he was on soft stuff.

The water bottle had to be very low, but he couldn't lift himself to drink from a bowl and using a saucer meant him immediately dousing his front. We also gave up on a food bowl for this reason and put his food on the ground in a pile. He just couldn't get his head high enough for even shallow dishes.

Another thing, he couldn't seem to regulate his temperature very well. Perhaps because he always had to be in the same position, I'm not sure. But we'd give him cool veggies and fruit in summer and give him snuggle sacks and such in the winter.

I'm mainly curious on just HOW immobile he is and what problems led to the disability. And also him being separated from his bunny pal might not end well for him, since bunnies bond so intensely sometimes. Is she giving up both rabbits?

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
Finally got an email back from the guy.

I may as well just copy and paste it so you can see what he says. You can pretty much gather what questions I asked by his reply.

thanks so much for writing to me. he did not come from the house rabbit society although they are the ones that gave me the medicine for him (which i'm out of). I'm 99% sure his front legs work OK but his back legs twitch a lot now so he has trouble standing. I can't remember what the medicine was called.... but I had to give him a shot every other day and give him something to eat. They didn't know for sure what was wrong with him other than what I told him (which was what the previous owner said about how he got hurt by another rabbit when he was a baby). I think hes not even 2 years old yet. His friend would stay here... which is sad in and of itself because they grew up together but she is a lot bigger and moody so I didn't think anyone would be interested in the pair. Feel free to give me a call anytime or write back!!!

I am so torn, we have 2 rabbits of our own who have a largish room in the (finished) basement which has a door to prevent the cat getting to them. I truly don't want another rabbit. I have no clue where we would put him because of the cat.  I think he is pulling on my heart strings because when I was about 12 we had my large lop eared rabbit PTS because of HED even though she was still so happy, had I known then about the wheelchair type things I may have at least tried to find her one  :(

The twitching though makes it sound like he has a trapped nerve or something. Of course we would take him to the vet to try and figure everything out but it gives me slight hope.

Someone needs to talk me out of this before my husband goes crazy  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »
I would be nooo good at talking you out of it.  :yelcutelaugh: But rabbits with mobility issues can live happy lives if taken care of properly! Perhaps you could foster him until you find him a suitable home?